SAU Community

Low Comp And Blue Smoke Only Sometimes?

femno

Expert opinion needed:

Does this look like it could be a problem after some time?

Before:

post-17897-1185955614_thumb.jpg

After:

post-17897-1185955707_thumb.jpg

Notice a fair bit of the valve guide has been taken away during the porting job....

Cheers!

Nar that shouldnt be the issue, but the porting is abit hrmmm, questionable. I would be inclining to say some sort of sealing issue with valves or minute crack in head, Im assuming this from the looks of the 'porting" works

Well i was thinking that the shortening of the guide might have caused to premature wear on the valve stem, giving sideways play and then the valve not seating properly..?

Yeah i know the 'porting' is good hey >_<

If the bottom of the guide is cut off at an angle it will wear quicker than one that is the right length and square on the end. The valve probably wont wear but the guide will. Saying that, it can still take quite a while for them to wear and if it was worn far ehough to affect the compression it would pour smoke out and make some valvetrain noise. Pull the exhaust manifold off and have a look down the port and you should see if there is oil runing down the guides. Check the turbo while you're at it, had one of my engines diagnosed by a supposedly reputable workshop with valve stem seal problems which have ended up being a turbo seal. A leakdown test is probably worthwhile first.

Cheers for the input guys, i have some decisive info about this whole thing:

I just got back from my engine builder, i took out all plugs etc, cylinder 3 and 4 plugs were a little wet around the bottom of the threads, 4th plug was blacker than all the others, others were fine.

Anyways we chucked the camera down all the plug holes and found that all the bores are completely glazed, i saw for myself they look like chrome, no hone marks whatsoever.

The outer circumference of the 4th piston is clean as a whistle, the rest of it carbon, it seems this ring isnt sealing, and 3rd not as bad but still clean. Im thinking the others wont be far away. We had 4th piston up, cranked it down and we saw oil sitting at the top of the bore, it started running down the bore.

We also checked the valve stems while they were open, there was no oil on any of the stems.

My car has always blown a fair bit of black shit since the tune (never revved it over 4k or flat stick before the tune), but i didnt think anything of it because i thought it was right.

What the f**k has caused this to happen to my engine??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• 100% this, no point delivering a steam oven when the client just wanted a toaster 
    • The best part of my setup is, we only have two sites. Our head office where I'd put every thing has plenty of internet capacity. We're on a 200/200 dedicated fibre. Even better, there's only like 6 people in the office at most, and the other office has 2 people in it (likely 3 soon). The majority of our work is in a custom piece of software, as it is part of the backend of the system we provide to customers. For our arrangement, on prem would be wayyyyy easier, and a VPN tunnel site to site is easy for me to manage. Scaled at many many sites, or quite a few hundred employees it's starts getting a bit different for all people outside the head office. However, everything in the cloud becomes worse for the people who operated previously at the site that held the servers, as now they're at the mercy of their internet, and not GBPS internal network (f**k the idiots who hook a desktop PC up on WiFi or permanently sit at a desk using a laptop and don't go remotely with it).   It really does come down to the business needs and structure as to what is best. For us, 365 is mainly being moved to for office apps, moving email from Google to Exchange, and setting up "Active directory". Otherwise we have a ticketing system with support that runs on our own cloud system, or the sales process sits in a CRM we pay for. My biggest push back for having most of the shit turned off and saying no when people want new shiney things is "that won't meet our security requirements, or efficiency gains, so all you're requesting is money spend to open us up to security issues, or to make our staff less efficient" Which is funny when one of our core values is "To do more, with less"
    • Think of it as a fancy iFrame with the auth passed through to PowerBI as you're already authenticated logged into Teams   I'm the complete opposite, I hate everything on Prem, it's slow as shit, you need VPNs to get anything happening, then when you want on-prem DBs to talk to say PowerBI you need to install/setup data gateways to essentially VPN back into your SQL instance. I suppose from my perspective, on-prem sucks, but from an infrastructure perspective, your environment is somewhat air gapped to the web via your firewall(s), etc.   The curse of knowledge, the more you know the more you suffer. Farken philosophical shit.
    • Would you mind uploading the pics again in your steps?  It’s not showing up. 
    • Wherever you ask them to. I had one added to the crossover pipe near the BOV as well as the hot and cold sides of the intercooler piping to provide greatest flexibility in measuring temperatures post-turbo. I have the IAT installed in one, and bungs in the other two.