SAU Community

Polished Lip Stains

SEX-DR.

Hi SAUers,

Just a quick question - I have wheels which have a polished lip, which when they got wet have left a stubborn water stain.

How do I remove these? I have tried normal detergent/jif and other mild cleaners without any luck, am affraid if i use more severe solutions, that they will deteriate the finish of the wheels.

What cleaning agent/solution sould I use?

(pic below - but the problem is hard to capture)

Cheers

Peter

post-9040-1188552099_thumb.jpg

post-9040-1188552156_thumb.jpg

septone ali-brite i think thats what its called. Its pink. Like $15 for a 1L bottle i think. Get it from supercheap or any paint store even.

Wet tyres... pour some ali-brite into a container and use a small brush... like a dustpan brush and dip it then scrub your wheels... then hose it off. It worked wonders on my old rays i had. They are a 1991 wheel. And they were haggered. I got them shiny as with alibrite

Are you sure its a polished metal finish? could be coated in lacquer in which case metal polishes will do more harm than good, some alloys wheels have a stainless lip stuck over the cast alloy, and some have what they call a diamond cut surface with a lacquer over the top.

What make are they?

Are you sure its a polished metal finish? could be coated in lacquer in which case metal polishes will do more harm than good, some alloys wheels have a stainless lip stuck over the cast alloy, and some have what they call a diamond cut surface with a lacquer over the top.

What make are they?

they are Koya Race Teks (a few months old)

i presume that they are a polished metal lip!!!???

but now you have got me wondering......

what do you reckon?

Cheers

Peter

post-9040-1188772617_thumb.jpg

My track rims had a clear coated polished lip and had similar issues to yours plus the clear coat was coming away.

My solution was a bit more hardcore but it worked.

I set to it with 8oo grit wet and dry then 1500 wet and dry then when i had it where i wanted it i polished the crap out of it with metal polish. It now has a polished metal look rather than a bright chrome type finish and i prefer it.

It only takes about an hour or 2 per wheel.

they are Koya Race Teks (a few months old)

i presume that they are a polished metal lip!!!???

but now you have got me wondering......

what do you reckon?

Cheers

Peter

I couldn't really tell by the pics but after looking at there website they say there "Black & Machined Lip" so I'd say there diamond cut and lacquered, Like Finline said what happened is the lacquer has become chipped, you may not be able to see it but the tiniest chip can cause moisture to get under and attack the alloy, this gives the alloy a milky look, the only way to fix this is have them diamond cut again and re lacquered, expensive :)

This is why more and more wheel manufacturers are opting for the stuck on stainless lip, easier to maintain.

Finline - I did the same with my old SSR rims, give a much better finish but its a pain to keep them clean!! lol

Edited by DriftyR33

I couldn't really tell by the pics but after looking at there website they say there "Black & Machined Lip" so I'd say there diamond cut and lacquered, Like Finline said what happened is the lacquer has become chipped, you may not be able to see it but the tiniest chip can cause moisture to get under and attack the alloy, this gives the alloy a milky look, the only way to fix this is have them diamond cut again and re lacquered, expensive :)

This is why more and more wheel manufacturers are opting for the stuck on stainless lip, easier to maintain.

Finline - I did the same with my old SSR rims, give a much better finish but its a pain to keep them clean!! lol

Touche drifty. Mine are SSR's too. :)