SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

dammit, mod on 31 forums thought he'd be cool and shutdown the forums today and a april fools prank...

just thought id give an update bout my over sized internetz yo' bill....

yup, apparrently i downloaded nearly 20 gig,

the way i was keeping track of it, is ''outdated'' as i have the ''old modem'' (words of indian/asian from optus)

so...therefore, on the 26/3/09 when i checked my usage (last day of billing cycle) it said 6 gb downloaded, it was in fact nearly 20.

they failed to tell me about this, my download speed didnt even slow down!

do i have a leg to stand on here? may to get the bill reduced? pete? anyone? question mark??

the way i was keeping track of it, is ''outdated'' as i have the ''old modem'' (words of indian/asian from optus)

so...therefore, on the 26/3/09 when i checked my usage (last day of billing cycle) it said 6 gb downloaded, it was in fact nearly 20.

do i have a leg to stand on here? may to get the bill reduced? pete? anyone? question mark??

Bend over and use lots of vaseline! :D

Tracy use to work for the Optus complaints dept (for people like you) and there's not much you can do sorry. :D

Absolutely. If the AUP was not working then its grounds for a reduction - providing that there is no clause in the terms and conditions which waive liability if the meter isnt working properly...

I'd call the telecoms ombudsman - they handle broadband complaints. tell them that you checked on the last day of the billing cycle and that it reported 6gb and not 20. If optus has changed the way the meter works/have broken the traffic accounting system without notifying you or providing a viable alternative then they have no option but to refund the difference. You'll still have to pay the excess 1GB naturally but with enough kicking and complaining I think you have a good leg to stand on here, especially if they provided the modem (im assuming you're checking the download usage by your modems inbuilt meter rather than a website on optus?)

regarding slowdowns - either you get a capped limit and anything over is free but on dialup speeds, or you get full download speed and any excess is charged on a per megabyte rate - its one or the other and you'd be best off clarifying exactly what here, because its one or the other.

-D

its there fuukin fault really for giving me a device that misleads usage!

haha, they even said if i wasnt happy with the service, i could pay another grand and cut the contract early by 7 months....

fuuk you optus.

yeah ben, i check usage on the stats tab (from the modem)

they said since the new modem has been released, the old one (mine) doesnt count correctly.

Well then they're up shit creek for not a) supplying you with a modem and b) notifying you of the change.

You'll win. Easy.

-D

the ombudsman agrees, i have to call optus, and request a stop credit management.

i have to pay 49.98 (usual bill) and optus has 10 days to respond to the TIO in regards to the 1003.98

the ombudsman agrees, i have to call optus, and request a stop credit management.

i have to pay 49.98 (usual bill) and optus has 10 days to respond to the TIO in regards to the 1003.98

Good work! Its amazing how many times these arsehole internet providers try and shaft you. Always the big guys like Optus and Telstra (telecoms companies providing internet as a service)... I can guarantee you that Adam and Internode wouldn't pull that nonsense (Adam and Internode being primarily internet providers and not massive corporations trying to get more for their shareholders)...

I think Optus will argue that since your modem showed 6 gig out of the 5 gig limit that they're entitled to an additional $150 - this might be the only problem you'll have, but even still $200 is much better than $1100 - if you can get away with $50 only then that'd be ideal..

In the meantime, I'd advise everyone out there (in SA at least) to switch to either Adam or Internode - you'll get one hell of a better deal.

-D

cheers for the advive there Ben, much appreciated!

my mate is with internode, after his download limit, his speed is cut down, and DOESNT get charged for over use.

guess where ill be taking my custom soon.

i dont mind paying 200 bucks, fair nuff, but over $1000 for 1 month internet? c'mon, get real.