SAU Community

Gibson Gt-r

I was incredibly saddened to hear of Anders Oloffson's passing. At such a young age too.

Jetwreck, thanks for the amazing pictures! I don't suppose you have any of the start of the Great Race from 1990, 1991 and 1992 do you?

Also, I am looking for good clear pictures of the interior of the Gibson R32 GT-Rs from when they raced (1990, 1991 and 1992) - and also of Channel 7's Racecam camera. I'd like to see how it was mounted, where precisely it was mounted, the size of the camera, where any cabling went to etc. It's an odd question I know, but this is one detail of the cars that no-one ever mentions and that I don't have any pictures of (unless I took a screen grab from the race coverage...)

They got mounted on the cross bracing just behind the driver. Reason you don't see them much is that channel 7 removed them after the cars finished racing for obvious reasons. They were fairly large/heavy.

If you get some footage of the 92 race you will see Jim Richards giving the thing a funny look when the extinguisher foam that filled the interior of the car (went off for no good reason) came off the lense of the camera & flew past him.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was incredibly saddened to hear of Anders Oloffson's passing. At such a young age too.

Jetwreck, thanks for the amazing pictures! I don't suppose you have any of the start of the Great Race from 1990, 1991 and 1992 do you?

Also, I am looking for good clear pictures of the interior of the Gibson R32 GT-Rs from when they raced (1990, 1991 and 1992) - and also of Channel 7's Racecam camera. I'd like to see how it was mounted, where precisely it was mounted, the size of the camera, where any cabling went to etc. It's an odd question I know, but this is one detail of the cars that no-one ever mentions and that I don't have any pictures of (unless I took a screen grab from the race coverage...)

Sorry mate,

The closest pic I have of the any of the starts is the one with the R31 in it. I have good inside images of #1 Winfield car...but the were all taken just after Terry Ashwood had done it up.

I have looked through my pictures and I have none with cameras in the cars. Like the ones in our cars, they were most likely put in on the Friday night and removed on Sunday straight after the race, so not much opportunity to take pictures with them in place.

Cheers

Gary

Gary, Jet and djr81

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

I think I may have to study the paused images from the 1992 highlights DVD to get a feel for the camera. I assumed it was quite large and heavy (it was 1992....) but I thought if anyone anywhere would have pics, someone here would! My next stop will probably be Channel 7's motorsport department. I'd say any request I put to them may be filed in the cylindrical filing cabinet on the floor.....

Jet - I'd love to see any pics you have of the Winfield before or after Terry's restoration. I have seen the pics from Zoom magazine, but if you have any others.... :(

Thanks everyone for the discussion and the pictures. It's great!

Cheers

Andrew

I was lucky enough to be at bathurst for the 1992 Great race, i was 11 ;)

My old lady taped it for me on VHS, which I still have it to this day..but the sound doesn't work any, more ive watched it too much haha

VID! DECA 2006 Skyline Nationals.

Hi B.J,

Thanks for the Vid....now I have proof he did DECA....Dad told me he had never been there before....lol. His that old he probably forgot...rofl!!!

Edited by Jetwreck

Alright I'll bite... why is there an AFM screwed to the left-hand strut tower?

To actually answer your questions, you would have to ask the person who put it on the left-hand strut tower.......my reasoning is as follows:

• Looks Pretty
  • Balances the look of the engine bay i.e. Fung Sui
  • Only place it would fit
  • Give the car a balanced weight distribution

it's there as group A rules stated that a car equiped with an air flow meter as factory had to have one connected to the inlet tract to race in group A. since the engine management they used ran MAP sensors they got a stock AFM, bolted it to the engine bay, then plumbed it in with a small piece of vacuum hose. so it met the rules. a nice example of how race teams will bend the rules as much as possible.