SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

Just posted a Vid (Spicers cup) Its Sportscar Steves just learning but winning Races already, V8 Supercars Run with him and he is beating them now.

He hit the wall in race 2 ,Will put that race up soon. We have 4 weeks to get it finished.

That's awesome!

Did you guys make that front end, or is it a off the shelf mould?

How far back has the engine been moved?

Toy: SR20 is best :down:

Ahhhh, a good old R20 vs RB20 discussion... I thought these were reserved for NS.com!

ah NS, so many amusing threads.

nothing against rb20's in general but i'm still stumped as to why people remove a perfectly good sr to chuck in an extra 100kgs over the nose with the same sort of power and all the cooling, installation and wiring issues that go with it....

go the RB20. it sounds like a sweet trumpeter under your bonnet. SR20 sounds like someone ripped an engine from the closest tractor. the sound alone is almost reason enough to love the RB20! having said that I wouldn't be chucking the SR20 out of my silvia in a hurry either. good power and torque, just sound like rubbish and they do like to break.

in fact, troy knows one day my track car will be an R32 GTST with 2.2L SR20. or maybe try a 2.4L RB20. but I reckon a nicely built 2.2 SR20 with a good sized turbo (around 3037) in a GTST would be a nice thing.

Driving each others cars back from PI it was sad to get back in my car. The SR20 is better on the street , no doubt! Bit when driven in anger at the track i would say the RB20 does just fine. Yes, you should buy that GTSt, the exchange rate is going your way

Both are good engines in their own right, and are pretty damn tough too (RB would pip the SR at this, but the SR is plenty tough in stock form IMO), I just wouldn't put that weight over the front of an S chassis. I was going to go RB26 for a while there, but decided against it for that reason. That RB25 180 above makes me think perhaps I should have! Though it looks to have the engine placed further back and lower which I'm sure has a lot to do with it.

I agree.... I personally wouldn't put an RB in an S chassis either. And I also think the SR is a great engine, i hear of all these stories of inherent weaknesses, but I'm yet to see it with my own eyes..... sure I believe it's possible in a super-highly tuned SR, but for most applications, they do just fine.

To my ears, an Rb20 is music, I can't get enough :)

Driving each others cars back from PI it was sad to get back in my car. The SR20 is better on the street , no doubt! Bit when driven in anger at the track i would say the RB20 does just fine. Yes, you should buy that GTSt, the exchange rate is going your way

well driving your car on the street you are right. in any kind of traffic or low speed limit zones you never really get a chance to get it right up onto boost with the gate open so you always feel like you're getting half screwed and let go every time you shift up at 4,500 or so. the only way around that is drive like a loon and revs the nuts off it in 1st and 2nd everywhere but that wont win you any friends. and it feels like it is breathless under about 4,500. but mate, once the road clears and the speed limit goes up you get it up in the fun zone and it's awesome. it's the perfect car to 'cruise' on the street. and then thrash it on the track. and even if it's not quick low down it sounds amazing. on the street a good sounding car is enough to keep me happy, cause a car with lots of torque just gets you in trouble as they are still quick at 'street rpm'.

the grass is always greener. i would trade you my silvia for your 32 any day, but with how serious your 32 is now that would just be an insult to you.... having said that put a TD06 on the silvia and a few other little bits and it would be a closer fight. :)

man I still want to buy that 32. every month or so I remind tets I want it, but he is still not selling. the owner practically never drives it anymore which is sad as it is apparently a very nicely sorted car. it's my dream package. prime garage built 2.2 SR20, from memory it was a 3037 or 2835 with external gate, all the other good gear engine wise, motec ECU, lots of good stuff. then we could really play :blink:

I agree.... I personally wouldn't put an RB in an S chassis either. And I also think the SR is a great engine, i hear of all these stories of inherent weaknesses, but I'm yet to see it with my own eyes..... sure I believe it's possible in a super-highly tuned SR, but for most applications, they do just fine.

To my ears, an Rb20 is music, I can't get enough :)

I think yours is a testament to the might of the RB20, 5 days of abuse, many a track day.. all on a stock wrecker motor...

and the noise? about 20+ vids on youtube attest to the the sweet XXX rated sound of a 20 on song!

To my ears, an Rb20 is music, I can't get enough

Definitely, your car sounds very sweet!

My stock 1991 SR came out of my car having run 240rwkw's for 3 years, with 4 track days, and maybe 3 or 4 DECA days, as well as drifting etc and tested within 2psi across all cylinders and never broke anything :)

Richard: That 32 sounds a treat mate! I've always had a hankering for an SR powered 32 as well...

I really think engine longevity is more to do with the original condition when you start, combined with good tuning, good servicing, temperature management and a little bit of mechanical sympathy.

My stock bottom end rb25 copped a flogging, did about 10 track days and many skidpans with between 260 and 288rwkw, got revved to 7400 and rarely saw less than 1.3bar. As with phunky's sr it was compression tested before removal from the car and was within 3psi across all cylinders.

I plan on further testing my theory by sticking a 3071 on the side of a low km s15 sr20 and stuffing some boost into it with the intention of around 260-270rwkw. We'll see if the engine dies before the box breaks :)

There isnt enough to justify a build thread :thumbsup: Troy hits tyres at Sandown...two years later when i got sick of looking at dent car goes to panel beater. Car sits at panel beaters while i work OS :D Pretty sad really :)

So hopefully will be back in Aus in November at which time i hope to be able to put fuel in and go! But still std RB20 etc etc

I donno, i still rekon you are cooking up something mate :)

New suspension, brakes, wider rims, ti exaust, your turbo is for sale etc

Keep the ace up the sleeve tho hehe

You actually read something i posted ? :thumbsup: Shame on you :D

a little pic of the silvia with it's new 3 point tomei brace. the dumb thing is I actually did have a strut brace. :D lol I forgot it was there. it was one that tucks up near the back of the engine, and it's actually a nice one. a mines alloy one of all things. it's pretty cool and weighs absolutely nothing and would have cost a pretty penny. so if anyone with an S13 needs a strut brace give me a yell!

s131h.jpg

and a pic of the silvia with my RX7. took this as a bit of a farewell pic as the RX7 is going to it's new home shortly. :D

it's funny. I've been driving the RX7 a lot lately and it feels very nimble and quite powerful...until I drove the silvia again. being a 88 model it's light as hell, (around 1200kg) and has 230rwkw and lots of suspension gear. next to the RX7 it feels like a V8 powered go-kart! when I got back in the RX7 afterwards it felt like a luxo barge. and that's saying something as it's actually a pretty raw car to drive.

s132.jpg

s133.jpg

s134.jpg

anyway the main news is the silvia is back baby! and I'm loving it. :D