SAU Community

M35 Info

Brazen

stagea_big.gif

M35 Stagea Info

There are a few different threads about the M35 Stageas on these forums, but most are early thoughts and opinions or specific queries. So I thought a more generic thread of info on them might be useful for people. Feel free to correct or suggest additions :P

Main Changes

Some of the main changes for the M35 over the earlier C34 models that I like:

Longer wheel base giving more leg room up front, and importantly 9cm extra "knee room" for rear seat passengers, but still larger boot space (500 litres, up from 475). Also more headroom.

Improved weight ratio. The longer wheel base also allows engine to shift back over front wheels and fuel tank under rear seat - giving a much better 52:48 weight ratio over the wheels (51:49 in 2wd models), and much better handling

5 speed tiptronic vs 4 speed

Larger fuel tank - M35 is 80L vs 68L previous model

Switch to VQ25DET engine, providing big increase in torque over the series 2, from 334Nm at 3200rpm to 407Nm at 3200rpm - and very noticeble pick up in pulling such a heavy car.

Half-hatch rear door - quick opening of glass section to access boot)

Much better
for crumple zones etc in accidents including a mechanism that 'drops' the engine in front-on collisions, as well as loads of new technoology features like the seat cushion protection system

Larger rolling diametre (680mm vs 540mm - larger again in AR-X)

New design improves aerodynamics with zero aerodynamic lift at high speed

Front mount intercooler in M35 vs side mount in C34... can use slightly modified factory piping etc and just put larger cooler in

New multi-link rear suspension designed specifically for wagons. Coil springs mounted separately from the shock absorbers and lowers the upper attachment position of the shock absorbers by 270 mm compared with previous model, minimising intrusions into the luggage area.

Integration of the plastic back door with the body structure. A newly developed rubber side wedge incorporating a spring and an automatic back door closure enable the back door to function as an integral part of the body structure. The damping effect of the plastic back door reduces the body vibration typically in wagons, providing superior handling and stability combined with increased comfort and lower noise.

Option of factory 200w Bose sound system including spare-wheel-well mounted subwoofer

New storage compartment under rear floor - lifts up on hydraulic sliders - made possible with moving fuel tank under back seat

DVD / Sat-nav option... even without the conversion - it has great engine management display functionality including mileage, fuel mix, etc etc

"Intelligent" cruise control which adjusts the cars speed according to the distance and speed of the car up front using a small grille mounted sensor

Model Variants:

From 2001 to 2003 the following range of models were available:

• 250RS/RS V/RX: VQ25DD engine (V6 2.5L NA, direct injection, 158.3 kW), rear wheel drive NOT ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT
  • 250RS FOUR/RX FOUR: VQ25DD engine (V6 2.5L NA, direct injection, 158.3 kW), four wheel drive NOT ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT
  • 250tRS FOUR V/RX FOUR: VQ25DET engine (V6 2.5L single turbo, 205.94 kW), four wheel drive ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE UP TO 11/03 MODELS AVAILABLE
  • 300RX: VQ30DD engine (V6 3.0L NA, direct injection, 191.23 kW), rear wheel drive ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE NOT AVAILABLE

There were a couple of sub-variants:

• 250tRS FOUR V HICAS: A 250tRS FOUR V with the addition of the Nissan HICAS four wheel steering system ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE UP TO 11/03 MODELS AVAILABLE
  • AR-X FOUR: A 250t FOUR (ie 2,5L turbo/4wd) model with increased ride height, leather, 18" rims and SUV-like body ornaments. 206 kW ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE UP TO 11/03 MODELS AVAILABLE
  • The were 4 'aero selection' models added in 2002 to the 250RS/250tRS FOUR/250tRS FOUR V/250tRS FOUR V HICAS ranges, this added a bodykit to the standard car.

From 2004 the range was modified:

• 250RX: VQ25DD engine (V6 2.5L NA, direct injection, 158.3 kW), rear wheel drive NOT ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT
  • 250RX FOUR: VQ25DD engine (V6 2.5L NA, direct injection, 158.3 kW), four wheel drive NOT ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT
  • 350RX: VQ35DE engine (V6 3.5L NA 200 kW), rear wheel drive ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE NOT AVAILABLE
  • 350RX FOUR: VQ35DE engine (V6 3.5L NA, 200 kW), four wheel drive ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE NOT AVAILABLE
  • AR-X FOUR: VQ35DE engine (V6 3.5L NA, 200 kW), four wheel drive with increased ride height, leather, 18" rims and SUV-like body ornaments ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORT - COMPLIANCE NOT AVAILABLE

There was also an Autech variant called an AXIS (with bodykit, custom leather, lowered suspension, different rims), eligible for import and able to be complied for manufacture dates to 11/03 with the VQ25DET. The Axis 350S (VQ35DE and 6 speed manual transmission) is eligible for import but no RAWS currently have compliance approval.

Links to Information:

Official Nissan Stagea Site Loads of info on the M35s on the nissan site - just get the translator working! Has lots of moving images including diagramatic morph of the wgc34 into an M35 :ninja:

** more to come

Links to Aftermarket Parts etc:

Compliance

Compliance is currently only available for M35s fitted with the VQ25DET engine and with a build date of 11/03 or earlier. While other engine variants are indicated as 'eligible for import' they do not as yet have a RAWS that has successfully passed testing. It is rumoured testing might be underway for M35s with the VQ35DE engine (2004 - 2007 should be ok as the VQ35DE is unlikely to face the ADR79 emmission problems the VQ25DET is facing).

RAWS workshops currently able to offer compliance:

• Northside Prestige in Sydney

• Motovation Imports in Burleigh QLD

For the latest info, search for RAWS here

Assorted pictures:

HotM35.jpeg

1a_03_01.jpg

2b_03.jpg2a_06.jpg

2b_02.jpg

2b_03.jpg

topimage.jpg

axiss_02.jpgaxis_01.jpg

03.jpgstage03.jpg

Edited by Brazen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Awesome forum - i stumbled onto it accidentally, and found the stagea discussion. :-)

I've been looking at buying a stagea for a while now, and have been talking to Ben at J-Spec regarding this one -

l_d26c9f6dae27f7873a32d75d85fda36f.jpg

2002 Nissan Stagea 250t RS FOUR

Silver

15,000km

Tiptronic

2,500cc turbo 4WD

Leather interior

20" wheels

Body kit

Aftermarket suspension

Dual airbags

ABS brakes

It works out to be about $28,500 L+C'd.

My question is - how much are the new M35's worth??? There is another one on J-Spec for $17k, with an Axis front bar, but has 140,000k.

Robbie

That's a pretty sweet set of wheels there stagecoach

OH yes

But i think i have to buy new tyres for compliancing, right...???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Might be runnin her on 16" pursuits for a few months if i get her!

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie, if you want to know the "official" value of an M35, check out

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=111363

I have a 2001 250t RS four and I can honestly tell you that it is as close to a flawless a car as you will find (for the money, of course).

It has enough power, great economy (I am at 9.1km/L at the moment - usually 680km each time I put in 70-73L), nice handling, HEAPS of great extras, Lots of room... Just an incredible machine....

Just make sure you get it in leather. Really tops it off.

Best of luck Mate.

Any idea on stud pattern? Is it the same as a 350Z?

Also any idea of anyone that can do the TV/DVD/Sat Nav conversion in Sydney?

One more...lol...Anyone know where I can get spring's from?

P.S. I've sorted a full exhaust in NSW if anyone wants to know...just need to confirm price...approx $1,500!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More info for the ARX mod's:

Exhaust 3" cat back $1,100 from Charlstone Exhaust in Blacktown, Sydney.

Wheels are 350Z & Ford offset and stud pattern.

More mod's to come...for NSW anyway.

P.S. Hope I am not being a pain posting this...it's just it's taken some time for me and I wish I had this info to start with.

Edited by Jetwreck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, i am very interested in these M35.

Regarding the 4X4 system does any one no much about the distribution of power?

Is it like the older GTR systems full rear then spread to front when rear slips?

Are there aftermarket bias controllers available?

Regarding parts and so on what kind of costs are there? EG Auto failure Big Stuff and little stuff brake pads what fits.

The Big Question: Insurance? are there any 26 year olds on sau that have one of these fully insured? What does it roughly cost ?

Any futher info would be greatly appreciated

Pikie