SAU Community

Perfect Shift?

hi i m and currently on mi ls. I cant seem it get into 2nd gear without grinding. i have tried everything including double clutching. it works but takes me too long. what is the secret? another way i tryed is to go 3000 revs then nutruel then drop to like 2100 and then engage but the motor lags by thie time i let it drop that low. what is the secret?

thanks

Are more seasoned drivers replicating this fault on your vehicle? Or have you tried to drive another car, and is it doing the same thing?

As people have said, its sounding more like a car problem than you. Double check. :D

since you are in gympie i could take it for a spin and see if it is the gearbox or just you. more than likely the box is a bit shagged tho. if it only does it from 1st to 2nd then it is more than likely the sychros. if it is every gear it could be low clutch fluid, damaged pivot bolt or fork, or just a shagged clutch.

probly about $1200 to fix at a guess. you will damage the syncro more but shouldnt damage anything else if u keep driving it, although it may be possible of chucks of metal break off. just dont use second where you can.

if you do get a new box though, or rebuild/fix this one, practice driving without the clutch before it gets done, can gain some good experience doing this, and its sorta like a way of driving without relying on syncros, but dont htink to deep into that without knowing how your gearbox works or it will just confuse you :thumbsup:

fark the clutch, just rev it right up each gear and quick shift :laugh:

but yea, sounds more to me like the clutch is not engaging fully. and you could actually try clutchless shifting to see if the clutch is the problem.

PS: you will probably get allot more crunching learning how to shift without a clutch though lol, i did. key is to just give the revs a nice blip and then slip it in.

EDIT: mybad didn't read the last reply :laugh:

Edited by deant1

also you should know that under the new qld laws you can't legally drive this car untill you have your opens, so don't be supprised if you get booked.

yer it says if it is owned by a direct family member you can apply for a exeption. so i will get mi mum to make her own the car then ill be right by the book.

since you are in gympie i could take it for a spin and see if it is the gearbox or just you. more than likely the box is a bit shagged tho. if it only does it from 1st to 2nd then it is more than likely the sychros. if it is every gear it could be low clutch fluid, damaged pivot bolt or fork, or just a shagged clutch.

Best answer thus far. Take this advice!!!

yer it says if it is owned by a direct family member you can apply for a exeption. so i will get mi mum to make her own the car then ill be right by the book.

it is that if it is the ONLY family vehicle, or if it is an emergency, or if you have to drive it for work (if it is a company car).

so if your family has 2 cars then i doubt they will grant you permission.

plus you will have to display your p's, so pretty much every cop that sees you will pull you over.

besides, you are better of driving a shitter for the first few years, especially if you are going to go to uni.