SAU Community

Hey Guys New To The Forum Tossing Up Between 2 Cars...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

misc repairs and maintainance? geez are they not reliable? i am just going to keep it stock.. or how they come out from japan. usually cat back exhaust and air filters and maybe bigger FMIC..

do they have problems? please guys the more feedback the better..

Depends on how the car has been looked after. It could of been thrashed for 10years with loads of repairs and bugger all maintenance.

Some repairs will cost you lots some wont.

There are soo many variables to this scenario.

Go drive both, do some research on both then organize your expenses. then get what you want.

Simple!

Depends on how the car has been looked after. It could of been thrashed for 10years with loads of repairs and bugger all maintenance.

Some repairs will cost you lots some wont.

There are soo many variables to this scenario.

Go drive both, do some research on both then organize your expenses. then get what you want.

Simple!

well i am going to get my close friend mechanic to go through the car with a fine tooth comb first before i buy anything. if he gives me the ok then i will buy it..

Mate you have no idea what you are getting yourself into if 20g is all you have and want a R32 GTR. As said before, you better have a deep wallet ready to keep the GTR happy. They are a great reliable car if you can keep them in good working order. Have a bit of a research into what the costs are to maintain a GTR and you shall soon understand. All it takes is for you to go cheap on oil one service, add some extra boost to the car and end up with a hefty rebuild.

Judging from reading your posts i would go the GTiR in your shoes and don't go asking on a SKYLINES forum wether to buy a skyline over a pulsar, its like going to a brothel and asking wether they think condoms are a good idea.

Just a suggestion, if your looking for a really reliable but rather quick everyday car maybe look at a late KF TX3 Laser. Seeing as your not worried about size (GTiR) it might be a very good option. Their also incredibly cheap.

Edited by gmack

i'd go for the GTiR. theyre called a mini godzilla around here for a reason.

everything is cheaper by 1/4. and stock vs. stock the GTiR could put up a very good fight, and with the right driver it could defiantly have a chance.

throw in 5k and you'll have it doing 12's. and thats all you'd need to do to it.

throw the 5k at the gtr and it'll probably spin a bearing in return.

misc repairs and maintainance? geez are they not reliable? i am just going to keep it stock.. or how they come out from japan. usually cat back exhaust and air filters and maybe bigger FMIC..

do they have problems? please guys the more feedback the better..

They CAN be a reliable car, but don't forget that you're buying a car built between 1989 and 1994, so that makes it between 13 and 18 years old. If the previous owner(s) have been fastidious in their maintenance and not given it too much abuse, then you should count your lucky stars if nothing goes seriously wrong while you own it.

Face it, a GT-R was made to be driven hard, right? What's not to say that the previous owner(s) have not given it at least the occasional squirt here and there?

i have read all the extra posts this morning and they are all very true. look my mechanic told me i would be happier with the GTiR but i duno the GTR looks good too. i dont have the time to pull engines out for rebuilds etc. i need to get to work so i cant have a car that after 2 months its off the road cause of problems.. might look into the GTiR for now and maybe later on in life look at a R34 GTR V-Spec ay? ;)

and one of you guys said look at a KF TX3.. they are nice but find an immaculate one?? lol they are rare as rocking horse s***... i'm fussy with my cars, everycar i have bought so far have been immaculate, so i dont want to change the trend. also i dont think the KF would go as good as a GTiR... but dont get me wrong i like the KF shape also.

I'd go the GTR, but not too sure if I'd be spending only $20 on one, because that'd be a cheaper one, probably a bit rough, imported as a Grade 3-3.5 from Japan then fixed up slightly.

How much do GTiRs go for compared to GTRs over there?

Over here in NZ, the GTiRs go from about 4-8k and the GTRS 22k and above

The GTiRs are quite nice and fast, you can rollcage them and rally them, Nissan used to use in them in the group N wasn't it?

Whereas the Skyline is a street/race car, both will do similar 0-100 times, round 4.9 for the GTiR and 4.8 for the Skyline, although I'm pretty sure when Nissan did those times they had a professional racing driving doing them on a very sticky track...

You can't really use many parts from the FWD pulsars, apart from the body items, like replacing the ugly bulged vented hood with a stock hood, getting rid of hte top mount cooler and mounting a front mount one.

But parts will be cheaper, not too much cheaper, but since it's a 4 cylinder, you won't have to spend much on the engine ;) also being an sr20 you can get reliable power off the bottom end.

What I'd do, is save up another 5-10k and buy a nicer condition and slightly more expensive, well looked after GTR

Or even an R34 GTT?

Have you ever thought about getting one of those? they are around the same price as the GTR I think? and a much newer model?

or even an R33 GTS25t, sure you won't do the same 0-100 times without some mods, but you'll be in a safer ride and a lot newer model of car

i am just going to keep it stock..

:glare: .. stock - yeah right. The famous last words of a prospective GTR owner..

Honestly though, you would probably be better off starting with something like a R33 GTS-T.. There is a million of them around, so they are very cheap to buy, plus parts are in abundance (a major plus when you stack it!). It's much much easier to find a clean example of a R33GTST or R34GTT.. Most R32GTR's have been belted their whole lives. You wouldnt be able to afford an immaculate GTR with your budget anyway, let alone a run down one with the repairs you can expect in the first few years.

As someone else mentioned, they are quite old cars now. Most are getting to the age/km's now that engine rebuilds are necessary. In case you dont know, an engine rebuild can cost many many thousands of dollars (depending on the parts you use).

Personally having watched both of these cars owned by friends i would have to say they are both just as prone to problems as each other,.. Pulsars feel very cheap even if its a GTIR if you ask me.. Take the GTR you wont be dissapointed!!

I say it all comes down to how much you're willing to continuously throw into it... if you don't look after that gtr.. it's going to f**ke up on you.. same with the gtir...... it's just the gtir will be more forgiving and cheaper to maintain!

throw in 5k and you'll have it doing 12's. and thats all you'd need to do to it.

throw the 5k at the gtr and it'll probably spin a bearing in return.

\LOL! Its funny because it's true!!!

Go the GTR and damn the expense!

RWD bias > FWD bias

If you do your research... know what you're getting into and budget for it, both are good cars. Just make sure you get a good check on one.

If you get a lemon, a GTR or GTiR will cost you an arm and a leg to fix. I know someone who rebuilt his GTiR engine. It cost him bucket loads of money and took him months to find the correct parts. Some where hard to come by. A GTR needing a rebuild will be very similar. Parts may be a bit easier, but still cost a lot.

As a few have said, maybe go for something like a gtst. They're a but cheaper and more common. You said you are putting it on your dad's insurance. How old are you? Is this your first car? If it is, both the GTR and GTiR can be a handful for an inexperienced drive.

Good luck with the buy, but just know what you're getting into.

ok guys, read all your posts tonight and it's not my first car, at the moment i own a charade and she is a nice little n/a 1.6L worked off its tit, built it up from scratch, and pulls a high 14 down the creek. so i know that a stock, R33 GTS-T or a R34 GT-T stock will probably pull the same time.. wouldnt it?

i wanted to get something quicker than the charade, like thats stock, that i dont have to go and pour heaps of money on, like i did with the charade, to get the darn thing going. i like the R33 and R34 dont get me wrong, but i know they are RWD, the way i drive i will be spinning the wheels all ovet the place and never be stuck to the road, at least with the GTR or the GTiR its a 4WD and i will get some traction. i like it when a car just grips and goes, and you can take off at 2-3000rpm without a problem. i duno guys. look i am going to research a bit more but any feedback is still been taking in, you guys have been heaps helpful...

Edited by paz04u

I believe the GTR32 is the most economically priced sports cars(second hand) on the market.

All of the parts add up to twice its value.

But having said that......your mechanic..nor yourself can really know if you have a good one or not.

There are only a few out there that can really check one and let you know if it is good or not.

Never the less......you will need to change a few parts when you get it...make sure you allow

at least $5000 to get it reliable.

I would change..oil pump/water pump...turbo's...fuel pump....timing belt...dump all oils

and get it tuned.

Does this make your job easier to pick from the two cars..... :)