SAU Community

Selling/trade Ins Experiences

ecl

Looking to upgrade my car from a GTT to a v35 and also at the same time buy an r34 GT for my brother

Before I do that I need to get rid of my current car which I will be putting it up for sale/trade.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has or know anybody who has sold/traded their cars at an import car yard?

There are plenty of these on Parramatta road but do they all buy/do trade in?? I understand that they’ll usually try to rob you blind but just wanted to hear from someone’s experiences

Looking at the private car market, selling a car is too time consuming (organising to meet, time wasters, risk of getting jacked) and in the end, it seems like many sellers have to drop the price considerably anyways.

Cheers

Eric

Unfort at this time mate, the market for Skylines has dropped a fair wack so private sale will take a while to sell, and theres so many out there that the sale price you ask, 90% you'll never get.

If you need a quick sale to buy the new car, perhaps trade in might be the easiest, quickest way?

I traded my R33 GTS-T in. It was maybe $1000 or $2000 less than the market value (maybe not actually seeing that it was suffering from some electrical and ABS issues) but yes you'll find its way more convenient than the whole private selling thing.

Remember when negotiating trade value to say to the dealer that you will not be including the mods.

You'll be able to sell the mods separately for more money and the dealer probably won't care but its just to cover your ass just in case upon trade-in he's wondering where that FMIC went.

trade in value will be an absolute lowball offer.

e.g. I have a ford falcon AU sII 70 000ks which my parents are trading in atm. I can't be bothered to sell it for them and they're lazy.

Toyota offered 4k max, which is a downright shit offer if you ask me. Quite a bit lower than market value. e.g. look at what you can get for 4k on carsales - an old vl/vn fangadore or el/ef falcon

hi eric

how u and ronz doing...havent seen u guys for a while

im looking to get an s15 atm and i went to japlink imports on parra rd and i showed them all the specs of my car...like yr, model,km's mods even with full thread on tyres and full yr rego etc... and they go it's worth 10k (even with everything done to my car)... as i was expecting it to be alot more

personal opinion...i have never been back there

Nick

Edited by skyline17

hey nick, how ya going?

yeah, i'm trying to at minimum trade my car for a r34 GT for ronz

then ill get myself a v35

not in any rush of course as he cant drive till end of year lol

well it works like this. some places will give you a great trade in value, then reamn you on the price of the car you are buying. other places will give you a nasty trade in price, but may play ball with the car they are selling you. either way you still get screwed and for the dealer their change over remains the same. it's just a different way of spinning it.

sell the car, then buy the car you want. much better option.

well it works like this. some places will give you a great trade in value, then reamn you on the price of the car you are buying. other places will give you a nasty trade in price, but may play ball with the car they are selling you. either way you still get screwed and for the dealer their change over remains the same. it's just a different way of spinning it.

sell the car, then buy the car you want. much better option.

The thing to focus on with the dealer is the changeover price (on road). How it is broken up is completely irrelevent.

Some yards will give you a good trade & pineapple you for the price of the new car.

Some will give you a lousy trade & a cheap new car.

All you should care about is the changeover price.

Best option is to sell your car privately & then front the dealer with cash. The expression "look mate I have the money now & will buy it now if you can do a better deal" will always garner their interest. Particularly if it is nearing the end of a bad month/quarter.

Ofcourse, you could always buy privately, too.

Good topic, I actually work in the car industry in sales atm with Subaru Australia.

Trade in values will always be lower, as they will always need to make something off your car, otherwise why would they buy it? If you private sale your vehicle, you will get alot more than a trade in price. That way you have the most money you can get, then go negotiate on the car your looking at. Used cars tend to have very good margins in them from experience.

Just remember theres 2 factors to the equation.

1) The actual car itself. Now this could have something like $8k in the car, and thus is quite abit of movement to use.

2) The trade in. You may get a good offer on the trade, ie market value is 15k and they give you 14k, however in terms of a real figure on the trade of what they would trade your car for would be like 10k, thus overallowing 4k on your trade, meaning they take a 4k discount on the car, but still profit $4k at the end after the whole thing, plus whatever they sell your car for, ie if they sold your trade for 17k, thats $7k profit all up.