SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

thanks Roy. I did 2 hillclimbs there in the GTR and ran a 46.24 on 225/50*16 RE55S on the stock rims. only mods were 0.9bar on std turbos, HKS exhaust, Mines ECU, BeeR BOVs, Buddy Club coilovers, but no camber correction - it had about 4 deg rear and nothing up front. So there was a bit more potential in the car with some camber tweaking and wider rubber. The suspension wasn't really well suited to that track - it would pick up the inside rear through 2 of the slow corners at the base of the hills which definitely hurt the times as you couldn't really put all the power down as early as you wanted to there.

The best I can do in the 1200 after 3 hillclimbs there is 46.33, so its only a tenth slower. Its way faster in a straight line but a little limited in terms of traction... Split times, the GTR was faster in the 1st sector predictably enough thanks to the standing start, and the 1200 is a little faster in the other 2 sectors, but not quite enough to make up the gap.

that monster Z thing definitely uses a hilux transfer case - I was talking to the guy on Friday's practice day. They claim 830bhp!!! It certainly gets up and goes! bit rough just having a locked centre in the 4wd system. I would have expected that to cause handling problems due to transmission bind, but its certainly a brutally effective device. and if you took the front spoiler off, it would probably go alright on the beach too!

Thats one thing that i think too many people forget at our DECAs and things. One event is about 55-60seconds depending where they put the cone. The launch gate is awkardly placed just before a slow right hander which goes into an area for a 180deg turn before entering the faster section of the track. My little RB20GTSt can get within 1.0-1.5 seconds of their times on this event, and for the first 15 seconds of the event i am bleeding time because of rwd launch and turning 180deg. But on the flowing stuff the GTSt can actually gain time on them... (well thats my take on it anyway)

Similarily on the shorter event, its only about 21 seconds long from memory and the hard right hander is at the very top of 1st gear....again the placement of this turn really hurts the rwd guys. But again i can normally be within a about second or less over the event as i think the GTSt can carry a bit more corner speed and is a bit more nimble through the fast cones.

But the other side is they can do those times a lot more consistantly...with the rwd its a lot more difficult to do the quick times consistantly...but its very satsifying when you do a 58.60 in a 230rwkws GTSt and the 330-350awks GTRs do a high 56 or mid 57 :rofl:

LOL...what i often wonder is if these style events were actually two complete laps how a rwd car would perform???? Obviously slower from the standing start...but on a flying lap?????

I think very well indeed Troy, as the standing start hurts a lot in a RWD. I really struggle off the line, but can obviously gain in the rest of the course. The long wang is generally where I do best, running top 5 or close enough to. I do a lot better than on the short wang as I don't have enough track to claw the time lost at the start.

cheers phunky.

Thunderbolt, are you the guy who runs the white 180SX out there? Its doing very good times too.

No that's not me, I know the fellow that owns it though.

I hope to have mine out at the next meet. This is mine: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sh...74#entry3267974

Edited by Thunderbolt

hrd-hr30

Yeah the White 180sx is me, I'm still playing in the 47's but will most likely go to full slicks and dog box next year

You would have also seen the 180 at the Qld challenge last year when you were the fastest outright in your skyline if i remember right

Didn't see you there this year?

Here is a pic of my 180 on the autocross track this year

and the dutton rally QLD

Troy

post-17339-1195336024_thumb.jpg

post-17339-1195336180_thumb.jpg

Troy,

Ive noticed similar times etc at DECA and with our TEXI.

There were a few cars who are faster than me on the tracks, but on these events and courses like the wang's - Im just as quick, if not quicker.

I dont understand it! I guess I just like that type of driving better to the track!

:ermm:

Bathurst supersprint this year will be interesting - hrd-hr30 - you coming along again?

I wanted to do the Bathurst Speed Weekend, but can't make it down there unfortunately. The car desperately needs a steering box and a couple of other things. Didn't like the idea of 200+kph into the chase in the datto with vague steering.

Troy, nothing wrong with 47s for a street registered car! Should be very quick with full slicks and better ratios - that place is all about gearing and power. I didn't do the QLD Challenge this year - sold the GTR just before that and the new toy isn't registered. I think I was 3rd fastest outright in 2006, but was only running on Federal 595 road tyres so I was very happy with that! fastest on a couple of the stages IIRC - QR and WivenhoeII.

Thunderbolt, I probably won't be running at the next hillclimb (same date as Bathurst, and my car will be out of action), but might try to come along to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
wow nice :( you race it?? or built it for client?

is the battery in the front bar? :P

yes its our race car...we run 9's in it down the strip...makes over 500awkw

no battery is in the boot, but the isolator is on the front bar...hence the battery isolation switch mounted inside front decal as per ANDRA regs.

• 4 weeks later...

You funny bunch of bastards.

Benm It's powered by a Suzuki hayabusa 1300cc and weighs 440 kilos.

Best thing is if you don't have a cute little arse like mine you don't fit.

So whens the next SAU track day?.

Neil.

who knew being built like a jockey had some advantages?!? well i may not be built like a jockey, but I am hung like a horse. :P

nice one neil, should be pretty bloody rapid. and being conventionally powered will require only 1/10th the number of rebuilds as your rotor motor. :)