SAU Community

Wierd Steering Issue

my friend owns an r32 gts-t, stock springs, shocks, rims/tyres, steering wheel etc.

he showed me today a puzzling problem how the steering is normal up till about 65-70km's, which then the steering wheel automatically turns to the left roughly 15 degrees while the car stays straight and remains there.

if you slow down under the 65-70km mark, the steering wheel then turns back to 0 degrees while still staying straight. pretty tripped out!

he's had no smashes or anything like that.. does anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

that's what i thought too, but he has no hicas issues. he had a hicas issue when his speedo cable wasn't working inwhich it wasn't sending a speed signal to hicas, causing the steering to go hard. but that was fixed a while ago.. :)

sounds like the hicas is turning one way and so he is automatically correcting.

remember that the steering wheel has a connection to the rack, so if the steering wheel turns you are turning the front wheels, the steering wheel just can't turn on it's own without turning the wheels.

problem. the hicas controller is stuffed. solution. replace the controller or get a lock bar.

it happened to me but it was a bit random and generally when accelerating hard, so i locked the rear rack.

My car used to do something similar, the wheel always sat about 10deg left of centre and at about 80km/h when accelerating hard, the back end would get a bit quiggly for a couple of seconds - only around 80km/h.

Removed the rear steering rack yesterday and whacked in a lockbar (cheers NV_01), steering wheel now sits straight and no more squirling in the back end..

I can only assume I've been crabbing along for a while now O_o another thing I noticed was that when reversing out of my driveway the wheel would sit about 10deg to the RIGHT, then left again when moving forward. I think hicas was fubar'd!

THANKS FOR THIS INFO GUYS!!! I thought I was just going crazy with my R32 because on the freeway the steering wheel would sit to right but when I was driving in normal streets (60k zones) the steering wheel would be straight. Might have to convince the g.f to let me get a lockbar and see if that fixes it.

i had this problem...was quite nerve racking when it suddenly does it.

mine went away...but i am removing my hicas atm...how much of a pain in the shitter is it!!!!!

Why did nissan even put these hicas systems in in the first place. Everyone takes the bloody thing out.

Yeah i had similar problem on GTR locked the hicas and never done it since, very unsettling, and weird when you tell people and they say no that can't happen, Yeah well we know different, It can and it does.

PJ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So I've been working on the car a fair bit, doing a lot of little things. Preparing some projects for this winter, as I'm taking 13 weeks off very soon for parental leave. Have my second kid on the way and he's due any week now. I'll need something to do while he's sleeping. I also usually take the car off the road in about a month and a half, until sometime around the end of March.  Still making slight adjustments to my tune, as the cold weather settles in. I've also had to start dropping boost and tire pressure as the weather gets cooler. It's getting very swirly at highway speeds. I drop to 20psi at 20C and 18psi spring pressure at 10C IAT's. I'm currently on 255 Falcon RT660's, but may look into running 275's next summer. They will fit, but barely. Might have to raise the rear a tad.  I'll start redoing my exhaust Monday, as I have the week off. I currently have an oval center muffler and cannon rear muffler. I've been told more then once from people behind me that my rear bumper is going to catch on fire one day. Seems I blow 5-10 second flames after doing a pull. No clue if that's the WMI, as I've never been able to do that before with other cars. I wanted to angle my tip down a tad so flames are pointed down and away from bumper. I also wanted to take the opportunity to reconfigure my exhaust line. I'm going to move my oval muffler to the rear with a pie cut angled tip and put in a new smaller round muffler in the center. I've rocked cannon mufflers on this car for the last few years and want to transition back the oval muffler look. I've also been looking for a stainless project to try out the new solar flux I bought. I'll post pictures on Monday, should be able to wrap that up in a day.  I'm also picking up another rear subframe this week. I wanted a second so that I could modify one with a gk tech anti squat reduction kit during the winter, and still be able to keep the car a roller so I can back it out of the garage if needed. I will also be caging it this winter. More on that later. Lastly, Speedtek still hasn't given me diddly squat. Every week for the last 4 weeks, they have been saying next week. They told me Friday to expect a shipping label that day to ship my two bad sets of ring and pinions back and nothing. There's definitely been more contact since I started destroying their company any chance I get on Facebook, but it's still just words without action.   
    • Have you done a pressure test on your intake/piping? Cleaned your IACV and Cold start valve?
    • Bit of a dump of ones I saw on my trip. I also have a heap from daikoko but that’s technically not  on the street 
    • i was thinking that the 2 wires that go to the sub from factory has some sort of preamp like you mentioned and also a lo Pass filter to get just bass. now that will only use 1 channel and that really should be all i need for a sub? if i was trying to put a set of speakers in the back i can understand cutting into the left and right speaker wires. i will try how im talking about doing it and if that is crap i will do it the way of all wires. thanks for the input guys.  
    • Challenging mig welding thin Aluminium pipe and trying to fit it in, having to bend and twist, but got there in the end. Fits really well and can easily get a socket wrench in there now to put it on/off. I'm in the middle of another project, so haven't installed the suction pipe yet. I'll post some pictures and results when i do.