SAU Community

Greetings!

r_palac

Greetings fellow Skyline enthusiasts!

I am a new member here altho i have been browsing the forums for some time now. I am also a member of NS.com.

Unfortunately i do not know too much about Skylines, so you will have to bear with me at times. Hope i can make a good positive contribution to this community :)

One of the main reasons i am here is because i am finally selling off my beloved s13 and upgrading to r34 GT-T Skyline (my dream car for some time now!). I am looking at buying one from an importer here on the Gold Coast but firstly i would like to get some feeback on a few queries of mine.

Firstly, how much is too much (in ur opinion)... regarding km's on a freshly imported 34?

Secondly, im not too fussed about Auto or Manual, but can anyone shed some light on the responsiveness and overall feel of the tiptronic gearbox?

and lastly, what things should i look out for when inspecting the car and should i take it to a mechanics first to get it all checked out and get some tests done?

Thanks guys, look forward to your feedback!

1. km's mean nothing as *every* import has its speedo wound back (***not every single one has, but its very rare to find a car with genuine kms, spend more time on #3 as its more important)

2. nfi, get a manual

3. first thing i normally look at is panel alignment, and look at bolts on guards etc to see if they've been removed. the way i see it, every single part that makes up your car is bolted to the chassis, anything thats f*cked can be replaced, no matter how big of a job it may be, it can still be replaced. but if the chassis/body itself has worn impact, it cant be replaced without buying another car basically.

next, get them to start it and look out for odd coloured smoke etc, although some blue/gray smoke at startup is normal, as long as its not excessive (should be very little on a new-ish car like a 34gtt) take it for a drive, make sure it pulls hard through the gears. most places will get pissed off at doing this, but f*ck em, if your spening up big, dont take no chances. make sure you go through every gear (not flat out, leave that for 1st and 2nd) make sure the box feels good, and the motor is smooth listen for any wierd noises, check temp guages etc.

get a mechanic to compression test etc on the motor, and check the car over, this may be worth a few hundred bucks but well worth it, just make sure u take it to a reputable mechanic, dont bother with RACQ as i've heard they dont know sh*t when it comes to imports (RACV, but im guessing it'll be the same up in QLD)

make sure it stops well, a good hard step on the pedal will tell u this, dont warn the person from the shop thats with u if u dont like em lol

another thing i like to do is just assess the interiors general condition, but dont put too much importance on this as some places may go over it to freshen it up before they sell it, however if you find a car with 'only' 30,000km and severally worn steering wheel and handbrake, run.... make sure u punch the guy on the way out too :thumbsup:

i'm no pro but at least that ^ is a start. more ppl will add to it

cheers,

VB

thanks for the reply VB-

does anyone know how much difference there is between the coupe and the sedan in terms of handling and power? Obviously the sedan is heavier therefore slower, but if someone could give some input from personal experience would be greatly appreciated?

Also what's everyone view on the r34 sedans?

I drive a 4 door auto:

1. Expect to see vehicles between 80k - 120k, be wary of anything saying less. Still, km's don't mean a whole lot to these vehicles.

2. I don't have any issues with it, obviously :D Auto's tend to be cheaper as there's less of a demand

3. All the stuff you'd do with any other car you'd buy.

on sedans: Don't think there is a huge different between them. Having the 2 extra doors though is handy.

[hi

i just bought a gtt r34 two weeks ago, it had 88.000 on the clock and had the original log book.

great car love it i have trip tronic and i like it.

go for the two door it looks heaps better.

look at spending 20 000 to 25 000 for a good one. try to buy privite by someone who has imported it themself.

most of the car yards sell shit boxs.

good luck