SAU Community

Rb25det Upgrade

Hey guys, I have a fairly stock r33 series 1.5 and i think my turbo is dying, makes a noise when cold at about 1500rpm. anyways i want to upgrade to a ball bearing turbo. am thinking garrett, i want one about the same size as stock only so i don't lose the low end response. I don't want to have to wait later in the rev range to pick up. anyone got particular models in mind? I don't want to have to do many mods either. any help with this would be great. also if anyone can tell me exactly what the flanges are on a standard setup would be great.

Thanks guys

Lloyd

depending on how much power your wanting, what your going to be doing with it, and how far your wanting to go with it?

a turbo that will bolt straight up to your std manifold and dump is going to be a ball bearing hi-flow r33 turbo, which GCG can do for the cost around 1750.. which retains same spool time if not quicker and capable of 270rwkw.

considering what boost you will be running, i would consider lifting some of those restrictions, such as dump and exhaust system if you haven't already done that.

after that would be a decent front mount intercooler, and an electronic boost controller to help keep boost levels under control.

That will most probably entertain you for a while, then its onto a aftermarket ecu, (upgrade AFM, but will depend on what ECU you get as some have inbuilt MAP sensors, which you want need a AFM anymore). Then fuel pump, injectors, BOV. You will most probably be capable of the turbos limit at that stage, and close to your engines safe limit aswell, depending on your tuner.

those mods listed will be an easy 5 grand, so i hope your mechanically minded, or willing to have a crack at doing some of teh mods yourself as it will save alot of money for someone else doing it for you. Also will give you an understanding of everything, and if you encounter problems you will be able to determine what it will be, or more of an indea anyway.

Anyway alot of reading for you to do, most enquiries will be available through the search button, as they would have been answered to death already.

To give you an idea, i remember starting where you are, i wasn't planning on going to far with it as i though it was fast to start with (i had a gemini for a first car).

i got hooked i now have 240rwkw, am currently rebuilding an engine and have already spent 14 grand plus on my car.

Seeing as your car is fairly stock you will be up for some big dollars if you go for a bigger or even a highflow turbo.As you will need to upgrade other things for the new turbo and engine to work properly.

So if you dont want to upgrade your cooler,dump pipe,boost controller,ECU and injectors i would advise you either source a second hand turbo or rebuild your stock one.