SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

It should easily slip into the 16's with good tires as it was on Sunday. Thats what I was aiming for come the afternoon sessions but its hard with only 3 laps too..

Still coming to grips with the major changes to suspension geometry, Its not as easy as we thought to get it right. We struggled through the last 4 or 5 test days making small changes trying to data log everything possible and not guess what had to be changed but rather know what had to be done. As Duncan would agree its a slow but rewarding process.

And we have now found that what works on one circuit is far from correct for another.

Weekend before last at wakefield the car was really quick and consistant for the power it had. But same suspension and allignment was rubbish at oran park. According to the work logs I had we made some changes and got it into the 18's but it needed lower spring rates and different bars.

The whole time the engine has been kept very tame so I can get the car right first.

With the engine on song and a transmission that doesnt reject every gear change Im not sure how quick it will go yet..

If Steve could hear it come onto the straight im sure he would have heard my gearbox crying every shift it had to do.

I have some ideas of how quick it will be judging from sector times at wakefield and south circuit. We've done plenty of testing there and had some really fast and some really slow laps. New tires will be fitted for the next outing though.

Seems a lot of us skyline people play with all other makes of cars too. So here's my project.

What started life as a 1966 vw beetle is now pretty much entirely custom. The footprint (wheelbase and track) are the same as a 1994 porsche 968 turbo which is also where the front and rear suspension are from. Steering is 924, transmission is 930 axels are 911 and everything else in between is custom. The dash and floor linings are carbon fiber as are some of the exterior panels. Brakes are 968 4 spot brembo's all round, Wheels are 996 twin turbo with RE55 semis in 18x8 and 18x10. Shocks are honda civic tein super streets.

The engine is a custom air, oil and water cooled beast with a massive increase in displacement and a pair of trust T517'z. Dry sumped, intercooled and all the other crap you do to make it fast and strong. The goal is to have fun at drag and motorkarna days.

The colour is called atlas grey and is a careera GT colour. Its still a few months off completion. Cylinder heads are still being manufactured in the US so hopefully not too much longer.

DSC01513.JPG

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01623.JPG

DSC01294.JPG

Edited by Vspec R33

Yeah Brad time for a new gearbox. Was hard to hear at times over my old wastegate (love that sound the s15 makes, almost as much as the GTR's fuel system)

Wow, what a cool beetle! What sort of things are you building it for?

Yeah Brad time for a new gearbox. Was hard to hear at times over my old wastegate (love that sound the s15 makes, almost as much as the GTR's fuel system)

Wow, what a cool beetle! What sort of things are you building it for?

Motorkarna and drags, and the occasional sunday drive.

I checked the times from that natsoft site n i did 4 sessions, so 20 laps and they reckon i totalled 10? i dun get it....that and i felt my car was handling that much better in the last session i went out but now ill never kno if it went any quicker...

what sort of bracing is required to keep the rigidity when doing this?? is it riveted or glued in??

cheers

Linton

Hey Linton, it's only on top of the current metalwork as I wanted to keep the original tank and it would have been too costly/time consuming to chop it out and redesign it. It's more just a handy mounting area for the fuel setup and the easiest way to section off the fuel from the cabin for CAMS

That is an AWESOME VW mate, absolutley love it! Be sure to put up some more pics when she's done :)

Seems a lot of us skyline people play with all other makes of cars too. So here's my project.

What started life as a 1966 vw beetle is now pretty much entirely custom. The footprint (wheelbase and track) are the same as a 1994 porsche 968 turbo which is also where the front and rear suspension are from. Steering is 924, transmission is 930 axels are 911 and everything else in between is custom. The dash and floor linings are carbon fiber as are some of the exterior panels. Brakes are 968 4 spot brembo's all round, Wheels are 996 twin turbo with RE55 semis in 18x8 and 18x10. Shocks are honda civic tein super streets.

The engine is a custom air, oil and water cooled beast with a massive increase in displacement and a pair of trust T517'z. Dry sumped, intercooled and all the other crap you do to make it fast and strong. The goal is to have fun at drag and motorkarna days.

The colour is called atlas grey and is a careera GT colour. Its still a few months off completion. Cylinder heads are still being manufactured in the US so hopefully not too much longer.

man it looks awesome! even better than you described it to me. :) it is going to be absolutely mental when it's finished. amazing.

Yeah Chris i was there, came down for a bit at the end of the day to say hi cause it was enjoyable watching you lot go round and round from the grandstand :( But i spotted you, Ando, Clapa and someone else all leaving as i was driving down from the grandstand

Hey nice job on the beetle.. my friend has a nice bug who you might know if you post on vw forums. West side mufflers beetle?

i really like what you've done with suspension. his is more for straight line business...

Yep I know of Westi's car. His radical approach to weight reduction has the car down to something in the 600kg range including driver from memory. The first time ive ever seen someone take weight reduction so far as to make their own brake, clutch and acelerator pedals. He is a certified mad man!

Fuel system nearly complete... Really stoked with the job

Looks good Dane. Make sure the pump is well isolated from the alloy otherwise she will become a nice hollow space for the fuel pump noise to resonate in.