SAU Community

R32 Ls1 Conversion

BezerkR32

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh lol. would have loved it, but sounds like a not so amatuerish event anymore, but cant miss F1.

Boz's track day is my goal.

yeah a net is all you need, and only on the drivers window.

hope its coming along ok....I think you might miss superlap...

Back from F1 and all syched to get this car going.

Up at the exhaust shop today, half was already done. I mounted the shielding

and the mounting brackets while Pottsy finished the last bend and started on the mounts.

Just the tips to go, some paint then all done. There was some cranky Chevs down at Melbourne.

Got the blood pumping.

post-20078-1238498826_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1238498901_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1238498968_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1238499016_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1238499084_thumb.jpg

Do the pipes join in that middle bend? i.e. exhaust gasses from each bank meet? or do they just meet and touch foreskins?

and Dick, get in line :sick:

it's an x-pipe. gas can flow between the two banks. :laugh:

Yeh its a pretty common thing these days. Its for balance Jas. and yeh they sound shit without them. The guy who designed the mufflers also gave me dimentions for the merged area in the X pipe and the reducer behind the collectors.

All these dimensions came from some software programme he had after entering some engine specs, ie bore, stroke, comp, estimated peak rpm, cam specs etc. the 2 1/2" reducer behind the collector eliminates the doughy dead spot you sometimes get down low by speading up the gas flow again as it cools resulting in scavenging the dead gas out of the cylinders leaving area for the new air fuel mixture to enter.

Sounds like i know what im talking about hey, but the scavenging thing was explained to me today in a way that i understood. It is also said that the area of the X pipe controlls the torque band. Its all a bit more complicated in a atmo engine thats for sure. But all these things combined are supposed to make for a good efficient system.

Pottsy put a tube in as to measure back pressure, appatently anything over 1.5psi at 5000rpm is getting excessive and can result in power loss.

He also decided that two 3" outlets on each side will look trick so just waiting for some collectors and it will be done.

Fuel rails are well under way also, have managed to find 15mm. Just hope its enough.

My clubbie runs an X-pipe system too

yeh i did see that, i hope its ready but thats only a month away, im waiting for my membership stuff to come back and then ill send off for the cams license. Ill give it a good shake but might be a late enterant.

looks good stu. SAU trackday is the place to debut it....plenty of laps to be had and no pressure

this build is so cool, love it... can't wait to hear that thing chugging away, and the looks on people faces when a 32 rolls past with a monster V8 burble... the exhaust and intake are giving me the 'orn!

you will post some video once its running... pretty please!

finally figured out the sway bar issue after some lenghty phone calls by the Auto 1 boys to Whiteline and red-Ranger and found a VL commodore turbo brace is the one to use. just have to make end plates and reverse the way it runs so across the front of the engine instead of around the back.

post-20078-1239018042_thumb.jpg

dont you love public holidays. Got a bit done, fabricated strut brace end-plates, painted them and mounted the brace. Also port matched the intake manifold and bolted it down for good.

Ill try to get a bit more done this week-end.

post-20078-1239350582_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1239350641_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1239350696_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1239350748_thumb.jpg