SAU Community

Appropriate Turbo For Rb20 (external Gate)

evsr31

Hi All,

Not meaning to start a seemingly useless thread but I got a genuine question.

I'm looking at reasonably modding my rb20det silvertop (in my coupe hr31gtsx)

I'll be chucking in a Bosch 040 fuel pump

Higher flowing injectors

z32AFM

front mount custom plumbing

already has 3" dump / exhaust

high mount exhaust manifold with flange for external gate

and having my inlet plenum modified to be forward facing

going for a 5 puck exedy ceramic too, to handle some grunt.

This is where I'm running into problems - I cant really decide on a reasonably responsive externally gated turbo for an rb20det.

Does a GARRETT GT30/71R come externally gated at all?

I was also looking at the possibility of a TD0620

Before anyone makes comments about why don't I go internally gated, well no i don't want to i love the sound of a screamer on an rb20det.

Not sure if KKR offer the 430 externally gated?

What I'm really looking for here is previous experience of other SAU members with rb20dets and bigger turbo's.

Cheers guys,

Ev.

May I ask why it HAS to be an external gate? Generally, the external gate turbos are fairly large ones.

You've said that you want a reasonable responsive one - tha'ts a bit of an issue, especially with the rb20 isn't it.

The best information you can give, is how much power you want to achieve, then we can tell you which turbo will make that power, and how laggy it will be on the 20

A GCG rb25 highflow can make 250-260 rwkw on a 25

a GCG vg highflow can make up to 270-280 (i've done 310 rwkw with it).

I can't see how you could possibly want more power than that. My personal all round pick would be the 25 GCG highflow

I also dont see the need to go external gate. What are you going to be using the car for?

You can make just as much power with internal gate, and run high boost too, if thats what your concern is.

If your chasing response and something easy to fit and stay low mount, I'd also have to say go with a RB25 high flow.

This will also be cheaper and less attention with cops, but wont sound half as good an an externally gated turbo with a screamer!! :/

Must say though, Roys car sounds mint with the TD06-20G turbo setup! It seems to be pretty responsive too, as he uses it for track use mostly.

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu

yeah I've decided that I'm pretty much going to go a TD06SH-20G 8cm, its not that I'm chasing massive figures, but purely that I want external gate.

All i was asking was that if anyone knew if a GT30 71R came in external gate form as I've heard they are reasonably responsive on an rb20det with mild modifications.

Internal gate has bored the hell out of me and its a pretty quiet car as it is, is it just me or does anyone else on here love the sound of an external gate? :/

I mean you can get those split screamer / dumps but it just isn't the same. Yes I am quite aware of the penalties for such things.

I'm not totally Turbo - illiterate, i know that a HKS 25/35 would be responsive and make good power all the same, but yeah was just looking at external gate,

I have also changed turbo's before on rb20's and its not that harder task so im just summing up ideas.

Edited by evsr31

I did low 11's with a auto and GT35R 0.63 exhaust housing. Standard motor except for forgies.... I found it responsive but i have a 5000rpm stally :domokun: If i had my time again i would go porting, cams etc. It was daily driven until recently :rofl:

Edited by RB120WHY

yeah I've decided that I'm pretty much going to go a TD06SH-20G 8cm, its not that I'm chasing massive figures, but purely that I want external gate.

All i was asking was that if anyone knew if a GT30 71R came in external gate form as I've heard they are reasonably responsive on an rb20det with mild modifications.

Internal gate has bored the hell out of me and its a pretty quiet car as it is, is it just me or does anyone else on here love the sound of an external gate? :rofl:

I mean you can get those split screamer / dumps but it just isn't the same. Yes I am quite aware of the penalties for such things.

I'm not totally Turbo - illiterate, i know that a HKS 25/35 would be responsive and make good power all the same, but yeah was just looking at external gate,

I have also changed turbo's before on rb20's and its not that harder task so im just summing up ideas.

3071 internally gated in a T2 flange or externally gated in T3 flange.