SAU Community

Forget Hi-flow - Diy Mod Your Turbo!

Oosh

Sorry Madaz, Im with Oosh. ;)

If it were making 550nm of torque with it would be making a hell of a lot more power than 154fwkw. The dyno operator has something setup strange.

550nm rear wheel torque at 2500rpm is 154 front wheel kw so its impossible as peak power is made after peak torque.

If you grab one of shauns dyno graphs determine the the rpm at a given speed; take the rear wheel torque figures and punch it in to the formula you will find its spot on.

For example Mine is making ~430nm of torque at ~6000rpm. Which works out to ~268rwkw.

At ~4500rpm mines making ~480nm of torque which is 225rwkw.

When we had the boost controller on with 19psi it was making ~550nm at 3300rpm which was 190rwkw.

[snip][/snip]
You said it, didn't have time to do the math earlier, although I came out with 2674 rpm (near enough to 2500 rpm ;)).

So I'd say he's making more power (he'd want to at 22psi).

Torque measurements are notoriously inaccurate on chassis dyno's regardless, there's VERY few (only a handful in this country) that can reliably measure drive line characteristics, which is necessary to get a good torque figure given all the multiplications, when you look at the math power figures don't suffer nearly as much.

At the risk of starting another chapter of that never ending argument, it's power that matters (and where it's delivered) any way...

Autospeed have a couple of good articles worth reading on this and related issues:

* Power, Please....

* Power vs. Torque Part 1

* Power vs. Torque Part 2

* The Best Performance Determinant

well on the same dyno mine made 172 AWKW and 450 Nm

ah so its only really there as a referance not gospel

on same dyno day saw a stinka WRX make 330 AWKW and either 1200Nm or 1500Nm i forget

Edited by Madaz

well on the same dyno mine made 172 AWKW and 450 Nm

ah so its only really there as a referance not gospel

on same dyno day saw a stinka WRX make 330 AWKW and either 1200Nm or 1500Nm i forget

This dyno run from your sig?

458Nm @ 126km/h

145kW @ 126km/h (based on the graph)

Putting the figures thru the magic formula gives 2900rpm for peak torque.

Now peak power was 172kW @ 156km/h, which'd mean peak power would be at 3500rpm (2900 * 126/156) and I don't reckon there's been a turbo RB yet which developed peak power that low. And working that back in you should of then had 467Nm at that point, 9Nm higher than you "peak", how's that work?

In short, those torque figures are bunk, and Mr West (as nice an old codger as he is) needs to get his dyno looked at. Those WRXs only further highlight the issue.

This part of the reason people have dummy spits when they go see Shaun and their "figures reads low man!", anyone remember that bloke's "330RWKW SR20DET Bluebird"?

Edited by Oosh

i dont know Ash i just read the figures from the chart

running about 15-16 boost my mate made 128fwkw on shauns dyno and it was stopped short due to pinging

True. In fairness to GW they could still be producing accurate power figures with dodgy torque. But they really shouldn't be putting it on their charts.

But we've gone way off topic (my fault :D).

my mates Mx6 is making 154FWKW and 550Nm

aye i aint no Pauly hater i will however pull you up if you say silly thing or start acting the goose

MY bad it was 142 FWKW with 550nM

unfortunately the pic is really small when i went to get the sheet off him he couldnt find it

post-13315-1188909991_thumb.jpg

Back in the day...

Cordia's are quicker than them though :D

Mates little cordia used to spank another blokes mx6 that had the same mods, intercooler, boost and exhaust. :rofl: WTF am i using sad smileys for..

who cares if a mx6's got its arse whooooped. :thumbsup: