SAU Community

350rwkw+ Gtt Vs R34 Gtr

R34NRG

350rwkw+ GTT VS GTR  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, but they are hauling almost 2 tonne of body. Still alot of power in my books; nothing to make a name with though.

He could make a name by entering drift competitions with his 350rwkw gtt! thats if he is capable ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the $$$$$ buy a good 34 GTR you won't regret it . A very mildly modified 34 R will do the 1/4 in mid to high 11's on your normal street tyres everyday but you will need a clutch as well . This type of car you will be able to drive on the street every day if you wish and attract any attention from the cops .

The R32/R33/R34 is an old car.

Old car means problems of wear and tear etc.

If you were willing to take the burden of dealing with these problems, why not get the also old GTR? It would cost nearly the same in maintenance.

Agreed a R33 is probably 10yrs older than your MR-S. But if you were to drive the MR-S, like most people drive their Skylines, lets see how long that car lasts, or which one would fail first :P.

I'd like to see you pump 200wkw out of the MR-S, with stock internals, like so many SR20's do, and see how many problems the MR-S will develop :).

Please don't come on a performance forum and bag the most popular/common model (and there is a reason for this) when you own a "hairdressers car".

lmao at the hairdressers car. Its funny because its true. :P

I bought a VS 5ltr 5speed commodore when it was 3years old.

A few mods and it was pushing out a little under 200rwkw. Then went the gearbox, got that fixed a week later went the diff and shortly after that the IRS subframe cracked resulting in 45degree neg camber and the arse end of the car sitting on the ground.

And lets not talk about rattles behind the dash and power steer pump failures That thing drove me insane.

The old R32 GTST has been 10fold more reliable.

i know the advantages are endless when it comes to AWD, but the pricetag of a immac r34 gtr shoots up to 60,000+

i guess most of us will ask whether 60,000 is worth it all

this one was going for 68,000k

41591888fg4.th.jpg

98100703xy9.th.jpg

I love how you think your 34 GTT, which is definitely not the best 34 in Australia as you claim, is worth $45k, but you question whether or not a 34 GTR is worth $60k..... :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:

Agreed a R33 is probably 10yrs older than your MR-S. But if you were to drive the MR-S, like most people drive their Skylines, lets see how long that car lasts, or which one would fail first :P.

I'd like to see you pump 200wkw out of the MR-S, with stock internals, like so many SR20's do, and see how many problems the MR-S will develop :).

Please don't come on a performance forum and bag the most popular/common model (and there is a reason for this) when you own a "hairdressers car".

Wink used to own an R33 GTS-T didnt he?

go the GTR...Thats what I am thinking of doing. But I have already spend on the car the amount I paid for it (even without a rebuild). Something you will never get back, even in a gtt when you sell...if you can sell it!!! There are a bucket load of gtst's, gtt's and even GTR's...moral of the story is...unless you are going to keep it for a long time dont waste your money on mods.

Go the GTR and mod it and keep it for the cars life...thats my plan :P

In case you didn't know, I had a R33 before my MR-S.

195rwkw.

Slow, and things broke.

Wink used to own an R33 GTS-T didnt he?

How many bloody times have we spotted each other in the Hills for you to not know :P

Somebody tell me that we aren't missing the obvious.

What exactly do you plan to do with the car? Dyno queen? All that HP is useless unless you are actually doing something with it but it won't make you faster at a race track without significant effort on the handling and some ability. Ask a certain 320rwkw 33 ex-owner why he was 7 seconds a lap slower that another 33 GTSt with 220rwkw.

Sure a random number is great but

a. can you use it, and

b. can you then live with it?

It will be a fairly laggy unusable pig that you will eventually get the burning desire to cut loose and you will either lose you license or kill someone. Hopefully you discover a race track before then.

In case you didn't know, I had a R33 before my MR-S.

195rwkw.

Slow, and things broke.

I know, i saw the thread.

Can't help it if you bought a previously thrashed lemon. Pays to be patient, do all the right checks and get it at the right price.

7yrs ago, it took me 6 months to find my 33 gtst. I first did the inspection (with a mate), then another mate, who is a mechanic/panel beater/spay painter, drove 1.5hrs to have a look at the car for me, then we took it through it's paces on the test run. The purchase price was $18,500, not bad considering the prices in 2000.

After 7yrs the only thing that has failed has been the std bottom end, in March this year. That's after it's been making 270rwkw, has seen numerous track days, drag days, motorkhana days, and countless spirited cruises and dyno runs/tunes.

**not including wearable items like: Clutch, brakes, etc**

So you think the MR-S (with basic mods) is faster than a 33gtst (with basic mods)? :P

I know, i saw the thread.

Can't help it if you bought a previously thrashed lemon. Pays to be patient, do all the right checks and get it at the right price.

Mechanically it was A1. Never caused an issue at all.

I was the first owner in Australia too.

It was things like electrics that were pissing me off.. Power windows failing, ABS light on dash showing up (couldn't be stuffed diagnosing it in the end), headlights blowing for no reason, rattles everywhere, doors which rattled like crazy upon closing due to side intrusion bar installation at compliance, high fuel usage, extremely poor headlights etc.

These things can't really be sussed out at inspection because they happen mainly due to wear and tear and age.

And no, the MR-S would not beat the R33 in a race but its new, reliable, and lightweight means I can chuck it around corners with abandon. Not to mention it does 7.5L / 100km.

The modification path is definitely there as there is fairly strong tuning support (Top Secret turbo kit anyone?) but frankly I'm going to leave it pretty much stock and enjoy a new car which shouldn't have too many issues in the 2-3 years I will own it.

Anyway, each to their own. We are getting off topic and could argue forever.

Yeah i know where your coming from Wink.

My R33 was an awesome car, no complaints. But yes it was getting old. Shit was starting to rattle and it was annoying trying to find out where it was coming from. My passenger window would go down and then take me 10 minutes of f**king round with the button to make it go back up lol.

But yeah mechanically A1, pushing 250rwkw everyday for the whole time ive owned it (3 years) and engine was still going strong.

But yeah, take it from Winks point of view to. His car is newer of course, will burn less petrol then the good old skyline, but now he will have some money in his pocket for other things.

But yeah, take it from Winks point of view to. His car is newer of course, will burn less petrol then the good old skyline, but now he will have some money in his pocket for other things.

Of course his car will burn less petrol: Do you think it may be because it is not a "performance car", thus is more geared to be a daily commuter, which is labeled as a "Sports car"? There is a huge difference between the two.

You need to compare apples with apples.

With regards to spending money, you only need to spend as much as you WANT to mod. I have spent a shit load on my car, only because i wanted to. Some of my mates have only done basic mods and have had the car like that for the last 4yrs, the only costs are servicing, etc.

Agreed a R33 is probably 10yrs older than your MR-S. But if you were to drive the MR-S, like most people drive their Skylines, lets see how long that car lasts, or which one would fail first :glare:.

I'd like to see you pump 200wkw out of the MR-S, with stock internals, like so many SR20's do, and see how many problems the MR-S will develop :P.

Funny how this thread has just turned from 350kwGTT vs GTR to MRS vs R33GTST LOL

First I would like to say TOYOTA is renowned for its build quality, way better than any Nissans could manage IMO. Same goes for the MRS I don't think it would develop as much problems if you were to start similar modifications compared to the GTST. In fact it should be faster around the circuit than a GTST with similar mods albeit with less grunt. Do a search there are many well modded circuit MRSs in Japan, remember there was one built for "Touge" with stock power but less weight, it was keeping up with an 400PS S15 on the "Touge" both ways.

As for those who reckon a MRS or MX5 is a hairdressers car, you either have never driven one or you don't know how to drive thus can not appreciate the great handling balance these cars can offer.

you simply cannot compare a rwd skyline (or most other rwd performance cars) to a GTR

its just not the same game

[edit]

BTW the MRS/MX5 is a hairdressers car, its ghey and I have driven one, and it sucked balls just like a hairdresser

Edited by Betz