SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

Speaking of cleaned up, I nearly hit some f**khead on a bike today. Was driving my brothers vitara and was in a slip lane to do a right hand turn into a sidestreet. Was on northeast road and the traffic was backed up and the two lanes of cars had stopped to allow room for the turn across the traffic. Anyhow, I'm turning in and this the sphincter of the universe flies past at around 50-60 and screams obscenities at me while I tap the brakes just enough to miss him, as he flies past. You'd think that cyclists exercise a little bit more caution, considering the bike lane is completely blind when the traffic is banked up (and the fact that the traffic was banked up for a good couple KM and the sensible drivers had left room for people to turn...

Is it just me, or are all cyclists total wankers?

-D

I'm with you there Ben and especially, as Talbo said, the 2+ abreast riders that have no concern for their own safety..........unfortunately, if you were stationary in the middle of the road, turning right into a side street, and he in fact was going straight in a designated bike lane (not splitting lanes), guess who had 100% right of way?

I'm with you there Ben and especially, as Talbo said, the 2+ abreast riders that have no concern for their own safety..........unfortunately, if you were stationary in the middle of the road, turning right into a side street, and he in fact was going straight in a designated bike lane (not splitting lanes), guess who had 100% right of way?

Neither. Transport SA was quite clear on this.

He can argue that he has right of way due to the fact that he was going straight and that I was bisecting that lane however ;

a) He was not exercising due care - zooming past stopped traffic at 50 kph is not safe - you would hope that a cyclist would exercise caution considering they dont have two lanes of traffic running alongside them - effectively shielding them from having to exercise caution when they go past a sidestreet

b) He was not appropriately visible - therefore not my problem.

Having considered this, I actually do wish I'd hit the twat, especially after the mouthful of abuse - If you don't want to get hit, slow the F*&K down.

Bloody HOON cyclists.

-D

lol Ben, I've got a blast from the past for you....remember any of these places:

Countdown (end of Hindley st)

Bo Jangles

After Dark Club

These are the ones i remember....even when the morphy was a dance club....went to the last blast there with my missus and a few mates...my missus got drunk and entered the wet t shirt comp...soooo proud :P

The tivoli...(or titoli) we called it......the gothic...etc etc

In those days my band used to play the Tivoli, Austral, Exeter, Office, Cartoons (The Venue).

The goth joint of choice (for the music only though) was the Proscenium or something like that off of Hindley...... :P

He can argue that he has right of way due to the fact that he was going straight and that I was bisecting that lane however ;

a) He was not exercising due care - zooming past stopped traffic at 50 kph is not safe - you would hope that a cyclist would exercise caution considering they dont have two lanes of traffic running alongside them - effectively shielding them from having to exercise caution when they go past a sidestreet

Having considered this, I actually do wish I'd hit the twat, especially after the mouthful of abuse - If you don't want to get hit, slow the F*&K down.

Bloody HOON cyclists.

-D

i dont bother giving way to cyclists, especially wanker ones that think they can pull out in front of traffic. the way i see it, i pay rego to use the road, they dont, so they must always give way to paying road users.

Edited by steveP

HAHAHAHA...cartoons!!! i remember that place....we played a gig at "Monroes"....then it changed its name to "at the beach"...used to be a club on beach road christies beach.....mind you i remember going to see Noiseworks play at the collonades tavern beer garden....now THAT was ages ago

Bloody HOON cyclists.

-D

He definitely should've excercised due care but not because he has to by law but moreso for his own safety.......everyone on 2 wheels should or they shouldn't be on the road.

He however, was travelling straight on a priority road and in a designated bike lane, and no doubt some insurance company may try to spin doctor their way into trying to lay 20% or so blame his way just for being there but if he stood his ground and went to court, the judge would say that by bisecting a priority road (entering or leaving), you are bound by law to excercise due care, not him.

Insurance companies are into % of blame......judges aren't.

Probably a good thing you didn't hit him cause it would get very messy if you both decided to stand your ground.

I've ridden push bikes most of my life. I still ride my mountain bike recreationally from time to time (I was a big dedicated rider as part of my training program many years ago) and some mates ride in competitions. However, I f**king hate those wankers that ride without due care. Cyclists who put themselves into a dangerous position with their "give way to me" attitude! Why would you committ ignorant suicide like that?

Hell, at lunchtime today I saw a cyclist riding thru the city down King William St hogging an entire lane ... without his helmet strap done up! :) It works better when you put it on properly sunshine!

At the same time, I've seen, and been the victim of, some awful drivers who have no regard for cyclists on our roads. Any driver who thinks cyclists shouldn't be there are selfish and ignorant. You pay to have a "motorised vehicle" registered for the road ... doesn't mean you own it! A cyclist has every right to be on the road too. They're not motorised (and shouldn't be) and are entitled to "share the road". What next? Pedestrians aren't allowed to cross the road?

I would particularly like to see a crackdown on those twats that drive their cars in the bike lane, and also those who ride pushbikes fitted with motors ... including those gay powered half-bikes-half-scooter. If they're fitted with a motor, they should be registered. I've got a few pitbike riders around my area who scream around the neighbourhood late at night. One was hit by a car last week. Black pitbike, black clothing, no lights ... gee wonder how that happened? Matty can I borrow the 4WD? :O

Get ya motorcycle license ya lazy pricks! Doing it halfway is just gay :D

Saw justice on Monday down Tapleys when some silly (feral) woman on a motorised bike screamed down the left hand side of slow moving traffic, in the wet, and pouring with rain, and ploughed into a car making a left hand turn. Thats why the law is there to overtake on the right Princess, and drive with due care to the conditions. Funny as watching her take the spill, and go off despite her injuries. More shaken up than anything. Even the 10yo lad thought it was hilarious! Feel sorry for the Falcon owner tho ... car looked brand new. :D

Edited by RubyRS4

He definitely should've excercised due care but not because he has to by law but moreso for his own safety.......everyone on 2 wheels should or they shouldn't be on the road.

He however, was travelling straight on a priority road and in a designated bike lane, and no doubt some insurance company may try to spin doctor their way into trying to lay 20% or so blame his way just for being there but if he stood his ground and went to court, the judge would say that by bisecting a priority road (entering or leaving), you are bound by law to excercise due care, not him.

Insurance companies are into % of blame......judges aren't.

Probably a good thing you didn't hit him cause it would get very messy if you both decided to stand your ground.

Just rang holden hill. They said in such a situation I'd really only be in any trouble if I left the scene.... in spite of the car bisecting the road, the cyclist does have a duty of care to his own person and as such needs to exercise caution when riding, even when in a bike lane. Bloke said that in that situation theres really nothing definitive either way, and he said that if it got in front of a magistrate it would most likely be argued 50/50 at fault...

Like u said Pete, it'd have been messy in court but tbh it makes me wonder if they considered such a scenario when making the bike lane - maybe if they put stripes in the bike lane wherever the sidestreets meet, but then again that might just lead to another sense of false security...

-D