SAU Community

Km's On Your Clock

Hi all. Slightly interested in importing a stagea sometime in the future. Just wondering how many K's yours have done and if they start to slowly fail over a certain distance? Would one that has done over 100,000 not worth touching? I would be looking at spending about $15,000 or so.

Any help well appreciated,

KiD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a '97 model. The body on mine has done 135000km, and it's pretty tidy. trim is all ok: i have the typical rust under the wing mirrors, but other than that, it seems to be ok - pretty well put together. My engine has done around 60000km, and is still sweet, and my suspension is around 10000km old, so I have no complaints there.

my 97 has now done 167,000 and the front struts went at 164,00,,touch wood no mechanical probs,mine was for sale for $14,800 with 18''chrome wheels and few other extras,hope it helps

mine is a 97 and has done 124 xxxkm and apart from my side skirt coming off i havent had any dramas since i have had her which is 12months :):( *knocks wood that nothing now happens*

1997 model, auto, 92000kms.

brought into the country 3years ago with 48000kms on it for 32000$$$$

for 15g, get a series 2 with under 90000kms on it, demand log books + service history (mine has 'em).

and not a problem that i havent caused

not a problem that you haven't caused hay..... Wanna be home mechanic? or not... Im a bike mechanic and see it all the time so no offense if its not that!

If you're happy with an auto

Should be able to chuck the bikes in the back too :D

Very happy with buying an auto, can just sit back and chill out. Yes fitting bikes in the back is half the idea of buying a stag... can get my bike to races quicker and in more style.

Another question:

Would importing or buy one all ready here be the way to go for about 15k? And also I'm in SA if I purchase on from interstate what sort of things do I have to go through with registering it? eg. over the pits here in SA or not? Also if I get one imported through a business outside SA (thinking maybe import with J-Spec) and it gets complied in a different state whats the go their?

Cheers in advance.

Edited by kidafa

not a problem that you haven't caused hay..... Wanna be home mechanic? or not... Im a bike mechanic and see it all the time so no offense if its not that!

Very happy with buying an auto, can just sit back and chill out. Yes fitting bikes in the back is half the idea of buying a stag... can get my bike to races quicker and in more style.

Another question:

Would importing or buy one all ready here be the way to go for about 15k? And also I'm in SA if I purchase on from interstate what sort of things do I have to go through with registering it? eg. over the pits here in SA or not? Also if I get one imported through a business outside SA (thinking maybe import with J-Spec) and it gets complied in a different state whats the go their?

Cheers in advance.

may i suggest that if you are in SA (i presume Adeld?) go and see Major "Tangles" ride in flesh. he will be able to give you a very sensible picture of a stagea apart from his "ADDICTION" for extra power!! :D:(

190,000km. I win!

I've only had to replace the alternator in the engine bay, most other things I've upgrading like suspension and exhaust components. it's never missed a beat other than the alternator, but that was an easy fix. everything still works, and I just put a manual in it. it's still going strong. RB engines are built to last as long as you don't flog them too hard.

may i suggest that if you are in SA (i presume Adeld?) go and see Major "Tangles" ride in flesh. he will be able to give you a very sensible picture of a stagea apart from his "ADDICTION" for extra power!! :D:(

Or you can come for a drive in my s2 if you live out north :D

Just a warning though, everyone who has come out to see Tangles' stagea or my stagea has ended up buying one :)

Mine now has 60,000km's on it. When I bought it in March last year it had 28,000kms. Not sure if those km's are genuine but everything about the car looked like a car that had been sitting (possibly in a caryard) for most of its life. Very good interior condition and overall true to its auction grade 4 :)

You'll get it cheaper if you import it (ie. through jspec or similar) but some people prefer to see/drive the car before they buy it...

Edited by pixel8r

Would be more than keen to come look at Tangles and pixel8r's stages......

Now anyone have an answer about buying one interstate then registering it here in sa and what I would have to do so? Also same deal but If i imported it and complied in interstate... see above ^^ cheers

190,000km. I win!

I've only had to replace the alternator in the engine bay, most other things I've upgrading like suspension and exhaust components. it's never missed a beat other than the alternator, but that was an easy fix. everything still works, and I just put a manual in it. it's still going strong. RB engines are built to last as long as you don't flog them too hard.

I forgot: I have had to have the alternator rebuilt as well...

Would be more than keen to come look at Tangles and pixel8r's stages......

Now anyone have an answer about buying one interstate then registering it here in sa and what I would have to do so? Also same deal but If i imported it and complied in interstate... see above ^^ cheers

I bought mine from a dealer on the gold coast and it was registered in QLD before I picked it up. All I had to do is drive it back here and change the rego over at regency. The rego changeover isn't the full regency inspection, its actually just a quick check of the compliance plate and a bit of paperwork to change the rego into your name. I was there for about 20 minutes.

Only thing to be aware of is that some people have been questioned about the "tint" on the rear windows. They have whats called "privacy glass" or "uv cut glass" (same thing). A lot of modern luxury cars have privacy glass. All it means is that its actually dark glass, rather than tint. It cant be removed. And because its not tint, its not illegal. These cars have passed SEVS and you should get paperwork from the compliancer showing that it passes compliance.

When I went in, they tested the rear window with a light meter but then never mentioned anything about it.

The things they're likely to look at is ride height, rim sizes, intake mods (I believe a shielded pod filter OR a fmic is ok, not sure if you can have both) and just obvious stuff like that. If your car looks reasonably standard and your compliance plate checks out you'll have no trouble at all. :D

Sounds like it will be an import to me.... unless their is a stag priced well here in sa or somewhere on the mainland... not TAS

you joking? I've had a look at prices in the 2 caryards I know that currently have stagea's they're quite over the top expensive IMO. You need to ask yourself if a 3 month/5000km warranty that covers virtually nothing is worth paying $5000-10,000 extra for...pretty simple equation of you ask me :)

Importing one is not without its risks either but I've not read of anyone having any major trouble.

I bought mine from a dealer interstate but I would definitely look at importing one through either jspec or prestige if I were to do it again. :)

Other people I know have bought one privately in australia (ie. not from a dealer) and have had good results as well. It depends if you're willing to pay a bit more for the luxury of seeing and driving the car before you buy it.

Edited by pixel8r

Not really fussed about seeing it in the flesh or driving it just some pics on the net would be ok.... but Ill go drive one at a car yard for sure even if I'm not interested just to see how they drive :)... sure it will be a lot different and better to the commodore and Renault megane cabriolet I drive at the moment....

you joking? I've had a look at prices in the 2 caryards I know that currently have stagea's they're quite over the top expensive IMO. You need to ask yourself if a 3 month/5000km warranty that covers virtually nothing is worth paying $5000-10,000 extra for...pretty simple equation of you ask me :)

My thoughts exacly. Buy interstate, make sure it's stockish, get aquainted with it on the drive back to ADL, go for an ID check for transfer of rego, bob's your uncle. Exactly what i did. I even made sure the dealer registered the car in Vic, of which the refund i have just received. There's no way you'll get anything decent for $15k here otherwise, not series 2 anyways. If you're located near Payneham/Marden i can take you for a drive.