SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

Fark man, that is a great setup but an expensive way to make 250-270rwkws, (not saying its a bad thing) Just grab a 6boost manifold for $800, a 3071 for $1800 and the fraction of a second (tenth?) you will be slower around a track just means you get more track time then others :D Twin gates! Fark me, i understand the gain etc, but a 3071 is pretty punchy to start with.

Actually, dump the SR20s and throw a TD06 RB20 in there....make it late November after the Alpine Rally and i am in and should be good fun soudning better then all these SR20s :D

We should organise something Troy, as long as it's before OP closes :D

It is expensive, but not that bad considering the value of our dollar in the coming months. I'm having my manifold fixed this week, then I'll put it back on and run the car with it's current setup. If I'm happy with the combo then I'll just buy a 6Boost Manifold for 1k and go with that. If I'm not happy then I'll either go for a 6Boost with 3071 low mounted, or if funds permit the Full Race setup (providing our dollar gets above .90 US). If I could get that kit for around 4k, then sell off mine it won't be too bad... but I guess we'll just wait and see how my engine and turbo gel together as well as what sort of financial position I'm in at the time.

ps I hate stainless manifolds!

pps I like shiny things

Actually, dump the SR20s and throw a TD06 RB20 in there....make it late November after the Alpine Rally and i am in and should be good fun soudning better then all these SR20s :D

May as well chuck a CA in.....

Probably my most hated combo is rb20 in s13. It defines the term lead tipped arrow

I want the seat in the background. My phone's screen blacks out days at a time so email me re that sms i got late

And nothin wrong with a CA :D Will be interesting to be amongst all the NSW Silvias, late Nov-early Dec at OP and/or Wakefield

Baron: thanks for the repl, id have to agree about the headroom and weight, were was the crystal ball the day i imported the car :D

Ill have some pics to come but im working on a making a fiberglass mould to make a sort of plug to fill up the gap thus giving me the space and weight back. It will be made out of carbon and then painted the same color as the car. Hopefully it works out well :D

very nice mate. what are you doing to that poor virginal car! :D it should be one hell of a beast with 3.1L and those two massive turbos! I'm sure you've told me before but what plans for the head?

Thanks Beer Baron. Time has come to add some more power to the R34. I'd been thinking of doing this for a very long time, infact the idea happened around the time I bought the R34 from you.

The head im using on the first prototype is a vspec 2 R34 head. It will end up with a pair of poncams in it at the most, and maybe valve springs. The goal of this engine isnt massive power. Its to have a very wide torque band. Im hoping for +150nm off boost over an RB26 accross the entire rev range with more or less stock kind of boost response. Considering how the GTRS's perform on a 3lt RB30 I think my extra 100cc and shorter rod ratio will probably achieve that. I had considered 2530's on the engine but they would probably TOO responsive and have no legs after around 7000 rpm. This engine will still rev safely to 8500, valve springs being the limit.

Looks good Ian. Just a quick question, do the tops of the sleeves where they stick out of the block have flats on them to retain a better wall thickness?

Mike

These sleeves are about 6-7mm at the top of the flange where they seal to the head. They arent flats. Sleeves with flats are only needed for very high power levels, and im not wanting more than 650-700hp at the flywheel from this engine. A sleeve thickness of 6-7mm is still good for 200hp/cylinder with ease. Also you'd be interested in knowing the average wall thickness of the 05u blocks ive looked at is only around 2.8-3mm. Ive tested 4 so far. Ive heard the 24u blocks arent's necessarily any better either.

The block I posted a picture of broke through to the water galleries on every cylinder when bored to 92mm for the sleeves, in line with the welsh plugs. Fortunatly the block is partially grout filled and the sleeves are o-ringed at the base so water leaks arent an issue. I used a tight crush and loctite sleeve retainer on the sleeves as well.

With a keyed sleeves, the added contact surface area between the sleeve and head reduce the chances of the head moving around under extreme cylinder pressures. I dealt with that issue by having long dowels that go from the head through the spacer plate and into the block, and used 1/2" head stud and machined the head for them in such a way that I could have left out the dowels and there wouldnt have been any movement anyway. All machined to 0 thou.

Keyed sleeves arent necessarily able to withstand any more extreme pressure than a round sleeve. After all the sleeves still have the same thinnest area between the cylinders. If a keyed sleeve were to ever fail under extreme power levels you can be sure it would crack the sleeve at the point between the cylinders as thats the place where the elastacity of the sleeve is at its weakest. I think you'd be pushing a 1000hp nitrous shot into the engine to get it to break the sleeves though, and they'd probably be the last thing that would let go too.

The second prototype that im building will be using 10mm keyed sleeves and will be built for over 1000hp, but I need to buy a good R32 GTR to setup for drags to run that in first. Im not turning my R34 into a drag car. I like how it corners too much to do that to it.

I want to try to get to Oran Park prior to it's closing, you should bring the S13 out and we can have some fun :)

well the good news is, if you're serious, we've hired Oran Park on Sunday 4 October :(

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Or...ou-t279028.html

not many chances later than this...and its an SAU day.

and if you feel like a long weekend....the thursday before (1/10) is an open track day at wakefield too

Nice ylwgtr, what car did the housing come from? That is going to sound absolutely mental! There is nothing that sounds like a PP rotor...nothing!

Duncan: Thanks mate. The link is broken and I couldn't find it in the NSW events section, could you post the link again? I'm keen on it, just have to make sure the car will be ready after it's latest incident, and see if anyone wants to join me.

Troy, a few quick questions...what sort of weight is Oscar? And what sort of power will that PP 13B put out....lol and lastly what tyre size is it running. I am thinking that thing is going to be mentally fast , i mean 10-15seconds per lap quicker then your R34 around the average track!

Looking good Dave. Is that a 3071?

Ando: That would be awesome to compare setups and get a feel for how each mod has affected each car. Should definitely organise something. Matt (Boxheadmr) asked me to come to an NSCC day at Wakefield on the 8th November, which would be good, but want to make sure I get OP in there if I'm making the trip.

Thats the method to my madness :cool: .... you guys have taken a serious approach to the S13 setups and i am currently sitting on the fence on whether to take it to the next level or just leave it as is.

lol, I am a long way from serious driver or serious S13! :cool:

and yes badhairdave can come too. all this large turbo is giving me turbo envy... now thinking mine is too small... looks like you should have a great set-up there.

Amen to that! My little GT28r is left a little 'wanting' compared to these 3071 setups etc etc.... If only i had $2-3K spare....

I'm massively jealous of tis turbo setup, an seeing as my manifold just cracked I'm so tempted by it!

Full Race Twin scroll, twin external wastegate manifold

Twin scroll 3071R

Twin Tial 'gates

Full Race dump pipe

Who wants to sponsor a starving 180SX driver?? :blink:

Sheesh.... overkill much LOL.... :blink:

Another shitter enters the fray!

A fully complied ex-Boostcruising 1992 S13. lol. We've already stripped the weight, got stock bars on the way (should sell the mint Uras kit for good $). Pic is the night she came home, it's been sitting in this kid's shed for years.

Just need to sort a diff/coil overs, and some front brakes, and she's away.

Came with an RB20 conversion with RB25 'box, all for the tidy sum of $1500 :blink:

TimsSilvia.jpg

Edited by Marlin

Mmmmmm overkill... :blink:

Definite overkill, but I just think that the turbo setup is the most important aspect of the engine by far, and after 3 turbo setups on the car it might be time to bite the bullet and whip out the big guns. Pity my wallet says otherwise :blink:

Ben: Not bad for $1500 mate, you can sell the 'box for that! What are you going to do with it?

It's for a mate of mine who's shown some interest in getting a bit more involved. Figured something like this is a pretty good learner car, cheap to build, and not the end of the earth if he bins it.

Body-wise it's actually a ripper, will look alright once it's "de-wankered".

Duncan: Thanks mate. The link is broken and I couldn't find it in the NSW events section, could you post the link again? I'm keen on it, just have to make sure the car will be ready after it's latest incident, and see if anyone wants to join me.

ahh sorry bout that....just realised the hread is in nsw members as it is EOI only. Proper thread will be in NSW events in a few days.

It is a 100% goer, Sunday 4/10. $200.