SAU Community

R32 Running Issues

Hey guys

Ive recently bought myself an R32 Gtst and all was running great wen i bought it.

After having the car for a little over a week, someone idiot decided they were going to try and steal it from my house, they were unsuccessful, but did leave me with alot of damages to pay for.

Since then the car has not been running properly and feels like it loses spark, for instance i might b driving along and all of a sudden the car will miss fire rapidly and lose all of its power, this is not consistant with a certain rev range and does not happen every gear but happens alot. and also has problems idleing

has anyone had any similar problems before and could throw any ideas towards me to wat the problem might b?

the only ideas i have thought of are the ecu has an error or is broken?

and ideas would b greatly appreciated!

Jared

I don't understand how someone trying to steal your car is going to give you running problems either, but have you tried changing the spark plugs? Try reseting the ecu also if you think there's something wrong with it. Just disconnect your battery and leave it over night or push on the brake peddle with the battery disconnected.

Bad luck that your car was targeted by thieves.

Sorry i spose i should have added the problems just started like pretty much as soon as the car was stolen and was probably just a coincidence...

ive already tried removing the ecu over night, and i have already changed the spark plugs..

the damages caused wen the car was stolen was, the ignition barrell was ripped out, window smashed and ecu removed and thrown on the back seat...

I think high possiblity of loom damage at the ecu end...as whoever tried to steal ure car were probably pissed off that they could make your car go they probably pulled the ecu out without undoing the bolt in the middle of the plug and has resulted in a bad connection in the loom. just go through all the wires on the ecu plug and check that they are all intact and the the sockets inside the plug are plushed in all the way... did you replace the ignition barrel?? maybe that is cutting the ignition randomly?

Edited by r31et

thanks for ur replys...

ive checked the wires going to the ecu and all seem to be fine...

i also cleaned the AFM which made it run great for half a day and then it went back to running bad but not as bad which i thought was wierd n i couldnt figure out y it would run awesome for a few hours and then start acting up again? so i pulled off the AFM again and checked it all out again and everything was still very clean.

Yeah i replaced the ignition barrell but the wires at the back were un damaged as the backend of the ignition barrell remained untouched...

i think it might b tym to take it s professional... does anyone no of a good mechanic around the sydney area?

Thanks GTST....

soz i forgot to mention, anywhere but autosport :wub:

all my mates that hav had turbo cars have gone there and all my mates have regretted it, they have had nothing but problems there...

ive herd good things about CV performance in taren point/Caringbah tho? has anyone had any dealings with them?

Well I had thought my car was not running right for some time, and a few mechanics offered possible causes but weren't sure (my issues weren't the same as yours) so I took it to a dyno. The put it on and were doing the pre-checks and then the guy called me over and said "Does this car have a fuel pump?" and I just said its never been changed so it would be the original one... He then said this car is running lean and that it needs a fuel pump replacement! He said not to rev it out till I get it fixed.

I just got a call from my mechanic to say that the fuel pump is in (Bosch 040) and that it is like a different car... He said it feels like it has 30% more power and revs out much cleaner!

I can't wait to pick it up.......!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

I had the same issues with my last RB20 and on the rare occasion the new one does it too. The common denominators between my car with the old vs new RB20 is ECU, Turbo, AFM and Bosch 040.

thanks everyone for all your replys...

the car is hopefully getting dyno'd and checked out on tuesday through a mates car club for nice and cheap :)

im thinking the problem is most likely AFM, but now thinking it might b the fuel pump cause that would make sense as im pretty sure the original one is still in there... i might have to check that out!!

thanks guys

thanks everyone for all your replys...

the car is hopefully getting dyno'd and checked out on tuesday through a mates car club for nice and cheap :)

im thinking the problem is most likely AFM, but now thinking it might b the fuel pump cause that would make sense as im pretty sure the original one is still in there... i might have to check that out!!

thanks guys

The fuel pump would have to be pretty bad to give problems at idle.

I've previously had success resoldering the afm but recently my son's 32 started having these problems, which would go away temporarily when he wriggled the afm plug.

I couldn't see any broken solder joints in the afm so I looked at the plug and two of the pin holes seemed a little bigger than the other two, possibly resulting in a poor connection so I pushed the pin hole sides in with a jeweller's screwdriver to ensure a tighter fit on the pins.

This needs to be done carefully as it would be easy to ruin the plug with a heavy hand.

The problem has gone completely for three weeks and counting.

yeh it's got to be AFM related.

if not the AFM, then the plug, if not the plug, then the loom it's connected it.

the engine bay gets pretty hot on a daily basis.

heating, cooling over and over for 15 odd years.

plastics and so on are going to get frail.

make a small change like removing the air box to fit a pod and you have to disconnect the afm, the plug, bend stuff around to remove things...

things can break/split.