SAU Community

Where To Mount Fire Extinguisher.

SECURITY

ive bought a fire extinguisher for when i do track days but i cant think of where to mount the bracket. i want it in there all the time, not just for track days so its got to be functional.

i was thinking of mounting it on a piece of metal that i'd put between the front 2 bolts of the seat rail. the drivers side looks easiest, the passenger side is a bit uneven so mounting it might be a problem.

having it on the drivers side will restrict how far forward i can put my seat, although i do drive with my seat all the way back on the rail which isnt too much of a problem.

does anyone have any hints or ideas on where to mount the fire extinguisher, pictures would be handy.

thanks.

first link is useless. the link in it doesnt work anymore.

2nd link is what i had in mind, but the r33 rails arent straight across on the passenger side, one comes up on an angle so it will look a bit aquard.

i was thinking of mounting it on a piece of metal that i'd put between the front 2 bolts of the seat rail. the drivers side looks easiest, the passenger side is a bit uneven so mounting it might be a problem.

having it on the drivers side will restrict how far forward i can put my seat, although i do drive with my seat all the way back on the rail which isnt too much of a problem.

does anyone have any hints or ideas on where to mount the fire extinguisher, pictures would be handy.

I've mounted mine on the passenger side, only because the Bride seat mount doesn't permit it on the driver's side. Strip of flat Aluminium mounted between the seat bolts.

Joe,

Ive got mine mounted passenger footwell - the bracket is on the plastic bit that is infront of where the ECU is

:laugh:

doesnt cams require the fire extinguisher to be in reaching distance from the drivers seat?

ive thought about that, but i dont think it would be approved/safe if it wasnt within reaching distance. like what was said in one of the threads beer baron linked: the last thing you want is to be upside down, locked into your seat belt, smelling something burning and not being able to reach your fire extinguisher.

i've been in a situation where a fire extinguisher helped slow down the burning of a car which bought us some time to get people out/away from the car that rolled over and lit up. thats why im being overly cautious about where i want it mounted (nice and close), not just to meet regulations.

good points!

Most of the stuff I do though you can have passengers in so they can reach it :( and the CAMS events I have done there hasnt been an issue where its been mounted

but now you have me thinking - perhaps just behind you mounted on the drivetrain "hump" thingy! otherwise Im all out of ideas!

this is all you need. simple, easy to reach, meets approval from cams scrutineers, easy to make. Plus it's very sold as the last thing you want is it coming loose in an accident. chubbs, mounting it to plastic interior parts is a bad idea. can you imagine what two kilos of steel will feel like it it hits you at 100km/h! not good.

dsc003496bp.jpg

dsc003476eq.jpg

Mine sits neatly along the passenger side foot well, behind the ecu, under the door opening. I can reach it from my seat with my seatbelt on, and its out of the way. And its screwed into the body of the car so it wont fly off.

Nice pics!

As secure as possible is all I'll add, I'd be bolting rather than relying on tappers et al. German cars tend to have the extinguisher under a drivers legs, do what best suits you.

CAMS requires a warning triangle, I suggest the Euro or UN variety, accepted under AUS Standard, AND is the better performing product in night reflector and daytime inner triangle fluroescence. See Sig example.

OT a bit: High visibility safety vest used by roadside at crash scenes and breakdowns to EN471 (EU and world standard) or AS cost as little as $6-00, further cheap insurance.