SAU Community

Rb20 Overheated

BANGN

was sitting stationary this morning and saw steam come out bonnet, i look down at temp gauge to see it almost in the HOT area... so i like mounted the kerb got out and poped the bonnet.

it spat out the coolant out the overflow, the overflow was empty but not sure about the radiator level.

let it cool down for 5 minutes, started it back up and drove it down road to automasters, they are guna look at it on friday.

does this sounds like a thermostat issue? this is the first problem iv had with the car and its so sudden.

are the rb20 heads strong, surely those few seconds was not enough to warp the head. it started and idled fine afterwards and it didnt shoot straight up to the heat either, even after 3-4min of running.

when it cooled down did the radiator have coolant in it? what kind of fan set up do you have? if clutch fan, make sure its not seized, if thermo, make sure they are doing there job well by putting your hand in front of radiator to feel air being pulled through the core at a decent rate rather than a slight breeze. Wouldn't hurt to flush the system and put fresh coolant in as well.

you may have a leak if the overflow was empty and was previously full, unsure whether it may or may not be thermostat. I would check these things first.

Edited by gibbau

i got a call to be told the water pump is leaking, i contacted the old owner and he asured me it was replaced 15 thousand kms ago...

im going to get them to do a oxygen test on teh coolant to see if its worth replacing or chuck the motor away.

strange.. i couldnt see it, spose that wat sucks about it behind behind covers.

The rb20 heads are tough as.. :blink:

When I first bought my car years ago I unknowingly (due to a faulty temp sensor) had it running upwards of 120degree's for a whole summer. The temp gauge when the sender was fixed would sit on the H rock solid. And I wondered why it would spit water out in traffic lol.

How the car was fine I still have no idea; it went on to run another 100,000km's before I pulled the motor out; still making great power, excellent compression etc.

timing belt was done about 15 thousand ago, has a stamp on there saying so anyway. looks to correct by the condition of the belt

by the time i get a tow truck which will be 130 bucks

go to my other house to collect the tools i need to do the job with fuel + the cost of a pump and coolant

may as well get them to do it :P

i was just trying to justify spendn that amount LOL so maybe if someone can tell me its a shit job and it takes days il feel better :unsure:

Edited by BANGN