SAU Community

Eoi: Sau/sa Club

Cubes

SAU/SA Club  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some points ive thought of... most likely some stuff is "captain obvious", some stuff maybe not so.

Hope its a good read.

Constitution

SAU-Vic used the NSW club's one as a base, but we changed a fair bit of it in some things that we felt better suited our ideals/members and so on.

Your welcome to use that if you like and then sit down and workout what you want to change etc.

Taxation/Registrations as NPO

As you will be registering the club as a Non Profit Organisation (NPO). You don’t have to register for the GST until the club have a turnover of $100,000 per annum, you are not required to submit a tax return either.

You will still need to keep books and proper records of money in/out and so on.

It’s a good idea to appoint someone yearly, for an audit of accounts. Which is something that goes into the "C" as well

CAMS Affiliation

They will want a copy of the constitution from memory, so basically the big "C" is the starting point of everything

The rest of the details I've seen in this thread, and details are also on their website about it all.

Membership Fee's

SAU-Vic's aim was to become the cheapest CAMS Affiliated club in Vic. This was for a couple of reasons

1. To get our members the cheapest possible CAMS licenses

2. To also increase membership base by people joining the club just for CAMS, not necessarily owning a skyline/being active on the forums.

This worked well with our $50 joining fee, and $20 Admin fee (on time payable only).

So at $50 to become a member of a CAMS affiliated club - was the cheapest, and still is in Vic.

You also membership fee's do make up a fair portion of your clubs income. So make pricing too high, you wont get many members.

Too low and you wont have enough in the kitty :)

Sponsors

Realistically from a business point of view, you wont have many large sponsors in your first financial year for a few reasons.

1. Sponsors like to see something as up and running, doing events and see where their money is going.

2. The first 12 months might lead to a dissolution of the club, its highly unlikely, but a business mind is going to be thinking about this so might put no money in, or very little initially.

3. Membership base will be small, so audience of the money outlay wont be too big.

Merchandise

You obviously need something, maybe a T-shirt/Polo/Caps/Stickers to get started.

To note, you wont really have any money initially to get this up and running until you get the first round of memberships.

In that respect the new/potential members have to instil some trust the Committee that is formed, that they will do this within the early months of club formation

Just needs to be something identify yourselves at public events to say "Hey, SAU-SA is official and working".

When out at public drift events/drag days and so on its good to see people wearing the club gear and especially if it’s a new club in the area people will be asking questions and so on about it.

This also ties into sponsors later on if you do (using Vic as an example) come jackets or something the club can decide to put business logo's on and so forth, and charge accordingly for it. Sponsors love getting their logo's on merchandise as its great exposure.

Bank accounts

The big "C" is required before you can set this up.

Back in '03 we found the best bank at the time to be Westpac for a number of reasons.

1. They offered bank accounts with nil/low fees for Non Profit Organisations

2. Dual signatory was offered, and a cheque book for free (if memory serves me correct)

I personally went to a number of other large banks and none of them really offered anything other than a normal account.

This might well have changed in 2-3 years as far as what bank offers what.

But as a NPO you don’t want to be paying fee's for transactions etc. It just eats up your money.

Enjoy.

Im sure there is lots ive missed, i was pretty busy at work so i couldn't give much thought other than about 15-20mins

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm keen to hear of progress, I want to get a level 2 NS for motorkhana/drift pracs and this would be the best club for me to join, should it become a reality.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whats happening with this...

Would really like to see SA have it's own club and become CAMS affiliated!!

It's my hometown I would even be interested in joining :starwars:

P.s Maz if you need a hand with anything you have my number!! :D Plus I will be coming back for a visit this year

kool jess see answer as per MGEC thread :)

haha, is that suppose to be skates or skirt?? :)

So is there anything actually holding up getting the club started?

I would love to see you guys like NSW and VIC and getting into all things motorsport :)