SAU Community

Ok New Engine Time

what a waste.

I'll give you $50 for your so called "dead" RB20 motor.

EDIT - I'll also keep an eye out in the for sale section for your car once you're finished the conversion and can't afford to keep it any more.

a second hand RB20 motor in working condition would have cost you about $500 max.

it would have all bolted in to place so the labour rates to a mechanic would have been maybe another $500

$1000 and you are back on the road in under 2 days.

How much did you pay for the RB25?

does it have any warranty (eg 1-3 months from date of install)?

have you got a quote from a mechanic/workshop that is going to do the install?

Did you get an RB25 gearbox?

lol say what you want but im in no rush to do this. i have a second car in the mean time so as far as im concerned if i run out of money, she sits and waits.

ive been told its going to be expensive and to be honest do i care? if you love cars its ganna hurt the bank. Oh and you can go spend your $50 on a lap dance, id rather take it apart to learnt the engine better then sell it for a pittance :(

what a waste.

I'll give you $50 for your so called "dead" RB20 motor.

EDIT - I'll also keep an eye out in the for sale section for your car once you're finished the conversion and can't afford to keep it any more.

a second hand RB20 motor in working condition would have cost you about $500 max.

it would have all bolted in to place so the labour rates to a mechanic would have been maybe another $500

$1000 and you are back on the road in under 2 days.

How much did you pay for the RB25?

does it have any warranty (eg 1-3 months from date of install)?

have you got a quote from a mechanic/workshop that is going to do the install?

Did you get an RB25 gearbox?

LOL, your an idiot.

Why would he want to buy a stock rb20 and put it back in.... Isnt the point in modifying getting more power :S

Doesnt the Rb25 come stock with 20kw over the RB20??. Is the torque not higher becuase its an extra .5ltr in capacity? Is the engine not 5 years newer??? I honestly dont get what your trying to get at??? If money was such a problem then he would have gone the cheap way... ffs some people these days.

well it's now obvious you have money to throw around then by all means, go for gold.

but why not stretch a little bit further and get an RB26?

rb25 is going to set you back about $3K another thousand or maybe less and you could get an RB26.

surely more capacity, better head, more potential power is worth the extra bit of money.....

the point about "what a waste" was that you heard a ticking noise, a mechanic told you the engine is dead and you are now getting a new engine.

what was the ticking?

what has broken/blown if anything?

does this mechanic have any RB experience?

you sure it's not an injector?

a lifter?

^^^ dont quote me on it but amtes and i said it was the con rod then we had a racv guy look at it and first thing he saqid was con rod. and lol i said i had some money to though at this, lol i could get another import for the price of a RB26. I wish i could even if the police would dominatrics me. they are already ganna have enough fun when they find the rb25 :S

Its your car so you need to be happy with what you do with the car. But i often cringe with R32s because i know of so many ppl that get taken for rides with repair bills. (LOL me included :P )

If you did a conrod im betting there would have been a whole lot more then a tickign sound from the engine. Try stick your head under the bonnet and gettign sprayed with oil and fragments of block :)

But, provided you are getting the right advice the outcome will hopefully be what you are after

They are a stronger motor then the RB20, in the sense they can take a lot more power than an RB20, and on standard internals.

You can say a lot of things about the RB20...but you cant tell me they are weaker then the RB25. The big plus for the RB20 is their strength. i would back my car at 1.5 and 8,500rpm at a track day lasting much longer then a std RB25. Bass Junky drives his car like it was stolen and proves that the RB25 if tuned right is a strong motor as well. But the RB20 is not a bad motor. Put all the BS you read about the RB25 beign so much better and explain this to me :(

gallery_462_50_14883.jpg

Abo Bobs RB25 in teh plot above has Tomei cams and a built bottom end. Whilst Bass Junky has Tomei cams on a std Neo RB25, both have GCG Hi Flows (ie Ball bearing 450hp turbos) The RB20 has cam gears and a plain bearing 420hp Greddy turbo. Now look at the graphs, and the times that those that bother with an RB20 are doing at the drag strip and track and tell me that for 5k you can get the same bang out of a 5k RB25 conversion. Hell for 10k?

Yes it sux to be me up until 110km/h..but when you are having a go, when are you ever below that rpm point? For the time being im not about to go and spend a small fortune to beef up the bottom end power under 3,700rpm etc as it wont make the car any quicker at full noise. Just a bit nicer on the street at part throttle in and out of traffic.

So you no doubt will be happy with the RB25, but coudl have been happy with your RB20?!?!?!

If your going to do a transplant then im thinking your RB25 was a wise choice. If it does require a rebuild later down the track I am under the impression it would be cheaper than rebuilding an RB26.

just in addition to ROY's post, see my signature..

LatinR33 - explain how an RB25 bottom end is cheaper to build than an RB26 bottom end.

the last time I look at either, they had the same number of pistons, bearings, rods, rod bolts etc.

:) are you serious gtst? dude if you serious believe its the same price then....god help us all

Labour may be a bit more for an RB26 in a GTR, but if both in rwd platforms its much of a muchness. RB26 you may be able to get away with std rods, RB25 you woudl want to upgrade to at least RB26 rods. Otherwise pistons are pistons, bearings are bearings. I dont see why the dollars should be aby different to rebuild an RB25 vs 26s... Though the blocks and heads are cheaper for the RB25 and i am assuming you are able to re-use along with the cranks

:) are you serious gtst? dude if you serious believe its the same price then....god help us all

we are talking about rebuilding an RB25 or RB26 bottom end right?

As per LATINR33's post..

he doesn't have either engine at the moment.

and either engine is going to go in to a RWD skyline.

so if both engines have a blown piston, and both need to have the bottom end rebuilt, why do you think it would cost more to build the RB26 bottom end?

do you want me to go find some prices of pistons and bearings and rods for both engines for you?

if anything, as Roy said, the stock RB26 rods are good for about 400rwkw so there's a saving of around $1K

both engines will need good rod bolts.

god doesn't need to help us all.

just you it seems.

perhaps he can help you read a thread properly before making your own post.

besides, you still didn't explain why you think it costs more to rebuild an RB26 bottom end.