SAU Community

Apexi Sitc? Worth Installing? Old Technology?

SkyGts4

Hi I already have a apexi safc2 & have managed to score a brand new apexi sitc. I rang my tuner for a safc2 tune & I mentioned to him if it was worth me installing the apexi sitc, he said that it isn't worth installing because its old technology & known to be unreliable. Is this true? But I'm keen to install it as it was an effort to find it?

Hi there. My personal experience was first i had an SAFC2. Then i purchased a SITC and had this installed. There was no gain in power at all and the car did not feel any different. In my opinion this was a waste of money. So in my experience of now having a power fc (although they are hard to come by), Is a much better option in the way that it delivers it's power and it's ability to be able to handle after market mods like Z32 afm, bigger injectors, turbo etc. So if you ask me i would sell the SITC and the SAFC and try and source some sort of aftermarket full replacement ECU. Hope this helps. :)

Hi there. My personal experience was first i had an SAFC2. Then i purchased a SITC and had this installed. There was no gain in power at all and the car did not feel any different. In my opinion this was a waste of money. So in my experience of now having a power fc (although they are hard to come by), Is a much better option in the way that it delivers it's power and it's ability to be able to handle after market mods like Z32 afm, bigger injectors, turbo etc. So if you ask me i would sell the SITC and the SAFC and try and source some sort of aftermarket full replacement ECU. Hope this helps. :)

the only reason for this would be if the sitc wasnt adjusted at all. if you had the safc2 THEN got the sitc installed it wouldnt really be needed unless you started modding the car further than before.

it wont do anything if its set to 0.

the only reason for this would be if the sitc wasnt adjusted at all. if you had the safc2 THEN got the sitc installed it wouldnt really be needed unless you started modding the car further than before.

it wont do anything if its set to 0.

Of course this is true if the SITC is set to 0 it would not do a thing. It was adjusted and tuned on the dyno and still did not gain anything. Yet two weeks later i went back with the power fc with no other mods, this was installed and tuned and 15 kw was gained and the car was completely different in the way that it delivered the power. It was very smooth and just a totally different car to drive. Hope this help's. :closedeyes:

i noticed a big change over just having the safc2 i gained over 15rwkw with it i actually got all my parts stolen 6 months ago and put in an emanage ultimate and was more happy with the safc2 and sitc combo so i bought another one and went back to that. I know obviously the power fc will get you more gains and finer tuning points but for what it's worth i thought it was a decent upgrade.

• 3 years later...

Just bumping an old thread here (sorry about that) but what is the adjustment on an S-ITC? I'm looking at getting one to increase my timing before boost and drop it a bit in the top end.

I googled them, and here http://www.ca.dsm.org/ARB/apexi_sitc.html it says + or - 15%, now 15% is SFA (on 15 degree base timing I’ll only get another couple degrees) is that correct? Or is it + or - 15 degrees (which would make more sense)?

Also, is it a blanket increase over the range (between rpms) then a spike to the next setting, or does it smooth and blend like an SAFC?

the only time i could see it useful is if you have an auto skyline?

otherwise you may find a powerfc would come up at the same price by the time you factor in two seperate installs, two seeprate tunes and buying both items

Why if you have an Auto skyline? PFC's for RB25's are well over $1k, I've already got an AFC Neo (cost $250) which I fitted my self, and i can get an S-ITC for $150 locally which i can also fit myself.

This looks like it should do what I need it to do, cheers though.

Personally I think half of your money probably goes towards the "rare" factor.

If PFC is not in your budget, then why not Nistune?

Plenty of good results and pricing is good, not too mention you could probably sell the SAFC you have now and be over half way towards the Nistune.

My 2c anyway.

I do agree that nistune is a great option, especially for a budget, but it’s just not what I'm after for this car. I'm happy with the stock tune; I just want to make mild adjustments here and there. This is still more cost effective than a nistune, without having to wire in a Z32 ECU (to keep VCT) and make other modifications for my Active LSD/AWD. Plus, simple fuel and ignition adjustments for correct mixtures are fine and easy to do myself, but a full tune with aftermarket management isn’t something that I’d want to tackle my self as it really requires a Dyno.

A nistune is definitely going to be my choice for my RB30DET (with RB20 ecu) build, as it has different cams, injectors, ecu, compression and capacity. But my R33 is a daily and has all standard running gear (turbo/injectors/afm etc) and perfect drivability, I’m just after some mild adjustment to give it a bit more response down low and allow me to run a bit more boost and drop the ignition timing up top.

Edited by SKiT_R31

I do agree that nistune is a great option, especially for a budget, but it's just not what I'm after for this car. I'm happy with the stock tune; I just want to make mild adjustments here and there. This is still more cost effective than a nistune, without having to wire in a Z32 ECU (to keep VCT) and make other modifications for my Active LSD/AWD. Plus, simple fuel and ignition adjustments for correct mixtures are fine and easy to do myself, but a full tune with aftermarket management isn't something that I'd want to tackle my self as it really requires a Dyno.
You need a dyno to tune SAFC and SITC. How are you measuring the afrs? Do you have a wide band meter? What are you going to use for knock detection?

SAFC and SITC are better than nothing - I used to have them before I converted to manual but they are crude tools compared to Nistune, PFC or Link etc.

why if you have an auto skyline? becuase there are no aftermarket stand alone ECU's that support auto properly

so you are stuck with the STD ECU & piggybacks on top

i see no legit reason to use SAFC and SITC and others on the normal ECU if you have manual GTST

its probably cheaper and easier and quicker and better results to just go powerfc (or nistune) straight off the bat

I have a wideband 02 sensor & EGT datalogger as well as electronic knock detection (tapping into the knock sensors) and a pretty good ear :O.

I self tuned my car a long time ago and have never had an issue; I'm just making some changes with my water+meth setup and boost delivery so i want some light ignition adjustment so I can keep low rpm economy and response.

I have quite lean AFR's (13:1), high compression (10:1), 20degree's timing running stock boost (6.5psi) before 4500rpm, where I wish to richen the mixture to 12:1 (currently at 12.5:1) I then wish to retard the timing ~ 5 degree's, up the boost to 10-12psi and run water+meth injection (boost activated at 7.5psi).

Currently I have 2 tunes, my econo-daily tune, and my power tune with high boost (which i have to retard the base timing) that utilises the water+meth injection.

All I am trying to do is incorporate both into the one usable tune (as its a paint in the ass to change and test every time) a compromise of having the power >4500rpm with the economy and response below it (without wasting the water+meth in daily driving).

My EGT's are loving it, I have no issues with detonation, relax kids it's not that high strung, I know what I’m doing, done it all too many times.

These piggy backs take basic rpm points to make adjustments with, quite easy to do on the street. Aftermarket management has multiple load points and variations which would make it a nightmare to tune on the street. It would be a headache to have to tune it on the track and I don’t want to pay for it to be left it in the hands of a Dyno tuner. And after all, it is just my daily which I’m only trying to get a bit more out of - I’m not building a ball breaking monster.

Edited by SKiT_R31