SAU Community

Pizza Night And Act "club" Discussions 4th August

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aww slippery edit... how did you do that without the blah blah edited this message on time date blah blah message that I get everytime I fix a typo??

edit by stealth eh!!

Wheres that cool tail light pic?? Withholding on us huh!!! Who was it that took that photo?

Wheres that cool tail light pic?? Withholding on us huh!!! Who was it that took that photo?

Sorry guys, I have been trying to post it up but the computers at work won't let me ( Damm you IT security!! ) and I haven't been able to get to another PC with internet exess. I'll post it up as soon as I can.

• 2 months later...

ACT skyline “Club” update

Remember this thread everyone….. Well I’ve kept individuals up-to-date on a one on one basis but have not updated everyone who reads these forums. And it is really surprising the people who do read these forums and own Skylines, particularly GTR’s, but never post.

Speaking of occasional readers…Hey Dot.... You were going to get back to me on where those wheels came from, they looked great on your GTR. And Trent you are not the only GTR in QBE, Dot owns two!!

Getting back to the “club”

At the meeting we agreed to investigate the joining up with SAU NSW. I’ve had some discussion with Abo Bob/Adam of NSW SAU president fame. Unfortunately after some initial success the bottom line I have been informed is the following:

SAU NSW is incorporated as a club in NSW, as such their activities need to be predominantly NSW based.

To change this NSW would need to unincorporated and reincorporate under a federal registration which includes a lot more paperwork for every exec member.

I did bring up the point that most cruises we did would be into NSW and that the other major events Wheels/Marques were only twice a year. And yes I did bring up the point that Sutton road driver training circuit was in the ACT. All to no success at this point in time.

As we all decided on the 4th, that we did not want to incur the admin of running a formal club just for the ACT, I am sure we all do not want to substantially increase NSW workload for the ACT members, despite half of us being members of SAU NSW already.

Where does this leave us…? Well unless someone can change SAU NSW view of the situation, we can not have the most logical club structure.

Options, not all of these may be possible

1. Hope SAU NSW changes their mind

2. Enquire about become attached to another club, Street rides or possible Nissan Sports car club. Joining both clubs have similar issues, we don’t use the same forum, they have joining fees, NSCC is very race track based etc.

3. Running a formal club in the ACT without it being limited liability or having insurance. I basically refuse to place anyone in this situation, if you are a member of the club and someone sues for what ever reason, members can lose their houses or worse their cars!

4. Keeping things unorganised, probably not doing many events

5. Run as an unofficial group and approach interested parties to assist with insurance/activities when required. I have already contacted a couple of parties about this possibility. However these other parties are generally running a business so need a business reason to do us a favour. With the limited budget of most skyline owners (and general slackness paying money to do anything car related) it remains unclear if this could be successfully done, but I am still investigating this.

6. Form an ACT club with the required President etc and then seek sponsorship for Insurance, CAMS affiliation etc.

I’m very open to alternative suggestions as well

What do I recommend? Well I am not going to try and guide everyone on this issue. Certain people said the ACT was full of people who just wanted everything done for them and never gave anything back, well I think I have proven them wrong, at least in part, and I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thanks to the following people who have given their time for people like you reading this:

Donnan – Organised the cruise when we first started taking about doing some activities. He’s also the man waiting for everyone else at the Museum so we have someone to talk to.

Ladybytes/Mark – Held a great dinner, takes great photo’s and continues to look at organising events. I hope to be able to attend more great events this couple puts on.

Cejay – The man of the moment, organising a skid pan day and Marques in the Park both in November. It would be great to fill the last spot on the skidpan day. Give him your support please.

Frink – Remember that successful Dyno day, well it would not have happened if Frink had not got a heap of his mates to prepay so we got the minium numbers. After that he continued to recruit numbers and was the major contributor to the great turn out we had.

Jayce – The organising force that gave me the idea that the ACT could benefit from a bit more organisation and a lot more events.

What I do request is that people find an event they are interested in and organise to invite the rest of the skyline group to. Go Karts, discount movie etc Or approach one of the organisers of an event to see if there’s anything you can do to assist them. (Sometimes there is not, but it is nice to get the offer of assistance).

Cheers

Jon

Thats fair enough, I take it the main impact to us would be if we organised our own show and shine day, or held a public event etc, we wouldn't have public insurance if it's in the ACT. If the event was held in NSW, ie queanbeyan, and was authorised by the SAU NSW exec etc, we would be covered under the club, I take it we would have to be NSW members though. Events like Marquees in the park and Shannons wheels expo have their own public liability insurance.

Appreciate you investigating this Jon and trying your best.

thanks

chris

So looks like all us lackeys who haventy joined need to join SAU NSW :P

Thats fair enough, I take it the main impact to us would be if we organised our own show and shine day, or held a public event etc, we wouldn't have public insurance if it's in the ACT. If the event was held in NSW, ie queanbeyan, and was authorised by the SAU NSW exec etc, we would be covered under the club,

Not exactly, anything we organised currently would not have insurance. We can not use SAU NSW insurance for an event in NSW, we are not SAU NSW exec so can not dictate where and what events should be run. We can suggest, we can assist as external parties or even members, but we can not officially organise or run any events.

That being said I am somewhat confident that SAU NSW would love ACT to do all the work of running an event they see benefit in and have confidence it could be run well. We have moved on from the original paintball debarcle to run some successful events, so we are proving that we can run small events. If we get this Nissan V Toyoya track day run successfully, that would give us some serious street cred.

Interestinly ACT Supra club and the ACT Gemani club are running without PL insurance.

Ah ok, but I thought with eventys like dyno days etc, if anything went wrong on the dyno. Any public damage (not to the car) would be covered by the shops pl insurance. If I understand what your saying, basically any events that we decided to hold in nsw, ie queanbeyan or on the south coast, would have to be approved by sau nsw to have pl coverage?

I thought the main issue for us with pl insurance would be if we organised a public event. ie show and shine, or something like that.

As long as we keep cruises unofficial, I think cruises wouldn't be an issue would they? Since we are just a bunch of people going for a cruise and not holding an official event? I might still be reading it wrong but that's what I thought.

Now that my car is sorted, would not mind taking part in the toyota vs nissan dyno day.

HI Cejay, I know we talked about this but just to let everyone see whats going on.

"Ah ok, but I thought with eventys like dyno days etc, if anything went wrong on the dyno. Any public damage (not to the car) would be covered by the shops pl insurance." Dyno days, paintball pays etc you are correct, there is very limited risk of needing insurance as the places we go to really organise the day, we only collect the money and turn up. I say rarely as there is never an absolute with the law and turds.

"If I understand what your saying, basically any events that we decided to hold in nsw, ie queanbeyan or on the south coast, would have to be approved by sau nsw to have pl coverage?" Basically we can't decide to run any event, if it is a SAU NSW event they must decide to run it, we can not selectively ask to use their insurance for our events.

I thought the main issue for us with pl insurance would be if we organised a public event. ie show and shine, or something like that. As long as we keep cruises unofficial, I think cruises wouldn't be an issue would they? Since we are just a bunch of people going for a cruise and not holding an official event? Correct for the most part, if you say "I am organising a cruise" then you are accepting responsibility in some small way, if you just say "I am going for a cruise and anyone is welcome to follow", that is less of an issue.