SAU Community

Blocking Off Pipe On Rocker Cover

sam5709

hey guys,

im just in the process of upgrading to an ITS turbo and while i am at it im going to get a s/s custom made intake pipe made up,

the guy i was talking to said that we can just block of the piping that goes from a nipple of the rocker covers to the intake pipe,

just wondering what that will do, he says its not really needed but i just wanna make sure

the pipe runs from the circled nipple thingy to the intake pipe just before the turbo

sam

Picture0071.jpg

don't block it. your dipstick will shoot out of its hole and spray oil everywhere. its your oil breather and needs to be vented, either back into the intake, an oil catch can, or just with a filter attachment.

thats what i was just thinking

just like one of those lil mini pod looking things

yes you can, but that just yells out to police to defect you, as that is an EPA issue to vent it to atmosphere (yes same with catch cans venting to the atmosphere - only they are usually less obvious)

Dont run the filters directly on the breathers!!! I did that and at the drag strip it pumped oil out of it all over the exhaust manifold, turbo etc (remember RBs fill the rocker covers up with oil with sustained high revs)

Im damn lucky I didnt have a fire on my hands

Guys,

you really need to understand what is happening with engine breathing before even considering messing with the breather lines. So many people still get it wrong and it's not hard.

If you install a vented catch can and don't block the pcv valve off as well you introduce a vacuum leak and the car will run like shit at idle and when in vacuum as the pcv valve is open and sucking air straight into the plenum via the can. If you block where you have shown then the car will be fine at idle and in vacuum as the pcv valve still works, but get into boost and you pressurize the sump and blow the dip stick out and coat the engine bay with oil.

What wazR32 has stated is the only legal (and non smelly) way to do it, that won't result in a pressurized sump.

And a healthy rb25 will not pump it's oil out at sustained high revs. I have taken my catch can off as it was still dry after 2 track days, i have run no catch can (breather plugged straight back into the intake as per factory) at the last 2 track days with no issues. my intake pipe is still clean. Different story with built engine and N1 pump.

• 2 weeks later...
OK my hose is missing too.

I liked the idea of the filter but you guys say its a defect.

Where exactly does the hose plumb into? The intake? Before/After the turbo?

the vertical pipe loops over to a metal pipe that runs to the turbo inlet pipe just before the turbo

so

intake? = yes

Before/after the turbo = before