SAU Community

Side Mount Plennums

R33(00)    (00)

hey i was wondering about side mount plennums i have a rb25det i have been thinking about all the sorts of things i want to do to it i am deffintaly goin to get a power fc for it but i have been looking around and alot of people are using greddy plennums. i have herd that they can do damage to ur engine, just curiouse wat the go is with them. when i was looking at mine the other day the standard setup seems to have alot of hoses and bull sh+t wat happens to all of that withe the new plennum cus they dont seem to have any of it. just after some advice cheers

"Forward Facing Plenum" is what most people refer to it as.

The greddy ones will not break your engine.

it all comes down to tuning.

I'm sure someone with a Greddy plenum can add to the subject of where all the hoses and vacuum lines go.

My guess is that some are for emissions and are blocked off, others are "Tee'd" off with other ones.

You might want to consider if a new plenum is worth it..

the stock ones have been used successfully for over 300rwkw in RB20 and RB25 form.

and the amount of piping you reduce is no longer than about 50-80cm.

yeah well i might not worrie about it if the stock one can flow up to 300rwkw then there is no point they look cool and they would make a difference but for wat i want the stock one will do fine i would like to get to 260kw and that will be fine so i might just leave it cheers guys

I ran 350rwkw on sunoco 104 through a stock head/plenum RB25.

....and the yanks run 1000+rwhp with a standard gtr plenum....doesnt mean its any good (note i am not saying it is/isn't)

one thing you are forgetting is efficiency which is the true indication of a well put together combination. this is missing in a lot of combinations which are neither here nor there in terms of overall performance and could be a lot better

its not what you do but how you do it...remember that

at the end of the day its been proven that the stock item can do 400rwkw +

The only advantage it has is looks and location for piping (gains are to be had for the different piping setup)

Depends how much money you have i guess.. i got mine because i was advised to get it and was fully aware that i did not NEED to get one. I went for the plazmaman and i would only suggest these plenums as they are the best IMHO

....and the yanks run 1000+rwhp with a standard gtr plenum....doesnt mean its any good (note i am not saying it is/isn't)

one thing you are forgetting is efficiency which is the true indication of a well put together combination. this is missing in a lot of combinations which are neither here nor there in terms of overall performance and could be a lot better

its not what you do but how you do it...remember that

Someone beat me to it :)

at the end of the day its been proven that the stock item can do 400rwkw +

Depends how much money you have i guess..

When my car was just as responsive with cars with plenums, cams etc. (and all my gear was stock)

I think i was right in spending the 4 figures elsewhere ;)

you are both missing the point......EFFICIENCY.......therefore making the power easier (less boost) and with most probably other benefits like increased torque and throttle response

4 figures and you are getting ripped ;)

we want one that does not lean out cyl's mate. Id rather get one that works then a cheapie.

you are both missing the point......EFFICIENCY.......therefore making the power easier (less boost) and with most probably other benefits like increased torque and throttle response

4 figures and you are getting ripped ;)

There is more to efficiency than just a plenum as im sure you agree.

Again, its cost vs gain at the end of the day.

I can understand where your coming from, but when boost is free, plenums are not... and a budget is to be kept.

It stands to reason people choose to use certain parts and not others.

we want one that does not lean out cyl's mate. Id rather get one that works then a cheapie.

a 4% variance on mine compared to 8% standard should help eliminate that problem ;)

There is more to efficiency than just a plenum as im sure you agree........but when boost is free, plenums are not

totally agree 100% nismoid...but boost is not always best especially on older engines like the majority of people have...the extra $$$'s spent could save you a lot more in the future. not only save the pistons/rings from detonation due to poor air distribution but also wear and tear, but i think we will agree to disagree

a 4% variance on mine compared to 8% standard should help eliminate that problem :rofl:

totally agree 100% nismoid...but boost is not always best especially on older engines like the majority of people have...the extra $$$'s spent could save you a lot more in the future. not only save the pistons/rings from detonation due to poor air distribution but also wear and tear, but i think we will agree to disagree

im thinking of heading in the greddy plenum direction,

what are yours worth and how do they compare to the genuine greddy?

cheers

ps. im over 320kws, gt3582, rb25, auto

Has anyone used an Rb26 Plenum on an Rb25 using the Blitz adapter and kept the 6 throttle bodies, any idea how good that would work?

Edited by Atreyu

if i could find my before n after dyno's id post them up... ariels plenums are awesome especially for the money, i ran 360rwkw with mine and it was sweet, with an 80mm throttle body. i luved it... changed to an rb26 head so i sold it... greddy is over rated/priced.

ben...