SAU Community

Misfire/plugs/coilpacks

Noel

Ya could be right here, I have this feelin' that it isn't all coil related.

Time for more research methinx.

I took her over to Eastern Creek and around the city on Sunday last, and by the time I got to Bankstown from E Creek, it was missing like hell. I opened her up at one point(to give a WRX a spnking), only to be hit with a massive session of mis-firing.

I got home, and as I parked her up, I heard the Fuel pump not making the normal buzzin noize, it appeared to be rising and falling(as such).

And to hell with the expensive sparkies. In less than 1000Km I have had them changed twice..!!!

Kinda saves a bit of tuning finance..! :D

copper spark plugs cost $4 each.

get 6.

gap to 0.8mm

since you have set the boost to almost stock, and you still have stock exhaust which will restrict boost anyway, you don't need a colder heat range.

6 x 5 heat range spark plugs will cost you $24... lets say $30 at the most.

and you can gap them without breaking the unobtainium tip.

see if you can get the correct spark plugs in the "V GROVE TIP".. can't remember the part number.

once you've changed them over, and putting everything back together, leave the spark plug cover off..

the thing that says 2500 twin cam turbo.

go for a drive at night..

do whatever it is that you normally do to cause the missfire under load and at idle..

if you manage to get it to miss at idle, pull over and pop the bonnet.

see if you can see any sparks near the coils.

at night, with the cover off, if there is a miss due to the coils, you will see blue light show as it arcs on to the engine block.

if this is happening, I'd get a refund on the splitfires or at least a replcement set.

Sooo true, I need to remove my lead boots for a while..!! (they're taking all my fun things awaaaaay..!!)

I was at the Dyno having it re-mapped etc, and they noted the same mis-fire as I did prior to me carrying out the work done.

It was ordained that it wasn't mis-firing at 14 PSI, so the limit was set to that, but, it would seem that is is getting worse... on a large scale!!. One thing I do know is that it is getting progressively worse for sure, it is just happening all soooo fast, it's got me concerned, and Mr Dyno too.

I suppose if it is the insulation around the coil/s breaking down or arc burning, then it will show the symptoms I have, but I am concerned about the F pump noise, as it dont sound quite right to me, but then again, there may be someone who has seen this one before also.

Does anyone know how you can test coils, apart from the obvious?, it's just its all happening too fast, and all of a sudden if you know what I mean. (says the man who just spent $11k on it as of last month).

Only trouble is, I have to switch out the turbos as far as I can, until I get chance to get it sorted out, only there is, according to what I am told, waste-gate pressure still being developed, and I hope this isn't gonna cause me prob's in the journey to Mr Dyno.

Yeah, I know, I gotta do the Sunday driver act, .... and get hogged by the trucks... its just the road I have to go down is a mad place at any time.

But, yeap, ur smack-on, keep the load off her for now. Even tho the temptation is to apply a little "Happy-Pedal" just to confirm it is still not running right. So....., I have her chained up in the garage for now!!.