SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

It's just a bit of a joke Karl ....

But since you bring it up, since the unions have constantly pushed up minimum wage and holiday/penalty/leave conditions, businesses in Aus have to sell their products for significantly more than competing countries can produce and sell them. What, would you have them shut down international trade and make us pay double the price for everything, just to keep the unskilled workers in booze, smokes and LCD TVs? :P

Apart from all that, if they restricted import goods, then the countries in return would not buy our raw materials/wool/grain, then Aus would be bankrupt in 5 seconds flat.

hahaha that is so damn true

international trade is so important but then again places like China and India get away with paying their works f**k all whereas in Australia there is a minimum pay agreement etc etc

$220 on a JJR dump front pipe stainless steel, 4yrs ago now

perfect perfect condition

was coked full of fresh burnt powdery oil residue, so I poured 100ml kerosene in both ends of the pipe and whola. clean and new

:P

but I need a 24mm socket

!!!

Id rather learn the basics first so i can grasp the concepts. The field of IT is where i wanna go, but i dont know in which particular direction.

nothing wrong there mate, its a very good start point. I'm doing that exact same course right now, part time, for my own pd - i currently have no IT qualifications, but i do have experience - so i thought i'd have to back up and start somewhere!

The subjects covered are labelled as basic (being at the Cert III level), but trust me, you'll learn a hell of a lot of things you dont know. I've been able to get recognition for a few of the subjects as i've worked in IT help desk areas before (and still technically do), but i'm sitting in on most of the subjects like 3NWS and 3NWA2 (novell) etc. It's good knowledge.

The completion of that qualification can definitely help in landing a helpdesk / tech support type job.

Thanks Luke! Sounds like im pretty much in the same boat as you, bar me actually having an IT job, i just do random IT stuff at work because the helpdesk is located in Syd.

Id rather learn the basics first so i can grasp the concepts. The field of IT is where i wanna go, but i dont know in which particular direction.

Then don't waste time on a cert 3 of anything. Do the standard tafe Diploma of IT... cert3 only runs part time for 6 months and you'll learn bugger all. When I was in tafe, I was correcting the network lecturer on the OSI model and stuff he should have known off by heart. Ultimately, Tafe was a waste of time for me (I went for the Adv. Diploma) but it got me into a helpdesk job like Luciano says - however you have to understand that IT Helpdesk/Call centre support is the anus of IT work. The conditions are crap, theres a lot of stress involved for most people and the pay is abysmal. Expect around $12-13 per hour as a permanent part timer. NB People in IT helpdesk call centres rarely get paid the award rate for call centres because they're technically classified as Office Clerks.

-D

We need to keep that money here in Australia. You can keep the money in Australia by spending it at garage sales, going to a cricket match or footy game, or spend it on prostitutes, beer and wine (domestic ONLY), or tattoos, since those are the only businesses that may still be owned by Aussies.

Cool. So I'm doing my part in helping the Australian economy :P

but I need a 24mm socket

!!!

So what are you trying to say? You need a 24mm socket??? :)

I've got one you can borrow if you wanna drive up for it ... or wait until Friday night?

It's just a bit of a joke Karl ....

But since you bring it up, since the unions have constantly pushed up minimum wage and holiday/penalty/leave conditions, businesses in Aus have to sell their products for significantly more than competing countries can produce and sell them. What, would you have them shut down international trade and make us pay double the price for everything, just to keep the unskilled workers in booze, smokes and LCD TVs? :)

Apart from all that, if they restricted import goods, then the countries in return would not buy our raw materials/wool/grain, then Aus would be bankrupt in 5 seconds flat.

Yes i agree with you there. A good example is the UAW in north america. They get paid waaay too much money for unskilled labour and cannot compete with even Toyota's made in america. Same thing here, some year 9 graduate at elizabeth can make 60k + a year putting a few bolts a commodore.

I personally don't like unions for these very reasons.

I agree with you to an extent that the stimulas package is not a long term strategy as it only has short term effects, but i don't think helping what are obviously unprofitable small business' is the solution either.

I like what the german government is doing and that is nothing. They are refusing to bail out banks and what not. ride the wave baby.

yeah not sure where you live Tangles but I've also got pretty much any tool you can think of if you're south of the CBD

SLED even has Tom Koutsantonis in the bottom draw of his tool chest.

sigh. this is becoming annoying. theyre saying they dont offer refunds and that the dump pipe is exactly as described on their website. they are however offering to send new studs. which sort of conflicts with them saying its exactly as it appears on their website. really was hoping not to bust out the crappy pictures and the trade act. makes me seem like an asshole.

SLED even has Tom Koutsantonis in the bottom draw of his tool chest.

LOL

cheers

found $20 in coins lol so going to pop down to an auto store to grab one

cheers anyways

yeah Im down morphett vale way 5162 so a bit of a drive, my cars out of commission and the wifes car is too small to drive comfy and safe when Im in pain like today

tis all good

oi, if anyone ever offers to takeout your kneecaps fkn run man, kick em in the nuts and hoik the fk outa there !

sent them another message with photos of the dodginess, again referred to the studs not fitting (even if it is a cheap fix), both faults i could not have known about, and was not informed about at the time of order, and referred to the trade act. i daresay im going to get a rather frustrated message in response.

apparently this;

IMG_2151.jpg

is fine, cant see anything at all wrong with it. f**k it. im gonna get some studs that fit it, and flog it. not worth my time anymore. suffice to say i wont be dealing with GKtech again.

Edited by scandyflick

is fine, cant see anything at all wrong with it. f**k it. im gonna get some studs that fit it, and flog it. not worth my time anymore. suffice to say i wont be dealing with GKtech again.

I'm no mechanic, but even I can see that its a shit job. Blatantly shithouse. If they wanna come back to u with something negative, threaten small claims court. It'll cost them more to fight it than to replace the unit.

-D

unfortunately its what usually happens scandy, they never wanna hear customer rights etc.

small claims is about the only move you can do, and yea that pipe looks like ass

Edited by Inline 6

Dave if they don't come to party (even with a demand for refund) then they've pretty much outted themselves in a public forum.......wouldn't be the smartest move on their behalf for the sake of a bit of postage.

No offence damo, but tafe doesnt teach you anything relevant... I know, I went there once :)

If you want to get into Networking, you're better off going with a microsoft MCP or a cisco CCNP/CCNA or maybe even a RHCE...

Depending on your direction, you'll want to either go for networking alone or development. Theyre mutually exclusive (unless you like to code network stacks...)

-D

Tafe cert 3 is a waste, Ben and I had this discussion a few weeks ago,,, the IT market in Adelaide is saturated which drives the pay down, but hey if you want a job, EDS helpdesk will hire you... they will hire anyone with a heartbeat and can turn on a PC..lol

get a real IT certificate as Ben mentioned and experience if you want a good IT job, after a long time in the industry I've seen it really good and bad times. if your planning on multimedia you should have done it now,, but dont expect to get a job in town Damo , the market for that is dead flat and declining fast ,, unless you can" HAND "code flash AS ,silverlight,CSS, Java, etc you wont find anything here. even the goverment outlook predictions are in decline. most workand decent pay for that is in the East states. if you havent noticed "everyone" is in IT..lol but unless you have a lot of experience and manufacture cert. you wont make a decent wage in town. lots of people make more waiting on tables then IT. and wanna be mutimedia authors are plentiful.

a few good jobs exist in IT, mostly working out on military projects in the dirty north.

too many kids will work in IT for 25k in this town..lol when before they would command 45k + which is still lousy pay for how much you have to know

better off to be a plumber, electrical,geo eng. cop, lawyer, anything medical

I did a fair bit of research on the different dump/front pipes and everything I read suggested that any of the chinese 'HKS' knock offs were shithouse and just not worth it. Then there's the JJR, CES, Advance Headers and AM Performance types.

This forum is full of JJR reports with some reports better than others, CES good reports but expensive, can't find anything from anyone about the Advance (sold by Sinergy) and then the AM has good reports and is reasonably priced and he does discount on a 200 cell hi flow cat if you buy the dump/front. So for me I'm going to go the AM split dump/front + cat as soon as my mrs has forgotten about the $2K I spent on wheels.....

Hrmm... how about these??

however you have to understand that IT Helpdesk/Call centre support is the anus of IT work.

NB People in IT helpdesk call centres rarely get paid the award rate for call centres because they're technically classified as Office Clerks.

-D

Thats true Ben.

I used to be an office clerk/admin worker doing finance and procurement work- working for the same state gov dept that i am in now.

I landed a job in the IT area as I was a known user with a sort of advanced skill set in computing - was then approached by my department's IT infrastructure & support manager to fill in for someone on the help desk; I basically started from there.

Level 1 help desk officers in state gov are mostly ASO3, but some are even ASO2 - very average salaries!

you gotta start somewhere!