SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

Heres my ongoing RB31/26DETT build, planning to give it a toss about at some more or less local tracks :blink:

RB31DETT! Thats my project !

Here's the latest of my RB31. The engine is on a test rig and is ready to fire up. With the exception that I need to put dump pipes and an exhaust on it, and dynabolt the rig to the floor. Hopefully not longer than 2 weeks till I get that sorted out.

post-26553-1269333516_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269333677_thumb.jpg

cool rig mate. :cool: looks good. are you going to run some kind of flywheel brake? and I guess you will be plumbing up the intake side with an intercooler as well?

should be fun running it on the rig. :)

Thanks Richard. I'd love to have a water brake to hang off the back of the rig, but its just not practical for what im doing at this stage. The main purpose of the rig is to run the engine till hot a few times and confirm that I dont get cross fluid contamination between the oil and water, or any leaks... ie that my spacer plate and gasket systems work properly. Once that is proven I can bolt it in the car and start having some fun tuning it. Im not woried about the sleeve or head gasket setup at all. Im very confident that will about 900hp reliably before the top end is anywhere near letting go.

The ecu is an old V400 wolf running map sensing, 3 bank injection and waste spark ignition. Ive setup the rig so it can start R32/3 or R34 engines. I'll just be putting a filter over the intake to the plenum and thats it. The engine is currently all taped/sealed up still.

The project has taken way too long to get to this stage. I had some hold ups when I bought a house recently and then accidently caught the renovating bug. Im back in the shed playing with engines again now though. I have a closed deck 2.8 and another open deck 3.2 in the works as well.... too many projects.

The car's still going great too. Scored some 18x10 TE37's and semi slicks for it recently too. I'll be competing in a few sprint series's this year and intend on being competetive against the evo's. Will post some update pics of that soon.

Cheers!

Ian,

Are these engines you are designing and putting together using standard modified (re-ground) cranks?

The one above uses a modified RB30 crank, with the rod journels offset ground and widened to SR20DET dimensions, and slotted to clear the oil squirters, plus it has the usual standard mods. Jun pump drive, drilled and grub screwed oil galleries, precision balance, etc. This engine is 87x87=3104cc, and the same rod/stroke ratio as an SR20. Its possible to go a little larger on the stroke, but you start getting rod to sleeve interference issues past about 88mm.

Here's a couple more pics of the other project again. Yes its a VW so I hope you all dont get sick! :blink: I finally got the engine started last weekend too. Its been nearly 3 years ive had the car off the road, and virtually every part of the car is custom now Most people can't spot the standard parts. There is about 8 of them! Entirely custom chassis, porsche 968 brakes and suspsension, 930 tranny, 4 stage dry sump system, and a custom VW "oxy boxer" based 2.5lt twin turbo'd (8cm T517z's). My dream now blows flames!

post-26553-1269419903_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269419998_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269420058_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269420087_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269420115_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269420149_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1269420165_thumb.jpg

hell yeah... that's a work of art, love it

there's a show on cable at the moment called Beetle Crisis... all about modified and restored Beetles etc... but yours is by far the coolest I've seen!

I've got those turbos on my GTR, can't imagine how mental they would be on a lightweight, RWD beetle racer!

Looks like a well sorted R33 . Go give it a trash and post up some vids :(

here you go roy

its very laggy... but seeing as im running my old tune which was a completely different turbo it isn't too bad. spent the most of the night fine tuning the suspension and was pretty happy with it by the end of the night, only problem was my brake pads was completely gone so i was taken it easy and not braking too hard.

Edited by Kaido_RR

The one above uses a modified RB30 crank, with the rod journels offset ground and widened to SR20DET dimensions, and slotted to clear the oil squirters, plus it has the usual standard mods. Jun pump drive, drilled and grub screwed oil galleries, precision balance, etc. This engine is 87x87=3104cc, and the same rod/stroke ratio as an SR20. Its possible to go a little larger on the stroke, but you start getting rod to sleeve interference issues past about 88mm.

Here's a couple more pics of the other project again. Yes its a VW so I hope you all dont get sick! :banana: I finally got the engine started last weekend too. Its been nearly 3 years ive had the car off the road, and virtually every part of the car is custom now Most people can't spot the standard parts. There is about 8 of them! Entirely custom chassis, porsche 968 brakes and suspsension, 930 tranny, 4 stage dry sump system, and a custom VW "oxy boxer" based 2.5lt twin turbo'd (8cm T517z's). My dream now blows flames!

Thought you may like this: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/01/13...vw-1303-rs.aspx

• 2 weeks later...