SAU Community

Airbox Vs Pod Back To Back Testing

Scooby

Just did some back to back testing using a pair of Blitz steel mesh pods and a stock R32 GTR airbox with paper element filter.

Car pulled 268 rwkw on 10 psi with pods. Fitted airbox and dropped 40 rwkw. Took bottom off airbox and taped panel filter in place, back up to 268 rwkw.

I was a firm believer in using the stock box and panel filter but clearly above certain power levels it has limitations. Just my 2c into the stock airbox vs pods debate.

Cheers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inlet to the side of the box is actually blocked off(r33 gtr box). It is a resonator. You can pull the end of the resonator off so air goes direcly into the box from the inner guard. u get a slight induction noise too lol

ps anyone wanna give me a guide on how to install a ebc on a rb26?? some say u just unhook the factory solenoid and plug it into the ebc solenoid?? i thoiught u would need to do it on the wastegate side??

bonnet down on those tests?

If not , we aren't anywhere.

no, bonnet open. i don't agree that we aren't anywhere. i think we can categorically state that the stock airbox will inhibit power due to the size of the orifice in the bottom half - bonnet up or down - but clearly the panel filter (tested up to those power levels) has the capacity to flow sufficient air if fed correctly.

i know there's a lot more to the issues of airflow and under bonnet dynamics but this shows conclusively that the bottom half of the box can't flow sufficient air.

i'm not suggesting that this is the be all and end all of tests, but it does tell us some things for sure. got to start somewhere, suffice to say i was happy with the outcome as i now know more than i did.

Edited by Scooby

no, bonnet open. i don't agree that we aren't anywhere. i think we can categorically state that the stock airbox will inhibit power due to the size of the orifice in the bottom half - bonnet up or down - but clearly the panel filter (tested up to those power levels) has the capacity to flow sufficient air if fed correctly.

i know there's a lot more to the issues of airflow and under bonnet dynamics but this shows conclusively that the bottom half of the box can't flow sufficient air.

i'm not suggesting that this is the be all and end all of tests, but it does tell us some things for sure. got to start somewhere, suffice to say i was happy with the outcome as i now know more than i did.

yes..

but

bonnet up with open to air pod filters will obviously breath better than a sealed box with a small intake.

bonnet down would have shown different results on the pod filters I'd say..

especially say after 2 WOT runs.

I strongly disagree that at those power figures that the bonnet open or closed would heavily influence pods at all unless heat was a serious issue, and ACT is still cold. Ther is plenty of available air around the headlight. Clearly the 32 box is a restriction but with modification, say a 90mm water pipe flange and a pipe through the inner guard 33 GTR style it would be more than adequate for most track applications.

Some pics for Duncan.

33GTR front and 32 rear

IMG_0490.jpg

33 GTR

IMG_0489.jpg

32GTR

IMG_0488.jpg

33GTR

IMG_0487.jpg

My custom box prototype on the track car using the std air filter and an internal bellmouth from the HKS pod on the inside top (the only good part of a HKS filter). It's a tight fit around the filter so the tape is only to hold it in position and the afm is mounted directly to the top. The from bar is intended to have slots to help feed it.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

It's all good mate, I majored in aerodynamics at the one uni in the country with a Mach 3 wind tunnel or what we call a shock tunnel, amongst other useful stuff.

While a simple approach would be to say that at least an extra 40rwkw would be available given Marks experience above, it depends on what the turbos are able to push, mass flow wise in Marcus' case. I forget your setup mate, but a fair guess would be a bit is available at that flow rate. Negative boost theories are all well and good but turbos have one simple role and that is to drag air in and compress it for delivery to the combustion chambers so it overcomes many restrictions, up to a point.

Mark, having a think about this and were any of the turbo inlet hoses constricting? If the restriction to the inlet was enough there may be some cross sectional reduction in the inlets between afm and turbo which is a sure way for the restriction to increase so limiting flow. If hard pipes were used, for example, then they would resist the negative pressure and allow the flow to continue. So just a thought.