SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

Yeah I was just chatting to someone about that before, definitely glad it's all in house otherwise I would have gone mad by now.

That is a good solution... but at 90k this would probably be my choice: http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13240

Or strip this bucket of bolts and get myself this: http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13280 :P

I see the price tag on those cars and they seem like awesome value, but (as you know) purchase price is only the very surface of what it costs to run a porka...

even in the lower pcv classes the competition is so intense it has people spendiing up (big) on new rubber/ new suspension/ new evrything just to try and pip the guy in front, that's without the routine maintenance...

scary prospect.

993's are awesome by the way.

Super awesome :P

But yeah, the maintenance costs scare me. If they were more reasonable I might have traded up already, but I've seen what the workshops charge and I'm not a fan of the Porka tax that's for sure. At least I know most things on my car can be replaced inexpensively (relatively that is). I know a 915 porka gearbox may be 7k by itself, and that's just a crap, old, stock gearbox really.

Gearbox? Fark Dane.... :)

It will be an RB20, just with stronger internals and more compression and perhaps cams. Can make the power i want from teh 20, bigger displacement just gives me tyre frying torque which is no good to me. Hope it never goes in as i much prefer the comfort of running a std motor at the track :P

I would love to build a higher comp 20... I think that would make it alot nicer to drive. But for motor + turbo kit, a stock LS1 could be in, make the same power, and be more reliable... torque would prob cause traction issues though, and a twinscroll GT307x on high comp RB20 would be fun. Prob be the same as a NEO RB25 with a GCG highflow haha

My plans to conquer the track world with an RB20! I have been in this situation before, with all the parts etc only to sell them all off when i get the quotes from engine builers :) This time round i may stick it out...maybe :P The thing is all the RB20 stuff can be used on R32 RB25DEs so its easy to sell all the gear to RB25/30 homos :)

.. the Berry R32 is such a cool thing with its near stock body...only it seems the car has gotten more expesnive since changing hands :)

And yes, my real name is Cornholio...i came for your TP :)

when you look at how expensive it is to run a Porka makes me glad to be a GTR owner!

I think theyd be about the same to own and drive or campain as a race car.

The last early 915 box I priced was $2800 for the standard 5 speed. The later model ones with the oil coolers that handle up to 450hp are around $3500. I paid $3300 for my current 930 4 speed, and they are virtually indestructable, easily handling over 500hp in track situations. They use them in US kit cars with big block chev's bolted onto them. $7k would get a built 915 box with all the fruit, custom gear set and all the strengthening modifications. Still you'd be mad to use a 915 box because the g50's are so much stronger again even in standard form.

we can build it roy.... only costs are machining. Whats to building anyway, its all clearancing, the combo is up to you but they all go together the same way.

My plans to conquer the track world with an RB20! I have been in this situation before, with all the parts etc only to sell them all off when i get the quotes from engine builers :( This time round i may stick it out...maybe :wub: The thing is all the RB20 stuff can be used on R32 RB25DEs so its easy to sell all the gear to RB25/30 homos :wub:

.. the Berry R32 is such a cool thing with its near stock body...only it seems the car has gotten more expesnive since changing hands :wub:

And yes, my real name is Cornholio...i came for your TP :wub:

I have learnt to stick with rebuilding Trinity Monster Mashes, those 13 turn bad boys with twin pole armatures carve it up!

I think about pulling the Nissan manual out of the closet, jot down the tolerances/clearances and go from there....but, i just dunno?! Will see how i go

For the Vic folk i see JFKs old car is for sale. Along with Bens R33 was the first truly angry track car i saw circulating around Sandown in the teens

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13643

And based on some of the specs and the colour of the interior i am guessing this is Hislops old EB Improved Production monster!

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=12907

For the Vic folk i see JFKs old car is for sale. Along with Bens R33 was the first truly angry track car i saw circulating around Sandown in the teens

http://www.my105.com.au/classified.asp?id=13643

He was next to us at Phillip island over the weekend. He has a nice Purple GTR that was giving him back a lot of love. It was damn quick.

He also has a new Red GTO totally stock that he was running as well. We had a good talk about his plans for the GTO. He is planning a major diet for it as well as some decent turbos.

Nice guy actually, but very focussed on the task. :banana:

Even had his own PIT crew this time.

I think theyd be about the same to own and drive or campain as a race car.

The last early 915 box I priced was $2800 for the standard 5 speed. The later model ones with the oil coolers that handle up to 450hp are around $3500. I paid $3300 for my current 930 4 speed, and they are virtually indestructable, easily handling over 500hp in track situations. They use them in US kit cars with big block chev's bolted onto them. $7k would get a built 915 box with all the fruit, custom gear set and all the strengthening modifications. Still you'd be mad to use a 915 box because the g50's are so much stronger again even in standard form.

See, that is reasonable for sure, though it is a gearbox that is very long in the tooth for $3500. How much do you get G50 boxes for?

All Porka parts prices I've seen always attract a fair Porka tax, as GT-R parts attract GT-R tax. Swaybars (unsure of brand or anything) for a mates Boxster are something ridiculous like 2-2.5k, same for a 964. He paid somthing like $1500 changeover for his stock items which is hefty in my opinion!

Troy: JFK's old GTO is pretty damn cool for $12k. I dig it, and it's fast :dry: