SAU Community

Getting A Drift Car Off The Line

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think this is a major problem. I dont understand why people feel the need for huge launches at the start of runs sure it heats the tyres up but at the end of the day unless u are on a very short run up to turn 1 you can generally keep up plus u have a shit load of grunt 310kw i dont imagine there would be to many cars running rd that would really leave you for dead once you are up an going

In saying this if you feel this is a problem try as Majanal has said an raise the rear of the car. I have also heard of guys having less air pressure in there tyres to gain traction as there is more give.

i wouldn't have posted if it wasn't a problem, there are a few guys with a better power to weight ratio than me. i have tried softer rear springs and have taken some more weight out which helped a bit, but i'm still having trouble getting traction. can someone please explain how raising the back can help, i can't get my head around it. wouldn't you lower the back to transfer weight over the rear wheels?

as soon as the weight transfer stops where do you think the resulting reaction goes soon as the shocks gets to their lowest point.straight to the tyres.but then on lift (rebound)the tyres will begin to spin because the rear end will become lofty.

thats why having the rear end raised is a good idea for traction purposes.and thats why drag racers do it this way.

i couldn't keep up with the 300 on the the weekend dan, probably a good thing cause it might have been costly when you spun.

Yeah, sorry about that one mate, I of course didn't intend to spin in front of you.

We picked the 300 up a bit in the rear and it made instant changes to the drive off the line.

I wonder if the tyres are affecting it? Are you going to Oran this weekend?

its all in the rear geometry, what sort of traction rod mods and cradle angle mods are you using?

Remember to set up the traction rods you need to set it up on a wheel aligner without the rear shocks and simulate wheel travel and andjust them to the pont where there is as little toe change over the travel as possible (use you ride hieght as the cetre point). Secondly we had the same issue at eastern creek where the wheelworx car got way off the line and cat lost the second battle purely on lack of proximity. Changing to super pineapples extra 6mm inclination on the cradle has now fixed the launch issue and helped alot with drive out of corners.

check your lower control arm bushes too, i have seen huge dynamic changes in toe due to worn lower bushes.

Yeah, sorry about that one mate, I of course didn't intend to spin in front of you.

We picked the 300 up a bit in the rear and it made instant changes to the drive off the line.

I wonder if the tyres are affecting it? Are you going to Oran this weekend?

i was going to, but i am going to vic on the 8th instead

its all in the rear geometry, what sort of traction rod mods and cradle angle mods are you using?

Remember to set up the traction rods you need to set it up on a wheel aligner without the rear shocks and simulate wheel travel and andjust them to the pont where there is as little toe change over the travel as possible (use you ride hieght as the cetre point). Secondly we had the same issue at eastern creek where the wheelworx car got way off the line and cat lost the second battle purely on lack of proximity. Changing to super pineapples extra 6mm inclination on the cradle has now fixed the launch issue and helped alot with drive out of corners.

check your lower control arm bushes too, i have seen huge dynamic changes in toe due to worn lower bushes.

how should i set up the cradle? do you sell pineapples? my lower control arm bushes are worn out, i'll change them before the next round. now to find a wheel aligner with patience. :laughing-smiley-014: thanks for the advice.

Edited by DRIFTER