SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

yeah I think it's pi to 4 places.

yes castor will have a bit of effect on camber and toe. they all kind of interact with each other as all the arms are pulling in a different plane but all pulling against each other.

How are you going to adjust camber? most of the upper arms are near impossible to do with the wheel on, and some are still a bit tricky even with wheel off. eccentric bushes can be easier though.

How are you going to adjust camber? most of the upper arms are near impossible to do with the wheel on, and some are still a bit tricky even with wheel off. eccentric bushes can be easier though.

correct, i've got SK's bushes with the eccentric centres.

i'm not sure how i'll go about it, i'll figure it out as i get the kit :D

but from what i understand you bolt the alignment gauge onto the wheel studs - so you don't actually need the wheel on to measure the angles. ideally you'd want them on though.

jack the car up, adjust, measure? repeat?

those pics are turn 2 at Oran Park on the first lap....not sign of the other 35 non rwd cars though lol

not sure what killed the motor, but since there is good compression 1-5 and 40psi in #6 lets assume it pinged to death. nothing showed on the PFC and I didn't hear or feel it though. until all the oil go out the breather that is.

anyway, gives me somethign to do on the off season.

Russ, that evo 9 is doing 1.19 on oran park gp (2 sec quicker than my car and the other evos and wrxs). not bad for a standard car, but then again the gtp cars (same spec but on slicks) are doing 1.15s.

but then one of the sneaky buggers got past and I was running 2nd for 7 laps.

then the motor blew up. pretty much the normal day for a GTR

Aw man! You have the worst luck :bunny:

I opened up unique cars today to find a wright up on troy, some chick and rb20 powah at the dutton. had some good pics of the car. And according the article troy is a crazy driver, crazy but fast, and likes passing ferrari's round the outside :nyaanyaa:

Yeh, Juz was too kind when talking it up for me. :D

here's a link to a pic of my car from last weekend's Australian Hillclimb Championship

http://www.rpmphotography.com.au/v/Browsin...7/ACT_11939.jpg

230rwkw CA18DET in a ~900kg Datsun 1200. Still not quite as fast as my damn-near-stock R32 GTR was around Mt Cotton.

Hey mate, nice pic of the datto looks good!

What are all the f1 style machines getting around there tho. that looks pretty cool, how well do they go?

they're called formula libre cars. they're pretty much purpose built hillclimb cars, but some are converted F2 or Formula Ford chassis. Many run motorbike engines, some run old F2 engines and some are even ex-F1 engines, many are turb or supercharged, and one even runs a turbo rotary. And they're incredible to watch - awesome accelleration! Peter Gumley won outright in his SCV, with Andrew Howell only a tenth or so behind in his Gould. Until the last run of the weekend they were seperated by only 1 hundreth of a second!

yeah Gumley ran 37.53, 0.11 away from his own track record. Only 11 people have ever gone under 40 seconds on that track, and 5 of them did it this weekend!

The last hillclimb for the year at Mt Cotton is on Sunday December 2. There won't be as many open wheelers at that one being just a club round rather than the national chamionship, but there'll still be a sub 40 sec open wheelers there. Definitely worth watching. MG Car Club site has all the details

i was there! only as a spectator - it was awesome! :)

edit: ps thing thing is impressive... http://www.rpmphotography.com.au/v/Browsin...G_7210.jpg.html

LOL...that thing is quite the animal. Holds plenty of records down in Vic. AWD running gear from a HiLux with a sprint car motor and auto box...with big tyres :)

Love your Datto hrd-hr30! When you say slower then your GTR, by how much?

LOL...and yeh. Shameless plug. check out the latest Unique Cars Guide for a feature on the little 20 :spank:

Its funny how similar the r34 is to the r32 once you pull all the interior out, almost a carbon copy

Similar yes but i've never seen those b-pillar floor braces before, not in an r32 or r33, must be an r34 thing.

LOL...that thing is quite the animal. Holds plenty of records down in Vic. AWD running gear from a HiLux with a sprint car motor and auto box...with big tyres :thumbsup:

LOL...and yeh. Shameless plug. check out the latest Unique Cars Guide for a feature on the little 20 :P

Sure about that? I thought it was Nissan Patrol 4wd system... either way - cool sounding car!

Edit: Just found this on PF:

OK, Kevin's car.

It now has 880bhp nascar 6lt Chev engine, manual's auto 4spd 5000 stall (so no clutch and expensive manual and less time lost in gear changes), Toyota Hilux transfer case, R200 diffs with LSD's front and rear, Proflex suspension, 11" slicks all round. Faster than any WRX/EVO yet encountered. Massively fast in the wet. Has won the last Mt Gambier event outright, Aust champion in hillclimbs in class last 3 years

LOL...that thing is quite the animal. Holds plenty of records down in Vic. AWD running gear from a HiLux with a sprint car motor and auto box...with big tyres :D

LOL...and yeh. Shameless plug. check out the latest Unique Cars Guide for a feature on the little 20 :rofl:

thanks Roy. I did 2 hillclimbs there in the GTR and ran a 46.24 on 225/50*16 RE55S on the stock rims. only mods were 0.9bar on std turbos, HKS exhaust, Mines ECU, BeeR BOVs, Buddy Club coilovers, but no camber correction - it had about 4 deg rear and nothing up front. So there was a bit more potential in the car with some camber tweaking and wider rubber. The suspension wasn't really well suited to that track - it would pick up the inside rear through 2 of the slow corners at the base of the hills which definitely hurt the times as you couldn't really put all the power down as early as you wanted to there.

The best I can do in the 1200 after 3 hillclimbs there is 46.33, so its only a tenth slower. Its way faster in a straight line but a little limited in terms of traction... Split times, the GTR was faster in the 1st sector predictably enough thanks to the standing start, and the 1200 is a little faster in the other 2 sectors, but not quite enough to make up the gap.

that monster Z thing definitely uses a hilux transfer case - I was talking to the guy on Friday's practice day. They claim 830bhp!!! It certainly gets up and goes! bit rough just having a locked centre in the 4wd system. I would have expected that to cause handling problems due to transmission bind, but its certainly a brutally effective device. and if you took the front spoiler off, it would probably go alright on the beach too!

Edited by hrd-hr30

that monster Z thing definitely uses a hilux transfer case - I was talking to the guy on Friday's practice day. They claim 830bhp!!! It certainly gets up and goes! bit rough just having a locked centre in the 4wd system. I would have expected that to cause handling problems due to transmission bind, but its certainly a brutally effective device. and if you took the front spoiler off, it would probably go alright on the beach too!

HAHA - you'd get a lot of strange looks too!!

friend of mine haad his stock mx-6 on the beach once (dont ask me why) anyway cop pulls him over and goes - mate what sort of four wheel drive is this. Mazda he says. :D

here's a link to a pic of my car from last weekend's Australian Hillclimb Championship

http://www.rpmphotography.com.au/v/Browsin...7/ACT_11939.jpg

230rwkw CA18DET in a ~900kg Datsun 1200. Still not quite as fast as my damn-near-stock R32 GTR was around Mt Cotton.

I have watched your car many a times, not realising that you were a member on here.

Sounds pretty mean, and gets up the hills well.