SAU Community

Coolant For R33 Gtst

dnbutts

I plan on using either Nulon radiator treatment (non-glycol) or Redline Water Wetter. These are both corrosion inhibitors/surfactants. About 500ml treats 10L and they contain NO GLYCOL. This is a good thing for Australia.

These are NOT glycol coolants. I would imagine that the recommended coolant for Japan (which would contain Glycol around 20% to 50%) is not what they would recommend for Australia.

IF you use a glycol based coolant then the cooling system does not work as well as if you use water with a corrosion inhibitor/surfactant. The gylcol is in there to reduce the freezing point of the coolant. This is very important to freezing climates as if your coolant freezes you can be in all sorts of trouble due to the expansion of water. The gylcol does however decrease the ability of your system to get rid of heat due to the much lower heat capacity of glycol. (Down to half the heat capacity of water) I think this is relavent for Australia - especially QLD in the summer with A/C on in traffic.

For motorsport and fast road cars in a climate that does not experience freezing conditions I would use only water with an inhibitor/surfactant additive. This will provide better cooling that a glycol coolant. The surfactants are there to allow greater surface contact near hot surfaces of the head that may get bubbles forming - the surfactant decreases the size of these bubbles and allow graeter contact between water and the hot surface (I'm unsure if this happens in Skylines but you'd think it likely if you run higher than standard boost- and who doesn't!)

Also if you have an aluminium radiator (the replacement ones ARE aluminium usually) then you need to make sure your coolant/inhibitor/whatever is good for aluminium as it has much higher corrosion that the original radiator)

It is up to you however, if you live south of Sydney perhaps coolant is ideal for you. But it is not recommended for the track or high temp street driving/modified engines. Just make sure you use distilled water and corrosion inhibitor that is suitable for your type of radiator.

Ohhh yeah, and do bleed the system while running- the bleed screw is the one in front of the plenum that says "do not open while hot", so open it when it's cold.

Edited by simpletool

I plan on using either Nulon radiator treatment (non-glycol) or Redline Water Wetter. These are both corrosion inhibitors/surfactants. About 500ml treats 10L and they contain NO GLYCOL. This is a good thing for Australia.

These are NOT glycol coolants. I would imagine that the recommended coolant for Japan (which would contain Glycol around 20% to 50%) is not what they would recommend for Australia.

IF you use a glycol based coolant then the cooling system does not work as well as if you use water with a corrosion inhibitor/surfactant. The gylcol is in there to reduce the freezing point of the coolant. This is very important to freezing climates as if your coolant freezes you can be in all sorts of trouble due to the expansion of water. The gylcol does however decrease the ability of your system to get rid of heat due to the much lower heat capacity of glycol. (Down to half the heat capacity of water) I think this is relavent for Australia - especially QLD in the summer with A/C on in traffic.

For motorsport and fast road cars in a climate that does not experience freezing conditions I would use only water with an inhibitor/surfactant additive. This will provide better cooling that a glycol coolant. The surfactants are there to allow greater surface contact near hot surfaces of the head that may get bubbles forming - the surfactant decreases the size of these bubbles and allow graeter contact between water and the hot surface (I'm unsure if this happens in Skylines but you'd think it likely if you run higher than standard boost- and who doesn't!)

Also if you have an aluminium radiator (the replacement ones ARE aluminium usually) then you need to make sure your coolant/inhibitor/whatever is good for aluminium as it has much higher corrosion that the original radiator)

It is up to you however, if you live south of Sydney perhaps coolant is ideal for you. But it is not recommended for the track or high temp street driving/modified engines. Just make sure you use distilled water and corrosion inhibitor that is suitable for your type of radiator.

Ohhh yeah, and do bleed the system while running- the bleed screw is the one in front of the plenum that says "do not open while hot", so open it when it's cold.

Makes sense to me :P

So am I able to buy this Nulon radiator treatment anywhere? (as in Autobarn, supercheap, motoquipe)?

Sorry this might sound stupid, but where can i get genuine nissan stuff? (Coolant)

Thanks

just had my engine built and the guys at the engineers said only use genuine nissan coolant... so yeah thats my suggestion

The Nulon additive is called something like Supercool or some such silly name. It's dark green and comes in 500mL for 10L. Says on the back DOES NOT CONTAIN GLYCOL.

But hey it's up to you. I'm not saying don't run Nissan coolant, but I wouldn't assume that it's the best to use considering this is Australia not Japan and especially if you have an aluminium (replacement) radiator.