SAU Community

Heads Up On Big Rims

avalanche

hi im interested in getting some big rims for my car but want to know about if there were any problems with them before i go ahead. 18" 19" 20"? do 20" ride really rough and when u hit a pothole buckle? if i got 18s or 19s with like 40 of 45 mm tyres would they be any good?

any info would be apreciated

PS every man and his has dog has 17s

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi im interested in getting some big rims for my car but want to know about if there were any problems with them before i go ahead. 18" 19" 20"? do 20" ride really rough and when u hit a pothole buckle? if i got 18s or 19s with like 40 of 45 mm tyres would they be any good?

any info would be apreciated

PS every man and his has dog has 17s

You can't have 19's with a 45 profile...your cars speedo will be out.

As far as roadworthy issues go...you can only upgrade 1"width on rim..1" width on tyre...and 1"depth of rim..

You will need to read your tyre plate...to work out this.

IE..if the car has 16 inch rims.6.5"depth with 195/55 tyres and has never been offered from the factory with anything else.

You will only be able to go 17 inch rims with 7.5" depth 215/45 tyres..that is if you ever want a roadworthy.

Having said this,most cars have more than 1 type of rim and tyre combination offered,mostly larger on the up spec models.

So you are able to use this as a starting point and say that it had the upgraded rims before you changed over.

I am only talking on the Victorian Laws and may not apply to other states..

Cheers

PS..don't run anything above 18" on a skyline(GTST) nor 225 tyres otherwise your profile will be 35 giving you a bad ride.

The mm you are talking about is not measured in mm but a percentage of the width of the tyre..ie..225/40 has a height on the tyre of 90mm(40% of the tyres width)

hmmm every man and his dog has 17s...? Thats not being specific enough. What matters is width!

How many men and their dogs have 17x10s??

Id take a set of wide 17s over cheap, shit ausie 19's or 20's any day!! You want ur car to look fat not tall.

Edited by Dean_HR31

my sis has 20" rims on her xr6t, and after that heavy rainfall we had here in syd few months ago, she went through sum potholes, buckled both front rims, went and saw some mag wheel repair people, most could not fix them coz there lathe cant take 20" diameter rims, we found one place that could - but the cost to repair was the same for 2 new rims :)

i'ld go 19" max if i was you

As far as roadworthy issues go...you can only upgrade 1"width on rim

IE..if the car has 16 inch rims.6.5"depth with 195/55 tyres and has never been offered from the factory with anything else.

You will only be able to go 17 inch rims with 7.5" depth 215/45 tyres..that is if you ever want a roadworthy.

Duno what state you are from, but in Victoria that is not the case.

My friend and I were pulled over in his 32 gts-t which comes factory with 16" rims (as the placard will confirm). He has 18" rims on his car and we were pulled over by police who checked rims and tyre placard and confirmed they were okay (you can go 2" over stock but that is the limit), but that didnt stop them defecting him for road height.. If its not one thing its the other....they can always find something

Edited by r32line

hmmm every man and his dog has 17s...? Thats not being specific enough. What matters is width!

How many men and their dogs have 17x10s??

Id take a set of wide 17s over cheap, shit ausie 19's or 20's any day!! You want ur car to look fat not tall.

your sig is more than double the allowable size. please correct it. maximum height is 200 pixels. yours is more than double that.

your sig is more than double the allowable size. please correct it. maximum height is 200 pixels. yours is more than double that.

And why would u not write me a PM with that advice? This thread is about wheels, not our signatures.

I'll do it tonight..

Back on topic.. just get 17x10s!!! I never see those soughta wheels around! do it do it do it!

Edited by Dean_HR31

I got 19 x 9.5 on the rear 19 x 8 on the front. 35 fronts, 30 rears. Rides fine I think. If it wasn't for the shitty Sydney roads im sure you wouldnt have a problem driving it anywhere else. It drives no different to when it was on 17s. Youv just gotta tuck your 19s under the guards so it doesnt sit too high. Problem is 265 tyres I cant afford to replace all the time with the big camber you need to squeeze them under...

And why would u not write me a PM with that advice? This thread is about wheels, not our signatures.

I'll do it tonight..

Back on topic.. just get 17x10s!!! I never see those soughta wheels around! do it do it do it!

I put it here because I noticed it here. geez. I thought I was being nice by not just editing your account and removing it myself, or giving you a warning... hell I even said please... :ninja: