SAU Community

How Much Do You Spend On A Oil Change ?

I am giving my car a oil change and purchased 5 litres of Mobil 1. Then after talking to Mr John at UAS he expressed to me in such passion in his voice to do the job properly and buy some Motul 300v.

I am a fan of Motul oils only because i tried it last oil change (prize from sau dyno day) and it made the car feel much better (4100 turbolight)

So I ring a few places and find out the oil that John reccomended was $100 retail!!! + a filter that takes it to around $115 or so.

Motul oils is now available at any local Repco store which makes it easier to buy...

So does anyone know whats soo good about this oil and how many people here actually spend that much money on a oil change ? Oil is very important and i figured a $60 bottle of fully syn should do the job but apparently not....

I figured what he said was right and seeing that the boost is back up to 26psi i decided it was a good investment (can take the mobil 1 back for a credit on my account)

Has anyone tried elf oils ? i hear its just as good.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have used nothing but motul chrono 300v for about 3 years now. I also use nismo, or greddy filters (also used sard mag, and power enterprise). It's good oil and not expensive at all for what it is. read into this what you will but I have been running the car with that oil hard for a fair while with no engine problems at all. yet I know of plenty of guys running mobil, and castrol that have had engine failures... I'm not saying it's the oils fault, mabye it's just coincidence? maybe buying cheap oil is an indicator of how much people spend on looking after there car? i don't know. what I do know is the chrono 300v works for me.

The last time i changes my oil i used the Redline 10W40. i think that was about $125 from memory. This is the stuff i've always been told is "the sh!t" apparently its used throughout racing with great performance. How would the redline compare to motul???

yeah oil is fun especially here in aus.

semi and fully synthetic in aus can have as litte as 10% synthetic stock in it (approx), only bottles which say 100% synthetic are exctly that.

MOTUL and REDLINE are among the best oils you can buy, ester is the key here

Learnt alot from a Wear Check training sesion last tuesday on oil testing and talking to alot of the industry experts it was interesting to find what oils are actuially good oils and what are all about marketing bullshit. www.wearcheck.com

favourable: MOBIL 1 (gold bottle is 100% synthetic) motul, and redline.

unfavourable; castrol edge and thier mineral gear oils.

Brendan don't be a tightass OIL FILTER change every 3 oil changes?? come on man. no wonder you can't run 12's :D

Oil Filters aren't that expensive get your act together.

i always change my oil filter everytime i change my oil and thats usually 5000kms or less depending if i did circuit work or not.

I have just switched to ELF... 10w50w full synthentic... no idea on cost though??? I keep getting from my tuner :D The car is absolutely loving it!

Was previously using Motul Turbo Light Semi Syn...

Oil filter + Oil.. every 5,000km which is every 4-6 weeks depending on weekend driving!

now that im getting the filter relocated when i get the cooler fitted i prob will change it even time....its just a bit of a mess changing it where it is....

ray....hairline of 12's....shouldnt have eaten those donuts....

^true dat!

edit: changing the filter evertime. one of the easiest engines to do it on ( providing you dont have a big f**k off plenum)

Edited by jake33

^true dat!

edit: changing the filter evertime. one of the easiest engines to do it on ( providing you dont have a big f**k off plenum)

^^^^ didn't I learn that the hard way! Changed plenums.. all shweet... week later time to change the oil... :D

At least it got my butt into gear to put the relocater kit in the car thats been sitting in the garage for months!

I have just switched to ELF... 10w50w full synthentic... no idea on cost though??? I keep getting from my tuner :D The car is absolutely loving it!

Was previously using Motul Turbo Light Semi Syn...

Oil filter + Oil.. every 5,000km which is every 4-6 weeks depending on weekend driving!

I cant say anything about ELF or i will get killed by the importer :D (scotty) i think it is pretty good stuff regardless im not sure what % is synthetic as it says fully not 100% (yet to test it)

I cant say anything about ELF or i will get killed by the importer :D (scotty) i think it is pretty good stuff regardless im not sure what % is synthetic as it says fully not 100% (yet to test it)

ok now you have me worried! PM puhlease ! !

If your car sees no track or hard driving, would it be ok to run Motul 300 V or Redline for 10,000 KMs between oil changes?

Atm I run Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30, Nissan oil filter and I chang the oil every 7000 kms. I dont go to the track and do not thrash my car.

REdline is my first choice for all my vehicles but it isnt always readily available. On those occasions i use Motul and its a damn good product judging by the only method available to me. (visual).

My skyline service costs are about to almost double with the inclusion of the hi energy sump in the build. With the copious amounts devoured by the 4.8 litre patrol engine every oil change and now a double up on the line I sure would like to find a place that sold it in bulk. :D

Hey guys, I just thought I'd add that your oil itself does not wear out ever, it is re-usable (this is why we recylce it). The reason we change oil is to get rid of harmfull deposites in the oil... If you dont change your filter everytime, its pretty pointless to do an oil change at all.. Not that it wouldnt help a little bit, but the small amount of extra money and work makes the oil change count.

For the record, I use mobil 1 fully synthetic 10w 30, its about $40 USD for a case of 6 quarts (5 liters?), and a K&N filter.. try to change every 5k miles.