SAU Community

Hi guys..

well i just installed a 2nd hand (30,000kms) Cusco 2way LSD into my 180sx.. i opened the filler plug and checked the insides for oil.. was green and clear. so i plugged her up and installed her. took for a lil drive and its chirping the wheels and very tight.. drove it a bit more and then it made a clunky noise sometimes.. then took on highway at 0-100kph its quiet. then 110 if i accel it makes a slight whine. then settles after 115kph or i back off.. very faint lil whine..

my questions are.

1. what is that clunky noise.. how bad is it.?

2. any idea what that whine could be at 110kph..? and only under accel.

3. what oil do you recommend to service the diff with.. eg. redline shockproof 85w-140?

anything else i should knw about the cusco.?

thanks

mark.

not 100% as i don't have a 2 way, but i think that you'll find that this is normal. A lot of my friends have them and make a whine at certain speeds and i believe the clunking noise is normal to an extent as well.

Mate its normal these diff's are design to lock up the whole time they are a savage diff designed for drifting and drag racing. they are not meant to be used on the street as in the wet when u are wanting to drive round a corner you car may decide to keep going straight or decide to do a full 360. these diffs also require a very good diff oil to keep them in good order.

thanks a bunch guys..

was recommended by a mate to use 80w-140 penrite that or castrol full synthetic 80w-140 any thoughts..??

diff has no oil in it at the moment.. just doing a service on it and just deciding on oil. budget is no issue really.. realistically

my nismo uses an 80w-90. It may be worth checking with a cusco supplier about what oil is best for your diff. It's also worth confirming the type of diff as there is an MZ and RS (i think) from memory, and they are different designs.

Other than that, sounds fairly normal, though the whine isn't a good sign. Do you know if the back lash was set properly when the center was installed?

no idea of the back lash mate. ive put 2.6-7L of Redline 75w-140 shockproof. and it clunks like a mofo. no more whine. recommend me switching to the castrol(recommended by fellas on NS.com) or add some redline anti-clunk additive..?