SAU Community

Gran Turismo 3 Drifting

GFXman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaah shit, I've been living in Japan for the last 3-odd years, and engine power here is measured in "ps" (PS is short for Pferdestarke, the term for metric horsepower... 1.013 = 1Hp), and thats what the cars are measured by in the Jap version of GT3.

Im having fun with a 1000hp RZ Supra, go from a standing start in 3rd just b4 a corner and start drifting straight away along with the accelerator tapping works niceee. Another good drifter is the Austin Martin V12 Vanquish..:D:D.. give that one a try.

well, i try and i try but right now i got crap for skillz...i'm using a r32 skyline gts....it works great for midfield raceway, but i want to take it to grand valley, but in order to go there u have to be able to do a 180 degree drift, and well i cant do that...plus, i use a automatic transmission, it works fine cuz the manual is tricky to use...so thx for the help rezz, but i ask u if u could tell me how to do the 180 slide, and do u be really specfic about it as its hard for me to understand things that are super simple. thx

Yeh ive been playing with it for a bit, it seems the 200SX type X (180SX) with about ~400hp, dumpt and hard, camber front drifts exceptionally well and you can link corners very well, still can hoop it in lower gears if not careful though

also played with a 300zx with about 460hp and it was beautiful, damn thing drifted perfectly lot of trouble to spin it

I found when I played the game, the 300zx was the best drift car, With about 4.5 degrees camber on the front wheels, about 600 hp, few cm off the ground, and stiff suspension, was the most fun drift car I built....

Looks good Deep purple with White Tri spokes :(

I find that i can't control RWD cars :D I use the R34 GTR with just over 1000hp and the FWD set to be pretty low but just enough to stop you from spinning too easily. You can be really agressive with this car - same for most of the 4wd cars.

I guess i need more practice with RWD cars :)

Anyone still GT2 drifting?

I don't have a ps2 yet.... But GT2 is good fun, in timetrial mode on Arcade. I like Autumn ring mini/Autumn Ring (turn around and do the course backwards, its better). I like the R32 GTS-T, with about 370hp, the RX7 GT-turbo '83 and GT-X '90, and the DR30 RS-X with about 421hp. I have a "JMS replica" R33 GTS-T which is not bad , but is very touchy. The AE86 is good but requires a lot of commitment to corner entry which goes wrong easily.

The S13/RPS13 cars are too twitchy, and the s14/s15 are not responsive enough.

I basically use supersoft/normal tyre combos, lowered to the bumpstops up front, springrates I normally leave basically as the 'full customisation' default, I might up the bound rates and swaybars, 3.5 degrees camber up front and 1.5-2.0 rear. 2 way LSD works well, all the cars have twin plate clutches and full customisation boxes set fairly close.

I set my cars a little softer than some people so they are more predictable, and also weight transfer is enhanced, I use feint drift more than handbrake to set the car up, so I need a big weight shift to get it sideways. Also running the suspension that little bit softer helps transfer more weight forward under braking drift.

Also GT2 cars seem to have a "camber threshold" that is, too much front camber tends to induce understeer.

anyways,

hope that helps some people

Originally posted by GFXman

how you going with your videos dude?

No luck yet, I'm thinking of shooting it again with a digital camera (with vid-rec funtion) and using a USB interface with the memory stick... although I'm still not sure what to do with the file after that.

once you've got the file on your pc, just compress it with Windows Movie Maker or something similar.

VirtualDub is pretty good (and free)

For web delivery, you're prolly best to use WMV format as it compresses ALOT. The trade off is obviously quality.

If you want any help, just PM me

divx gives good quality, but just for the sake of demonstrating the skills, quality isn't really necessary. wmv give much smaller files which is perfect for web delivery. divx is better when quality is required

IMHO :O

ok......i tried the MT and i kinda got the feeling for it.....but when trying to use it in drifting, thats where the probublems start. first off... i dont know whether to shift up or down when coming into the cornewr cuz i dont know if u want to give/take away torque....my guess is upshift so that ur rpms dont max out on u when ur in the turn. i also switched from my R32 to a Supra RZ with 1000hp. i went to fred mayer and checked out the magazines on drifting and about blew my head off with confusion.....i just cant tell what to do......so if one of u could send me a video file with "how to drift" stuff on it like a replay or something that would be most generious (i sound like a teachers pet right there..lol) of u. oh and on the video could u plz put the thing were it tells when ur accelarating and braking so i can tell what ur suppossed to do and not to do. thx

Originally posted by SmOkEuRbEsMoKeD

first off... i dont know whether to shift up or down when coming into the cornewr cuz i dont know if u want to give/take away torque....my guess is upshift so that ur rpms dont max out on u when ur in the turn.

Ok:

1) BALANCE. It's no good using a 1000hp car, coz theres no way that you can "feather" the throttle button carefully enough. Why? How do I know this? It's a 740kw car! When it comes on boost, with super soft slicks or not, that thing is gonna kick out violently. Theres no way to hold a drift coming into, through, and then out of the corner. I've tried it sooooo many times since early 2001, and why is it I can pull off almost perfect, linked, handbraked drift with the 180sx/Silvia's, yet with ANYTHING else it just gets frustrating coz the cars either spin out, or just do a gay little tail wag?

2) TECHNIQUE. Brake, shift down, tap the throttle. Brake, shift down, tap the throttle. Brake, shift down, tap the throttle. Brake, shift down, tap the throttle.:( Of course if your coming up to a hairpin or a slower corner, you'd have to shift down 2 gears or more depending. IT'S ALL ABOUT SETTING THE CAR UP BEFORE THE CORNER. Reduce the speed until you think you can manage the car through the approaching corner. the thing is, it helps if your going SLOWER, because you can easily speed up if you need to, the hard thing is slowing down again. You should be able to control the car without using the brakes so much during the drift (for now), but if your too fast into the corner, well, your gonna go off the track!

3) PATIENCE. Keep at it. You will get it. I set my controller up like this: R1 = Shift up, R2 = Shift down, Square = Brake, X = Accelerator, Circle = Handbrake, Triangle = Look Back. This set up leaves your left hand to solely do steering only. Using the GT FORCE Steering Wheel sucks coz you almost brake the thing trying to do lefthand corner to righthand corner links...

About the video, my video card in my computer is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440, and I have no way to connect my PS2 to the computer, but as soon as I get it sorted, I`ll post up a nice demo at Grand Valley...