SAU Community

Skinny Or Fat Tyres?

SHY_33

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hey guys!

for the past year and a half me and my mates have been having a disagreement

about the width of our tyres. my view was wider (265) tyres are better as there is more

serface area on the road to get better traction.

his opinion is that skinnier (185) tyres have more pressure on the road,

therefor the traction and handeling is better.

what are your thoughts???

Edited by SHY_33

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your mate is partially correct in places of limited traction like wet roads where a skinnier tyre will "cut" through the water to gain traction. A wider tyre will tend to sit on the water.

This is similar concept to when (in a wheels article) heavier cars out braked lighter cars in the wet. The greater weight on a smaller surface area assisted in traction.

On the whole he is wrong and the "stickyness" of the tyre has a lot more to do with it.

well the way i look at it is the v8 super cars dont put 185s when it starts rainig hey so fatter is still betta

i would say that is because skinny tyres are better only to a certain point, ie: if you put bike tyres on it will obviously not grip, but if you put 305s on with will aquaplane real bad, they must have found a happy medium with whatever they use

So far so good 1nce i get enough people and a few pages im gonna print it off and give this forum page's to him,

his a very close mate but he still shits me with the skinny tyres are betta, and yes he had 185 on his car now has 225 and wont say anything about the handaling of his car special cause its a vc comordor,

but whats funny it doesnt stop there we are into extreme 4wd and he has started it again likes of i had a patrol with 39.5x16x15 and he had 35x10x16 and he still says the same fact skinny is betta.

EVERY PLEASE VOTE

thanks john

Well everyone is wrong so far. It depends on the application and the car.

Why would wider tyres neccesarily make a car have more grip? Chances are with your hetik skyline with 10 inch wide rims that weigh 30 kg a corner cos you got them at wheel worx aren't going to give you more grip now are they?

So maybe in outright grip in a straight line having a wider tyre will be usefull, but would you rather have a 100 dollars 285 wide tyre or a pirelli 225? i think i know which i'd prefer. And when it comes to corners i'd say suspension plays a greater role in traction relative to how wide your tyres are.

So to conclude read and find whats the best match for your car.

It's just like getting a 200 intercooler off here or getting a 1000 dollar greddy or arc cooler. Sure the 200 dollar may be bigger but i'd bet the farm the arc would flow better and cool better.

You pay for quality full stop. but now i'm getting off topic.

arhhhh

Edited by kralster

Well everyone is wrong so far. It depends on the application and the car.

Why would wider tyres neccesarily make a car have more grip? Chances are with your hetik skyline with 10 inch wide rims that weigh 30 kg a corner cos you got them at wheel worx aren't going to give you more grip now are they?

So maybe in outright grip in a straight line having a wider tyre will be usefull, but would you rather have a 100 dollars 285 wide tyre or a pirelli 225? i think i know which i'd prefer. And when it comes to corners i'd say suspension plays a greater role in traction relative to how wide your tyres are.

So to conclude read and find whats the best match for your car.

It's just like getting a 200 intercooler off here or getting a 1000 dollar greddy or arc cooler. Sure the 200 dollar may be bigger but i'd bet the farm the arc would flow better and cool better.

You pay for quality full stop. but now i'm getting off topic.

arhhhh

are u taking wind resistant into them calculations , i think the question is in general do wider tyres have more grip than skinny tyres not do 225 goodyears on a supra have more grip than 235 falkens on a ford at 34.6759657842 degrees

lol @ ^

lets face it, the broad answer to this broad question is - wider is better.

your getting too technical.

think of it this way. these two guys had a few beers, watching ralph tv, maybe some cones, and then 1 says skinny tires are better than wide.

what do you do?

*SLAP* i'm rick james bitch