SAU Community

Fuel Pump Question

Hey guys just wondering if i have a stock fuel pump in my gtr or not. I can hear it buzz loudly when i turn the car on (not start) for about 5-10 seconds. It's extremely noticable. Can you really hear the stock pump prepping? Thanks

Mine is quite loud as well. I think it is stock.

you are probably hearing the pump for the gearbox transfer case, that is a loud pump which turns on with ignition and goes for around 5-10 seconds.

The fuel pump will only do a 2-3 second prime on ignition to get pressure in the rail and can hardly hear it.

to make sure this is what you are hearing:

turn the ignition on

let the pumps do their thing until its stops pumping and no more noise

turn the ignition off

(and within 30 seconds i think it is?) then turn ignition back on

= the transfer case pump will not prime, but the fuel pump will.

^^ i hope that makes sense ^^ :P

Im pretty confident the fuel pump is the noisy one even when your talking about a stock item as mine does the same. Why would a transfer case pump be in operation at idle or with the ignition on only? They would only create pressure when you require front torque, thus locking up the clutch packs in the transfer case.

A better way to test which it actually is, is to remove the fuel pump fuse and switch the ignition on, make sure you havnt had the ignition on for quite awhile as mentioned so you would normally get the long prime noise.

Hey guys just wondering if i have a stock fuel pump in my gtr or not. I can hear it buzz loudly when i turn the car on (not start) for about 5-10 seconds. It's extremely noticable. Can you really hear the stock pump prepping? Thanks

I could hear mine; not _super_ loud though. The in-tank 044 I have now is only a shade if at all louder.

To tell if it's _really_ the fuel pump, pull the fuel-pump fuse and see if you still hear the noise

when you turn the key on.

Regards,

Saliya

Edited by saliya

Im pretty confident the fuel pump is the noisy one even when your talking about a stock item as mine does the same. Why would a transfer case pump be in operation at idle or with the ignition on only? They would only create pressure when you require front torque, thus locking up the clutch packs in the transfer case.

A better way to test which it actually is, is to remove the fuel pump fuse and switch the ignition on, make sure you havnt had the ignition on for quite awhile as mentioned so you would normally get the long prime noise.

sorry that's completely wrong. the loudest pump is the AWD pump. it primes when you switch the car on. there is an even easier way to test it. remove the AWD fuse, then turn ign on.

as for pump being standard or not, no one can tell you for sure just by the sound. sometime standard pumps get noisy. sometimes they are still quiet. sometimes aftermarket pumps are quiet, sometimes they are noisy. the only way to tell is pull it out and see what it is. or remove the fuel return and run it for a bit and see how much it puts out.

Fair enough. By the way, i didnt mean you could identify what pump you had by the noise i was just saying mine is stock and its noisy. I aggree with age they are likely to get louder. I also noticed my car does a quick prime if you leave the car idling for extended periods. Its the exact same noise that you hear when you first switch on the ignition but only for a real short time.

Can you explain to me how the transfer case works?

yeah, the second paragraph was not directed at you. just that it's impossible for us to tell what pump just because the guy says it's noisy when priming. if it's noisy when engine is running that may be another story.

as for the AWD pump priming at start up it's part of the systems check that happens when you turn a cars ign from off, to on. it checks sensors, abs circuits, primes fuel pump and primes AWD pump. and the AWD pump is by a long way the loudest. many a GTR owner have mistaken that noise for fuel pump noise.