SAU Community

Cheap Aftermarket Seats

CONRAD

Peeps,

I'm interested in buying a pair of those replica sports seats from JustJap or some other interstate discount performance place? Does anyone know if they are stocked anywhere here in SA?

Anyone have a pair installed, just want to find out whether the quality is alright and more so whats the size like? For all those stocky lads, do you fit into the recliners easily enough? My brother has a Bride seat in his gtir and it's midget size and I can't really squeeze in.

Usually $400-$500 for a pair seems very reasonable, though I don't think they are ADR approved, so are they a waste of money or a solid much cheaper option than geniune recaro, bride, whatever ?

blackrecarostyle-s.jpgredrecarostyle-s.jpg

Edited by CONRAD

Yeah I'd love a pair of gtr seats but I'm pretty sure 33 gtr seats still demand $1000 for a pair or something like that.

The $400 worth of coin for what looks exactly the same as a set of recaros seems very tempting.

It's just for a street car, so nice support and easy to live with is more in favour than fixed buckets.

Check out the site;

http://www.justjap.com/parts_nseats.htm

I was reading somewhere on these forums about 2 weeks ago, a topic about copy bucket seats and every1 that posted to comment about the JJR copies, said nothing but VERY good things.

edit: i might be ordering a buck seat office chair from them unless i find 1 here in adelaide :blush:

Edited by KISIN

Just be aware that while the seats are $400-$500 per pair, you will then need to have them fitted. ADR rails can demand quite a bit from what I understand and the "universal" rails they come with require quite some modification to fit. Just make sure you find out about the fitting first :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

I think it goes on what type of car you have, ie a MR2 with NO back seat could prob have a fixed back seat, BUT as in a 32 or 33 or most imports have a back seat so a reclinable seat is ok!!

In saying this there is also something about taking your back seat out and it bieng ok to have fixed back seat and possibly a harness! And i believe you can do all this and re register your car as a 2 seater and all is ok!! But don't hold me to it, someone else will shed some light on what i have just dribbled!!

I think it goes on what type of car you have, ie a MR2 with NO back seat could prob have a fixed back seat, BUT as in a 32 or 33 or most imports have a back seat so a reclinable seat is ok!!

In saying this there is also something about taking your back seat out and it bieng ok to have fixed back seat and possibly a harness! And i believe you can do all this and re register your car as a 2 seater and all is ok!! But don't hold me to it, someone else will shed some light on what i have just dribbled!!

cheers.. so no aftermarket seats are defectable?

Anything i should look for?

cheers.. so no aftermarket seats are defectable?

Anything i should look for?

I'm not gonna say they aren't, but would suggest going into Revolution Racegear on Main North Rd or Autosport on Magil Rd, they might be able to shed some better light as they sell seats, either that or ring up Regency and find out from the horses mouth!!! :rolleyes:

If you are going for aftermarket seats they have to be ADR approved and have the tag on them and so do the rails you put them on otherwise you may not get defected for them but if you do get defected and have to go through regency they will not let you pass. :D

if the seats meet ADR spec they are legal. if the rails meet ADR spec they are legal (also for insurance purposes) if you have a coupe you cannot legally have a fixed back seat as your passengers need to be able to get out of both sides.

if you have removed your back seats it's still not legally a 2 seater unless you have made it imposable to refit rear seatbelts. (welding up the bolt holes) then change your rego to say 2 seat capacity.

Edited by Naife

if the seats meet ADR spec they are legal. if the rails meet ADR spec they are legal (also for insurance purposes) if you have a coupe you cannot legally have a fixed back seat as your passengers need to be able to get out of both sides.

if you have removed your back seats it's still not legally a 2 seater unless you have made it imposable to refit rear seatbelts. (welding up the bolt holes) then change your rego to say 2 seat capacity.

Ok excellent thanks guys... so ill look for adr approved seats and rails. and make them recliable. then it wont be defectable and would pass through regancy?

Edited by Adz2332

Some info about seats and belts:

Seats

Additional or replacement seats fitted to Australian Design Rule complying vehicles manufactured on or after 1

January 1971 (ADR 3) require approval from Transport SA. Modifications to seats, such as raising or lowering,

will be considered where the strength of the seat and mountings is not affected.

Information Bulletin 11 INSTALLATION OF ADDITIONAL SEATS AND SEAT BELTS sets out the guidelines

for the installation of seats and seat belts to ADR complying vehicles and those manufactured prior to the

introduction of ADRs.

Seat Belts

Under the Road Traffic Act and Regulations seat belts were required in the drivers and one other front seating

position as from 1 July 1964. ADRs applicable to seat belts for all front seating positions became mandatory as

from 1st January 1969 and for all seating positions as from 1st January 1971.

The level of safety provided by seat belts must not be reduced. This means that seat belts must not be replaced

by belts of a lesser standard. There is no objection to seats belts of a higher standard being fitted, however, it

is recommended that Transport SA is contacted to gain advice to ensure that the belts are of the correct type and

can be correctly fitted.

Harness Type Seat Belts

For passenger vehicles manufactured on or after 1/1/69 but prior to 1/1/75 the fitting of harness belts would

only be considered on presentation of an engineering report prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer

which demonstrates continued compliance with ADR 5A - Seat Belt Anchorages.

The fitting of harness seat belts to passenger vehicles manufactured to comply with ADR 4B - Seat Belts, i.e.

manufactured on or after 1/1/75, is usually not permitted.

Some manufacturers of harness seat belts have undertaken testing to the appropriate Standards and are marked

accordingly. Appropriately Transport SA may accept marked harness seat belts in some vehicles providing the

mounting of the harness is to an acceptable standard.

So, seats are ok if they are ADR compliant and they say so, and harnesses MIGHT be ok if they apply to the relevant ADR, and they say so.

What a surprise in SA.

Edited by chops