SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

Fark man, that is a great setup but an expensive way to make 250-270rwkws, (not saying its a bad thing) Just grab a 6boost manifold for $800, a 3071 for $1800 and the fraction of a second (tenth?) you will be slower around a track just means you get more track time then others :) Twin gates! Fark me, i understand the gain etc, but a 3071 is pretty punchy to start with.

Actually that setup makes 26psi by 4000rpm and 290rwks at 22 psi at around 7700 rpm :)

Edited by juggernaut1

Actually that setup makes 26psi by 4000rpm and 290rwks at 22 psi at around 7700 rpm :D

Yeh, i recognised the pics from your build up thread and know its a great setup. But to get that good a result it costs money :) LOL, i am a tight ass and live with 19psi by 4300rpm and 260rwkws with 19psi with a pretty doughy power delivery. I have a shits and giggle build all worked out for an RB20 that i think would match it or get similar results, only i need a house with a garage first

Yes you gotta pay to play.

Could be done cheaper tho' ....get Kyle (6Boost) to make up a twin scroll mani and order the 3071 or 3076 turbo and twinscroll housing from Full-Race or ATP in the US or GCG here in Oz and keep stock intake......or if using a highport SR then go the Greddy intake. Tial gates can be had from anywhere. All other supporting mods are pretty much going to be the same regardless of the turbo setup.

As to the worthiness of the twin gates over the single gate version...Geoff Raicer (Full-Race) suggests its worth around 250rpm in which case you may be tempted to upsize to the 3076 over the 3071 for a cooler charge and bit more hp.

The beauty of the twin scroll setup is not so much peak hp (I think single scroll turbos actually produce higher peak hp) but a broader power band and rev range which is perfect for street and circuit duties ......and also the ability to respool the turbo in on/off throttle applications faster than a single scroll setup and because of this ability it actually feels like a big N/A engine which IMO is again perfect for street and circuit duties.

Regarding my setup........26 psi by 4000rpm (although it hauling by 3500rpm) and peak hp at 7700 and power doesn't taper off much at 8,000 (so its carrying torque to the red line) - so it has more or less a 4000rpm rev range which is not bad for a turbo motor.

I've never had much to do with the RB20 but they seem to lack a bit of mid-range torque based on the ones I've come accross at Barbagello.....then again so did my brothers LS2 powered commodore - too slow out of the corners.

But sounds like you've got it all worked out tho' - good luck with it.

PS - my brother ended fitting an APS twin turbo kit to the LS2 to give it some grunt out of the corners. We've never been back out to the circuit since our respective mods but should be interesting when we do.

Edited by juggernaut1

See, I don't actually think it would work out much cheaper doing it here Ian. My (rough) calculations are as follows:

6 Boost Manifold - $1000 - $1100 or thereabouts (not sure on the twin scroll)

3071/3076 - $2000

Tial gate - $4-500

We're already at around $3500 and don't have a dump pipe or the second wastegate. I actually think the full kit is decent in price in comparison if you could get it for a bit of $4k when the exchange rate improves a touch.

That's what's made me think of it, apart from your build, is the price compared to a full kit here. There's really not much in it and you get the best setup going around

See, I don't actually think it would work out much cheaper doing it here Ian. My (rough) calculations are as follows:

6 Boost Manifold - $1000 - $1100 or thereabouts (not sure on the twin scroll)

3071/3076 - $2000

Tial gate - $4-500

We're already at around $3500 and don't have a dump pipe or the second wastegate. I actually think the full kit is decent in price in comparison if you could get it for a bit of $4k when the exchange rate improves a touch.

That's what's made me think of it, apart from your build, is the price compared to a full kit here. There's really not much in it and you get the best setup going around

Hi Dane,

There would also be GST and import duties to factor into the original cost of the kit....unless you bought it in bit by bit....hint hint.

If you like I can pull out my records and let you know the all up actual cost of mine including import duties?

You could then get a quote from Kyle for the manifold and I know he can also supply turbos and gates - so you could get a comparative kit price and do the maths.

Cheers,

Ian

That would be great if you wouldn't mind Ian. I forgot about the pesky GST and import taxes... haven't had to fork out for those for imported goods in a while!

With those tossed in you may be right mate, will be good to get a comparative cost.

Cheers,

Dane

That would be great if you wouldn't mind Ian. I forgot about the pesky GST and import taxes... haven't had to fork out for those for imported goods in a while!

With those tossed in you may be right mate, will be good to get a comparative cost.

Cheers,

Dane

OK Dane - my costs were as follows:

manifold US$1449.00

2 x 44mm gates US$ 698.00

downpipe US$ 349.00

v-band US$ 25.00

3071turb/ex housing US$1271.00

shipping US$ 385.00

total US$4,177.00

AUD at $0.937 AU$4,457.79

Plus

import duty AU$210.82

GST AU$556.78

charges & fees AU$68.20

TOTAL COST AU$5,293.59

Note that there is no import duty on the turbo, manifold is 5% import duty and other parts are 10% import duty

Hope that helps your decision.

Edited by juggernaut1

OK Dane - my costs were as follows:

manifold US$1449.00

2 x 44mm gates US$ 698.00

downpipe US$ 349.00

v-band US$ 25.00

3071turb/ex housing US$1271.00

shipping US$ 385.00

total US$4,177.00

AUD at $0.937 AU$4,457.79

Plus

import duty AU$210.82

GST AU$556.78

charges & fees AU$68.20

TOTAL COST AU$5,293.59

Note that there is no import duty on the turbo, manifold is 5% import duty and other parts are 10% import duty

Hope that helps your decision.

Thanks a lot for the Ian, very much appreciated mate.

It seems that perhaps their pricing may have changed slightly, or maybe I'm missing something??

From what I'm entering into the site, it comes up with this:

Manifold

Manifold HPC coating

Downpipe

Tial Wastegate (unsure if this is just for one, which I'm assuming it is as the price doesn't change between twin and single 'gate options)

= $3474 + $238 shipping US

But it's the extra 1k from the Aus government that is the killer...

Might have to confirm with Full Race on pricing if I decide to go that way.

Here is the head the head you sold me baron

today was fairly productive, made up some oil restrictors, put the head on etc

sweet ;) It's the most fun I've had giving you head..... :woot:

I wish I could get complete heads as cheap as I sold that one now! Your head was lovingly removed and checked at prime garage so it should be good, in fact Tono at prime was going to buy it when he pulled it down, but I wanted it so we gave him the block/crank/rods/pistons out of that engine as a christmas present instead and kept the head!

it will be a pretty sweet donk when it's done. and I would hazard a guess all up not too pricey either since I know what the head cost ya! hehe.

Here's another update of my 3.1lt big little engine prototype. Ive completed the final assembly of the bottom end over the weekend.

The block is a partially grout filled RB26 05u block, modified RB30 crank(drilled+screwed, balanced, modifed rod journels and slotted for oil squirters), pauter billet rods with 19mm bearings, custom wiseco's with 22mm gudgens and non-interference valve pockets, acl bearings, and dartron sleeves.

Here are a few pics.

Cheers,

Ian

post-26553-1252293761_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1252293779_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1252293789_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1252293831_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1252293880_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1252293899_thumb.jpg