SAU Community

Twin Turbo Into Single

handyandy

Hi guys, it's been ages but i finally have my car back. I had a 26/30 built and thrown into my r33gtst.

Cause of money issues i stuck twin stock r33 gtr turbos on the side. Now the funds are looking a bit better i'm thinking

of putting a single low mount manifold and a gt3040r iw 600hp.

I'm leaning towards this cause the gtst pfc doesn't like the twin setup.

The engine was built to last so my questions are....

1: where to buy a manifold from? (i've looked but cant seem to find any)

2 : how do you think this turbo will suit? (the car is mainly a weekend car but id like to see it on the track occasionlly)

cheers Simon

hi andy

you can find manifolds from a few places, gcg.com.au have them also check out calaisturbo.com.au as they would have some good contacts for suitable RB manfiolds

or you can check out the sau official business traders. for the turbo it is much the same, ideally but the turbo and manifold from the same place, this will ensure the flange matches and its the correct fit. you should make sure you are familiar with the common turbocharger technology before you go and spend your $

Hi guys, it's been ages but i finally have my car back. I had a 26/30 built and thrown into my r33gtst.

Cause of money issues i stuck twin stock r33 gtr turbos on the side. Now the funds are looking a bit better i'm thinking

of putting a single low mount manifold and a gt3040r iw 600hp.

I'm leaning towards this cause the gtst pfc doesn't like the twin setup.

The engine was built to last so my questions are....

1: where to buy a manifold from? (i've looked but cant seem to find any)

2 : how do you think this turbo will suit? (the car is mainly a weekend car but id like to see it on the track occasionlly)

cheers Simon

33 pfc does not like the twins ???

mount the afm in the intercooler piping and use what ever turbo setup you want

To do properly the larger single costs significantly more than parallel twins - up to the power limit of integrally gated twins that is .

There are several ways to approach the AFM issues , a single can meter air before or after the twin turbos or you could sell your PFC for an RB26 one though fitting that involves a fair bit of wiring and the two AFM's .

My opinion only but I don't think any single scroll T3 flanged turbo on an RB26 is a good thing . These engines were designed to have free flowing gas paths on the inlet and exhaust sides and they got their power from a lot of flow without a lot of pressure (restriction increases pressure) . I don't think its any coincidence that when HKS had their single turbo cast manifold made for the RB26 it was split pulsed and T4 flanged for good reasons . There are limits to how much gas flow you can get through a T3 sized flange before the restriction forces a pressure rise . The T4 flange is significantly larger and if in split pulsed form this is not a problem with a divided turbine housing . How that system works is a lot more flow for a lot less restriction and more ideal gas pulses from the turbines and engines points of view .

Anyhow many here don't see this as any advantage once they work out what its all going to cost . Parallel twins are effectively split pulsed because each turbine nozzle only communicates with either front or rear three cylinders like a split pulsed twin scroll system does . With the latter system your up for manifold gate/s and turbo where with the former you only need direct fit turbos and they generally have their own integral waste gates .

Your money your call .