SAU Community

Waterless Wash?

being the avid water conserver that i am i bought a bottle of the ol' spray on waterless wash and been using it and find its pretty alright stuff but i've heard it's real bad for the paint? anyone confirm this? cuz i don't wanna be harming my baby.

Might be but I havent heard anything confirming that. Normally I give it a once over at carlovers if it's really dirty and then use plenty of towels while im using the waterless wash. Main thing is not too have big particles of dirt on the car when your cleaning it.

I was a detailer for almost 3 years a while back and I would NEVER use a waterless wash on any car...

That said, it does depend on what colour car is too, if your car is Silver, White or Light grey you can get away with more because those colours dont show up scratches as much but black, blue, red or alot of other darker colours WILL scratch a lot easier using a waterless wash.

I say, go to car lovers RINSE your car with the sprayer (dont use the brush or the so called "hot wax") then drive the long way home to air dry it and use a nice soft chamois and polish cloth to finish it off. :nyaanyaa:

Edited by Bullet32

I was a detailer for almost 3 years a while back and I would NEVER use a waterless wash on any car...

That said, it does depend on what colour car is too, if your car is Silver, White or Light grey you can get away with more because those colours dont show up scratches as much but black, blue, red or alot of other darker colours WILL scratch a lot easier using a waterless wash.

I say, go to car lovers RINSE your car with the sprayer (dont use the brush or the so called "hot wax") then drive the long way home to air dry it and use a nice soft chamois and polish cloth to finish it off. :P

why not the brush or the wax? whats the go?

The BRUSH NO!!!! the dude in the 4wd befor you doesnt care about leaving rocks etc. in it plus thery are made from some rough crap...

Just go wash your car at night and take your own sponge/chamios/cleaning equip... no cranky operator tellin you off then.

Dont use the brush because (as TeeJay1600 said) there is almost always foreign crap like stones, sand, tar or mud in the bristles which as much as you spray the brush will still be there when you wash with it.

Even though they say that the brush wont hurt your paint, I have seen the evidence and can say that it is just as bad as using an automated car wash.

The so called "Hot wax" is just hot water mixed with some sort of waxy slime that dries onto your car and leaves streaks that dont polish out, the only way to get them out is to have the car machine buffed, I had to do this to a mates Skyline after he used the hot wax and it took 3 hours to buff the streaks out.

If you love your car, rinse it with the pre-wash rinse and then the high pressure rinse and THATS IT!

Take a good chamois with you and chamois it (if there isnt still crap on the paint) and then when you get home give it a good polish or hit it with some Meguires cleaner clay to get rid of any tar spots or dead bug marks.

You could do what I do which is tedious but hey it works... *Note: Make sure you do this after operating hours or you will be asked to leave :D*

- Fill a Thermos with boiling water, take a bucket and some car washing liquid.

- Go to one of the car washes.

- Give the car a high pressure blast with the hose

- pour the washing liquid and boiling water into the bucket and use the hose to fill (usually the less powerful mode or it tends to blow your bucket halfway across the car wash (yes I have done this, it's funny to everyone except you hehe)).

- wash the car as you would normally (if there are others around I do it a lot quicker and usually have it done quicker than your regular Joe Blow)

- use the high pressure rinse again.

- Chamois.

Bobs your uncle you have a nice clean car that has not damaged the paint.