SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

As for TopGear, its fun but I'll more then likely only be watching this year too. I'll try and compete in only the JDM rounds at the QRDC events this year. Would be nice to have more contenders this year though. The most JDM cars entered last year in one round (other then MX5's) was about 9 I think, 6 or 7 of which were WRX's and only 1 of those actually lasted to the final race on Sunday. A couple didnt show, another blew a box, another blew an engine etc etc. Would be nice to see some of these fast Skylines and S13/14/15's out there.

I'd still like to get involved in that, but after a run at QR I have a few issues to work through before its anywhere near ready to circuit race. Main ones being overheating after just a couple of laps and turbo flange studs/nuts coming loose. But with the car running like a dog and only on 14psi it ran a 58.23 on the Sprint track on 3yr old Toyo RA1s, so the old Datto shows a bit of promise. I've also made a few suspension changes after its first visit to a proper racetrack - before this it was all hillclimbs which are much lower speed and didn't really show up just how soft the suspension setup was. The car just about falls over in turn 2 at QR!

Edited by hrd-hr30

I'd still like to get involved in that, but after a run at QR I have a few issues to work through before its anywhere near ready to circuit race. Main ones being overheating after just a couple of laps and turbo flange studs/nuts coming loose. But with the car running like a dog and only on 14psi it ran a 58.23 on the Sprint track on 3yr old Toyo RA1s, so the old Datto shows a bit of promise. I've also made a few suspension changes after its first visit to a proper racetrack - before this it was all hillclimbs which are much lower speed and didn't really show up just how soft the suspension setup was. The car just about falls over in turn 2 at QR!

Yeah but it weighs about the same as a large pizza from Domino's too :)

Do you have an oil cooler of some sort on there? If not, get one but don't get a chinese one unless you dislike your engine. The cooler might be ok but the oil lines are poor quality rubber. Saw one in use on an R33 with big dollar engine where the rubber was falling apart and blocking the turbo oil feed. This caused the bearings to collapse and the turbo to die, followed by the bearing parts travelling to sump, being eaten by the dry sump pump and so on... Chinese hose cost bigtime.

hey harry

have you looked at the type of material for being used for your turbo studs?

i only ask as we were having the same problem once. it turned out to be the material the studs were made of , they were turning to jelly when hot and stretching,

i thought they were using genuine studs and they werent! the turbos nearly fell off!!

hey harry

have you looked at the type of material for being used for your turbo studs?

i only ask as we were having the same problem once. it turned out to be the material the studs were made of , they were turning to jelly when hot and stretching,

i thought they were using genuine studs and they werent! the turbos nearly fell off!!

Inconel studs are your best bet :P ...not cheap but no chance of stretching at temps

thanks for the tips guys. I've just replaced the studs with Sonic studs (mild steel) and metal-lock nuts. I really only bought them because they had the metal-lock nuts - I have no idea about the quality of the stud material. I always use genuine flange gaskets, but never thought about sourcing studs from Nissan. If it happens again I'll go looking for inconel studs. where did you guys source them?

RA1's are the gun hillclimbing tyre, but you have to buff them down for best performance. They do go off quickly on heavy cars if you're running multiple laps, but they're perfect for hillclimbing. The other options are RE55S WT compound - Mike Collin's 43sec WRX runs on them. Or the new Dunlop - everyone who's tried them at Mt Cotton has beaten their PB, so they look promising.

Yeah but it weighs about the same as a large pizza from Domino's too :blush:

Do you have an oil cooler of some sort on there? If not, get one but don't get a chinese one unless you dislike your engine. The cooler might be ok but the oil lines are poor quality rubber. Saw one in use on an R33 with big dollar engine where the rubber was falling apart and blocking the turbo oil feed. This caused the bearings to collapse and the turbo to die, followed by the bearing parts travelling to sump, being eaten by the dry sump pump and so on... Chinese hose cost bigtime.

yeah, it is light. at least until I get in it! should be in the low 900kg range I'd say.

it has a PWR oil cooler, but only had rubber lines fixed with hose clamps so it may have been done on the cheap... I'm relocating it to beside the radiator (was behind it) and using quality braided lines and fittings. also replacing the intercooler with one under the bumper that won't block the radiator anything like as much, and have fitted a front spoiler. Oh, and moved the air filter which was partially behind the radiator! and making some shrouds for it. And I've turned the boost down to 1bar instead of 1.5. Hopefully all that will get the overheating sorted and the lower boost should reduce the heat build up in the manifold a bit. Then it will get some suspension tweaks that will hopefully make it quicker around the track even though it lost 30 or 40kw at the wheels. oh, and I've also got to sort the fuel system - the surge tank is under the car nearly horizontal... the car has alot of good gear, but the execution is lacking in alot of areas. I guess that's the risk you take when you buy a car someone else built. But at least its all minor stuff.

If my memory serves me correctly I got my Inconel studs via Apexi. That was all the way back in 1999 though so I hope my memory isn't failing me. They may well be much more readily available now? For interest, I never had any issues with manifolds/turbos loosening on that vehicle using Apexi bits after lots of circuit use :blush:

We went there in the afternoon last sunday! :miner:

Mark only got three runs with a best time of 44.44 on the mediums we used last year at tsukuba so i am trying to find a softer tyre to have another go!

• 4 weeks later...

here is mine

http://www.deniliquinsportingcarclub.com/g...hp?g2_itemId=61

http://www.deniliquinsportingcarclub.com/g...hp?g2_itemId=39

http://www.skylineshack.com/racecar/000_0151.jpg <--- is a big pic so i won't put it up

I havent ran my car much and only at winton, power wise it was STD boost & missing up high (thanks to coil) but best time out of it was 1:41 at winton... and that was basically it's first run (was a regularity event so it was consistancy not speed). will have to get it back over...

But for a small rural town, we have a fair few dedicated track skylines...

cars below i have a share in

another R33 (RB30DET in the build) ---> http://www.deniliquinsportingcarclub.com/nissan/

Aus 31 with RB30ESCharged (our dirt car)

mates cars

GTS-X <--- Gibson replica (RB25)

32 GTR <--- my boss's car

some of our clubs members previous cars have been

R32 Tk GTR

R32 GTS-4

R32 GTS-T (4door)

Aus R31 with RB25DE (which done mid 40's at winton)

by the way the bar on my 33 racecar is a modified Tommy Kaira bar, with scoped air ducts etc. we made a mould if anyone wants one. (the indicators are air ducts for brakes etc)

Edited by webber

CARS

I have no recent pics, but this is of my CA18DET powered 1600 wagon (with VG30BB turbo) built for show/circuit/street

1600.jpg

I built this mad 200B also ... with a supercharged SR20DE motor. Surprised a few people at the drags LOL

200Bwagon_side.jpg

200Bengine.jpg

I'll hit the Mallala race circuit with the Stagea next month before I fit the turbo and cooler kit for a benchmark.

BIKES

When it comes to bikes, I took my TLR to track days

TLRrace2.jpg

For show too

TLRBikeShow2.jpg

I raced an Aprilia RS250 too

PC030058.jpg

NewLook003.jpg

I built a turboed CBR1000F drag bike!

drag001.jpg

And built my GSXR600 race bike

Picture002.jpg

In action

image013.jpg

And I race a custom built pocket bike at Pooraka (this bike broke the lap record on its first outing)

Picture011-1.jpg

I build it ... I race it ... I thrash it!

:)