SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

i heard redline shockproof for jap cars is rubbish

yep as i have said befor it stuffs the syincros (spelling) i know 2 people that put it in when i told them not to and both their gear boxes blew

There are many who claim the same.

General comments are : it quietened down my box or improved gear selection but ultimatly the box shat its self and the mechanic said dont use redline.

I have not used it so I dont speak from personal experience.

yes it does quieten it down when the box is almost stuffed anyway but its just a bandaid and it will go

yep as i have said befor it stuffs the syincros (spelling) i know 2 people that put it in when i told them not to and both their gear boxes blew

yes it does quieten it down when the box is almost stuffed anyway but its just a bandaid and it will go

Ok, so your mechanical experience tells you this or you just going by what people have told you. It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the history of the box or the way the box was treated would it?

Edited by Ryanrb25

Ok, so your mechanical experience tells you this or you just going by what people have told you. It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the history of the box or the way the box was treated would it?

Shes right, even if she might have heard it on the grapevine. Certainly the age and abuse of the box come into play, there is no question of that, however theres also no question that the shockproof crap destroys synchros. My mechanic (who is different to Kellies mechanic incidentally) said the exact same thing when I took it to him for the first trans service after I bought the car. He drained it and put in conventional oil (aka not the blue shit) which made the synchro issues more noticable. Basically the redline stuff cushions the blow when the synchros dont mesh. You feel it more while you have conventional oil because it has a different viscosity and density. When you have the shockproof stuff, its still doing the damage, u just dont feel it.

There was even a notice on the redline website for a time which advised NOT using shockproof on any synchromesh gearbox. Its pretty much meant for dogboxes (not sure about straight cut boxes).

In either case, my box is shagged. I'll be getting a replacement 33gtr S2 box but I sure as hell won't be using anything that looks like smurf diarrhea to lubricate it...

-D

I'm just sick of alot of people puttin in their 20cents worth without any clue wtf their talkin about...

Helping for the sake of helping, It's not helping if it's incorrect information..could cost someone an arm and a leg.

This is not directed at the REDLINE argument lol

7 Litres! lol

Edited by Ryanrb25

I'm just sick of alot of people puttin in their 20cents worth without any clue wtf their talkin about...

Helping for the sake of helping, It's not helping if it's incorrect information..could cost someone an arm and a leg.

This is not directed at the REDLINE argument lol

7 Litres! lol

AGREED!!!! I bet 50% of the people on here havent even got their hands dirty once while working on a car..... and go by what the twit at their local autobarn (who also has no idea about cars) advises to use... then further along that word gets passed along to more unsuspecting and out the know people as gospel...

WE WANNA SEE PROOF PEOPLE!!!!!

Sorry bout ya car craig :) know ya loved that thing, but like steve said, good thing nothing like that happened when it was yours - but then again you prob wouldnt of been driving like a dickhead like he was. Ahhh well.

Did you get awesomely drunk last night? bahaha :banana:

So in other words it doesn't damage your box any more than conventional lubricants, it just stops you from hearing your damaged box.

I'm not sure about that; for a definitive answer I'd have to run scientific tests, requiring brand new boxes and a sampling distribution of at least a dozen cars ;P

However I wonder if the viscosity and pressure differences might prevent the synchro from aligning correctly and then causing the problem. The main thing I see as being a downside with a synchro crunch you cant feel is that u cant adjust your shifting to compensate (ie meaty fist vs letting the gears slide in). On an 18 year old box like mine, theres no definitive answer but I really do trust my mechanics word.

-D

Generally excessive pressures can cause pitting to increase in alot of cases, Thicker oils tightens tolerances etc...I'm no expert but a car gearbox gets jerked back and forth alot which you'd think a thicker oil would stop alot of shock value in the backlash. But at the same time, The thicker oil, wouldn't create a higher pressure between the gears creating an increase in pitting/wear etc..At the end of the day, the harder you smash gears, the more power you place through a box the higher the pressure, the more wear anyway. Nothing stops age and wear and tear destroying a box, It's self distructing from day 1 as the case hardening slowly wears through into the gears. Most of the boxes we use, the damage has been done.

I hope that made any sense at all

Edited by Ryanrb25

well, i got a msg from damo friday arvo, pretty much telling me he seen

a 33 very similar to my old one, on the back of a tow truck, in bad shape....

so

i msged the young fella that bought it, and asked how its going blah blah and i got spares for it blah blah

no reply :banana:

and last night, got a phone call from my mate, telling me he seen a black 33 on the back of a truck

on friday night, all smashed up, badly, amd he is 99% sure it was my old one :)

what a dick head.

im pretty devo, but oh wells. i still got the money from it atleast.

I dunno man, it looked like yours, but definately had Koya rims, im 100% on that.

I hope that made any sense at all

Yeah it made perfect sense. I suppose thats why if you have shockproof and you shift like a ham fisted git then you might have some problems.... but if u drive it normally, maybe it'll be fine? Not sure eh... we need 10 people to get rebuilds and volunteer so we can test the theory (and write this clause where we both dont pay for damages haha)

-D